House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

This is a discussion on House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last I knew there were complicated measures in place that allow for reciprocity of DLs. Originally there was a "compact" or legal agreement but now ...

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Last I knew there were complicated measures in place that allow for reciprocity of DLs. Originally there was a "compact" or legal agreement but now there's something else.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    All this is a work in progress. SCOTUS has ruled on many issues that apply to all Americans regardless of state. This is just the latest issue. No other settled Constitutional issue is fragmented like carry across state lines. Technically gun rights are not settled, yet, even though Heller only applies to guns in the home, the text of the decision talked about keep and bear. Another case is headed that way that should affirm the bear part. Th is just Congress trying to get ahead of the curve, and it's really a softball measure. If they were more serious they would make it Constitutional carry, CC or OC, completely Federalized and untouchable.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    ... If they were more serious they would make it Constitutional carry, CC or OC, completely Federalized and untouchable.
    Yeah, I'ma wait outside, I wanna see THAT manna fall from the heavens, dropped by an air brigade of flying pigs!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    How does reciprocity work now? Officer on the street contacts his dispatch who then contacts your home state police. Would work the exact same way.
    Currently most states recognize a handful of states. Now you are asking them to recognize 49 others. Logistically it is possible but even forcing the states to add one or two budgeted positions could be a burden they cannot handle at this time. It will make much more sense to add this info into the NCIC and allow immediate access to permit records by LE across the country. Which means even on calls to your home, they will possibly have you tagged as a firearm permit holder. I can only see anti-firearm states and agencies using this information to further their own agenda. I know they say that the NCIC is a controlled system but do you really think agencies like the ATF really care?

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Currently most states recognize a handful of states. Now you are asking them to recognize 49 others. Logistically it is possible but even forcing the states to add one or two budgeted positions could be a burden they cannot handle at this time. It will make much more sense to add this info into the NCIC and allow immediate access to permit records by LE across the country. Which means even on calls to your home, they will possibly have you tagged as a firearm permit holder. I can only see anti-firearm states and agencies using this information to further their own agenda. I know they say that the NCIC is a controlled system but do you really think agencies like the ATF really care?
    Phew! Thank God the government isn't smart enough (and is running out of money enough) to do THAT! Or sure enough what you say in the following sentences would certainly come to pass...

Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all... Sure sounds good on the surface... I guess I'll wait for Constitutional carry to be the law of the land... Guess I'll be booking a flight on Porcine Air when that happens.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Currently most states recognize a handful of states. Now you are asking them to recognize 49 others. Logistically it is possible but even forcing the states to add one or two budgeted positions could be a burden they cannot handle at this time.
    Not arguing....but why would a position or two need to be added? Do you feel this is going to increase the number of calls to check validity?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Not arguing....but why would a position or two need to be added? Do you feel this is going to increase the number of calls to check validity?
    If the number of calls increases, that will require manpower. Someone will need to man the phone and have access to the numbers, and be trained in who to call and how to call them and what information to get. Then ALL states will be required to have a number that can be called at all hours to check validity. I work in the system. I have been on the LE side, the court side, the prosecution side... and I know how this works. Now you are mandating by federal law that all states provide a way to check permit validity and have it available to agencies 24/7. it makes much more sense to mandate all data be entered into NCIC to avoid the cluster.... that will result when some of these paranoid anti-gun states like california and new york are encountering out of state individuals with firearms on traffic stops and other contacts. I also suspect that they may require a national must inform policy with this law, and if they don't do it in the beginning, I am sure the complaints from LE agencies nationwide will result in amendments adding NCIC data entry and must inform laws..... then will come the national healthcare database crosscheck for any mental issues and so forth disqualifying you..... mark my words..... over regulation cometh. Anyone that thinks the feds will just pass this and leave it alone has another thing coming.

Nah, they are throwing in the towel and making it look like they are giving us something without looking like they lost the battle.

Soon all states will have constitutional carry, the government realizes it's how it should be and this is the first step toward it.

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    LaPierre said, "It cuts across Democrats, Republicans, liberals, conservatives -- even President Obama's base is strongly in favor of this legislation”; do you not think it is very strange that Obama, one of the most anti-gun presidents in U.S. History, is "strongly in favor of this legislation"? Do you not think that something fishy might be going on?
    I was going to respond to that. Bottom line is the feds want control because they can red tape the states into giving control of not only the database and the process to them, then they can raise the fees, control who gets what, and effectively regulate it right out of existence is they so want to. They can and will screw this up with over regulation and ridiculousness. As they do with everything else. Have the states give up control only to abolish it completely under the reasonable restrictions loophole heller left us. People think I am crazy for saying this and that it will never happen..... but I think it can and will. Keep the feds out of it.
    In other words, you think that something fishy might be going on. Well, let me tell you that you are not the only one that thinks in that way.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Unless there are enough votes in the senate to override Obama's veto, I don't see this becoming law. It is most likely an attempt by pro-gun house members trying to prove that they are doing something for the gun owners at home so they can get re-elected.

Senior Moderator
    I have a better chance of being elected Pope than this bill does of becoming law.

And I'm not Catholic.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    I have a better chance of being elected Pope than this bill does of becoming law.

And I'm not Catholic.
    Well, The House should pass it and see what happens. I think it is veto proof, and I don't think it will be vetoed.

I just don't understand the opposition here to a sensible bill which will make life easier for most of us when we travel.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Moderator
    It would never get through the Senate, and it would probably never even get brought up for a vote there.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

It would never get through the Senate, and it would probably never even get brought up for a vote there.
    I have done my best to see it doesn't!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

It only lost by 2 votes in the Senate last time around.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Links