"To keep and to BEAR" - Page 2

"To keep and to BEAR"

This is a discussion on "To keep and to BEAR" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lol...you're not arguing with Mr Casey again are you?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: "To keep and to BEAR"

Lol...you're not arguing with Mr Casey again are you?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

yes, I have been debating with Dan Casey of the RT over the years. Oddly enough, through our sideline electronic communications, I have come to learn that his columnist persona is somewhat different than his actual personal views. He likes to get his blog post up, and nothing does that more than a controversial gun thread. Unfortunately, I have played into that. In his line of work, stirring up crap is good business. The RT is a very liberal paper, so that's how he gets his attaboys. I've been surprised by some of his personal positions offline, but it is his merry band of followers that regularly post that I have had the most heated debates. He tees it up and then lets the protagonists and antagonists go at it, poking them with a stick every now and then when the flames die down.

I really feel like I finally made a difference after many years when ol' Dan posted an anti gun thread and even his loyal band of merry anti followers even said, "You know Dan, it's getting old. In a free country, we just have to let the good people have guns just like the bad people and take our chances. We can't legislate safety." This was basically the message from a vast majority of his regulars...so I feel like I finally made a difference. It took a lot of time, energy, and perseverance but I finally got through. We still debate some of the finer points, but we always will.
    oakchas likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    yes, I have been debating with Dan Casey of the RT over the years. Oddly enough, through our sideline electronic communications, I have come to learn that his columnist persona is somewhat different than his actual personal views. He likes to get his blog post up, and nothing does that more than a controversial gun thread. Unfortunately, I have played into that. In his line of work, stirring up crap is good business. The RT is a very liberal paper, so that's how he gets his attaboys. I've been surprised by some of his personal positions offline, but it is his merry band of followers that regularly post that I have had the most heated debates. He tees it up and then lets the protagonists and antagonists go at it, poking them with a stick every now and then when the flames die down.

I really feel like I finally made a difference after many years when ol' Dan posted an anti gun thread and even his loyal band of merry anti followers even said, "You know Dan, it's getting old. In a free country, we just have to let the good people have guns just like the bad people and take our chances. We can't legislate safety." This was basically the message from a vast majority of his regulars...so I feel like I finally made a difference. It took a lot of time, energy, and perseverance but I finally got through. We still debate some of the finer points, but we always will.
    I kinda do the same thing here... mostly the columnists don't talk about gun rights... but some letters to the editor get the faithful in a lather... and some "news" articles do the same... it was in one of those free for alls that I got an actual died-in-the-wool-anti to give a hypothetical gun to a hypothetical victim being assaulted by a hypothetical murderer... And she tried very hard to resist doing so.. but in the end it was a box canyon with no way out... And she was really distraught over it...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I've come to learn that many of the bloggers on his column blog react to events with an emotional response of "OMG, we have to do something!!!" When you break it down into managable elements of the situation they realize that bit by bit their emotional reaction doesn't follow a logical conclusion.

Let's face it, none of us like when public attrocities happen. I live near Virginia Tech, the tragedy there was an emotional event. It was human tragedy and loss and it shook people's assumption of relative day-to-day safety to the core. My wife was on the campus that morning (left before the start of the carnage), so I understand the helpless feeling. I also understand that there are bad people in the world and regardless of the amount of legislation you can't prevent them from doing bad things. A little while after that fateful day, there was a male student that beheaded a female student in Blacksburg with a steak knife in a local coffee shop. No gun involved, yet it didn't prevent the crazy act. I found it odd that since it did not involve a gun, it got relatively little press coverage outside of the local area. Since the beginning of time, humans have committed attrocities against each other with rocks, sticks, poisons, spears, knives, slings, and guns. As technology may advance, humans tend to use these technologies to commit behaviors reverting back to pre-civilized levels. The more we advance in some ways, the more we revert back to unadvanced behaviors in others. You can't fix it. The only thing you can do is accept that in a free society there are some inherent risks associated with those freedoms and you have to assume responsibility for your own safety. Each person has to choose whether or not to be prepared, be armed, be trained, and even then there are no guarantees. Some people choose not to, and they are free to choose that. I just take issue when they think they should be able to take that choice away from the rest of us.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Wow, seems this newspaper columnist really is picking the amendment apart! I would certainly agree with you about the definition of "keep" and "bear".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links