Chance that national right to carry legislation will pass

This is a discussion on Chance that national right to carry legislation will pass within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Unfortunately, if I was a betting man, I would bet this isn't going to go far. It would be great if it did! Anyone have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Chance that national right to carry legislation will pass

Chance that national right to carry legislation will pass

Unfortunately, if I was a betting man, I would bet this isn't going to go far. It would be great if it did! Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the chances of this passing? The NRA article showed the current level of support, but I'm no expert on how much support would be needed for this thing to have a shot in hell of passing. Anyone care to chime in on if this bill realistically has a chance? We would all be celebrating if this passed. Well, unless some of us teach classes to get Fla or Utah permits lol. Time for each and every one of us to write to our representatives in government and go a step further and pass this info on to all of our buddies at the range! The NRA has a section on its website where you can contact all of your government reps by email and its way too easy to do, so there is no excuse not to! We all complain about this issue, so its time to stand up in force to let our government know how we feel about it! What a relief it would be to go on a trip without researching and worrying about reciprocity!
    CountryGal likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I guess I keep wondering if it is a good thing to nationalize this. States carry different rights that keep the Feds out of our business. Does anyone else think this may lead to a way for the government to take away as easy as it came? I fully agree having each state with it's own rules is a pain but I do not want to ever loose my right to protect myself. Just my thoughts.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

NRA already said it would not lead to a federal system. In fact, each state, like NY, could keep their exclusion zones as is. Ex need special permit for NY city etc. So laws will still be different state to state but there is no mention in this bill, and the NRA is stressing, it's intention is not to lead to a federal permit system.
    CountryGal likes this.

None. No chance with the Senate and the occupant in the White House.

Zip, Zero, Nada, Zilch, Snowball's chance in Hades. The current stae of poloitics in both houses will never agree. If they did, the current President would veto.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    States rights should always trump the feds. Period. The second the people allows this to happen the Union is completely done for.
    RoadKill, jem102, Tzadik and 2 others like this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Congress is very likely to be Republican in 2013. However, the McDonald decision says that 2A applies to the states. Seems Scotus is remanding to states on this. It's states' rights within Constitutional guidelines. Someday soon, I hope that the Constitution liberates citizens from states' arbitrary infringing on 2A.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I have no doubt if Perry ends up in the big house he would have no problem signing any pro carry second amendment bills,
    CountryGal likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I read that it has 242 co-sponsors in the house. It looks as if it may pass the house. The senate could be a sticking point, but we are already in an election season, so they may pass it on to O. O needs votes from all quarters if he is to remain in power so he may hold his nose and sign it. Stranger things have happened.

I would not bet on it going trough, but would not be totally surprised if it did. Whether it should or not has been debated here ad nauseum. If it does go through, I think it should be refered to as "the Hopyard bill" as he has been quite the proponent for it.
    Hopyard likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Congress is very likely to be Republican in 2013. However, the McDonald decision says that 2A applies to the states. Seems Scotus is remanding to states on this. It's states' rights within Constitutional guidelines. Someday soon, I hope that the Constitution liberates citizens from states' arbitrary infringing on 2A.
    I think the point of McDonald applying the 2A to the states is not a states rights issue but rather notation that the 2A restricts government at all levels, not just the federal government. It then goes on to allow restrictions to "shall not be infringed", but it does not define what reasonable restrictions are. They word these thing ls so they can stay busy for years.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

No way, no how..ain't happening...too many anti-gun legislators and lobbyists.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

I am totally opposed to the Fed's being involved and will write every letter, send every e-mail and make every phone call I can to stop this kind of Federal involvement. The states are gaining ground with reciprocity at a good rate and that is where the deals should be made.
    thephanatik likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

This would have a much better chance after the next election!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

If this gets to the Senate...

The most dangerous place inside the Beltway (between Chuck Schumer and a TV camera) will be even more crowded while watching him do his Fred Sandford impression (clutching his chest, ..."this is the big one...").

I would be greatly surprised if it happened...I doubt is will in the near future!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links