House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines - Page 2

House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

This is a discussion on House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An interesting parallel to this discussion would be gay marriage. I mention it, not to take this thread off course, but to point out that ...

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    An interesting parallel to this discussion would be gay marriage. I mention it, not to take this thread off course, but to point out that we could easily substitute another states rights concept and see if / how opinions change given that this is predominately a Conservative forum. Both are cases where some states have issued a status to its residents and other states choose whether or not to recognize that status. Ultimately, this too will need to be settled by the SCOTUS. The difference being that gun ownership has constitutional protections, whereas marriage does not. However, the subset of concealed carry has been determined to be restrict-able, placing it in the same category of legislation determined doctrine.

@Noway2 - you are correct about gay marriage except there is the Defense of Marriage Act which allows states to ignore gay marriage and is currently being challenged.

With that said, yes, it is possible that the feds are "giving" a right that can be taken away (ie, reciprocity similar to drivers' licenses). However, with the current SCOTUS, there is original intent in the Constitution with respect to travel between the states and the need for a drivers' license or ability to CC. With gay marriage, there is no original intent and they will have no problem arguing John Locke and natural law, the Bible, etc. I am not worried about the feds invovlement here.

The only reason the fed would consider this, is to make you pay more taxes on your license
    jem102 likes this.
    ”And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms….The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

This legislation takes us in the wrong direction.

We don't need licensure to keep and bear. More regulations, more stipulations, more red tape. All it does is give more power to state and fed to limit, and control our rights to self-defense.

Reciprocal license arguments like driver's or pilot's licenses won't fly. To drive or fly isn't a sacred right pertaining to life.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    I agree this is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Its hard for me to understand the intent and wisdom of the NRA's support for this initiative.
    Last edited by Saber; September 14th, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
    jem102 likes this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

It would seem to me that people living in California, New York and Illinois would welcome a "National" CCW permit. I am on the fence over whether this is a good thing or not. I understand the fear that once it's in place there is the possibilty of it being ammended later to tax it into obscurity, or make it impossible to get unless your "connected". However there is just as likely a scenario where a law is passed that does the same thing on it's own. In fact it would seem this would be a simpler more direct route. All the anti's need to do is word it in a way that the SCOTUS can't or won't overturn it.

I also do not completely agree with the argument that "My state will protect my rights, the federal government wants to take it away." Again reference Illinois. The state is more restrictive than the feds. Whats to prevent a major shakeup in say Texas or Arizona where the anti's come into power and start making more restrictive laws. It would seem the best solution is to try to change the opinions of antis and those on the fence by using sound proven facts and by leading by example, being safe, and showing those that will listen that responsible gun owners can make the world safer for all.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    properly worded until the liberals fine a way to amend it to their liking later on.....I'll pass.
    If you apply your view that a piece of legislation is bad because "The other side" may be able to amend it in the future to do something else you could use that to argue against ALL legislation. Heck, you could use it to argue against anything.
    PSLOwner likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the feds supposed to monitor interactions between states? It would be illegal for them to start actually regulating the process to get the license. I know that the comparison to drivers license is not very popular here, but it seems the same. There is not federal guideline to guarantee or prevent an individual a driver's license. The only guideline for firearms is the age limit, and besides that it is up to the state to determine how they assign licenses. I guess I would like to see the wording before I condemn the bill as it would add synergy into traveling in between states and D.C.

Thumbs up House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

Lawmakers are considering a House bill that would give Americans who hold permits to carry firearms in their home states the right to carry their weapons across state lines.

House Weighs Bill To Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines | Fox News

I'm glad to hear that it won't involve the feds. I would also be curious how this would take effect in states like Illinois where it's almost impossible to own or carry a firearm...

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    If the bill writers have any sense (not likely)and intend for the permitee's county to continue to issue the permits, they would include in this bill a provision to remove a State's right to issue an out-of-state CCW permit. If you already have a permit it won't matter, but if your local county Sheriff, (E.G. San Diego) refuses to issue you will have no recourse and won't be able to carry concealed anywhere. There is your hidden end run.
    Has anyone found the actual text of the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    If the bill writers have any sense (not likely)and intend for the permitee's county to continue to issue the permits, they would include in this bill a provision to remove a State's right to issue an out-of-state CCW permit. If you already have a permit it won't matter, but if your local county Sheriff, (E.G. San Diego) refuses to issue you will have no recourse and won't be able to carry concealed anywhere. There is your hidden end run.
    Has anyone found the actual text of the bill?
    Until last year, Iowa was a "may issue" state, with 99 counties, there were 99 different ways of interpreting whether you could get a permit or not... So, I see your point here... but then it becomes incumbent on the citizen's of the state to change the law...

And you Californians have that process well in hand (ahem) with Prop number this and Prop number that, and recall votes, and all the "powers" you give yourselves over your state government...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

So should this bill pass..............Hmmmm.
    If one has to defend himself, does this now become a case in Federal Court too......?
    Seems like more governmental angency dollars to spend........and a way of swaying voters to the other side.

I don't get it................really.
    And I suppose the NRA figures this may well be a stepping stone in the right direction.......I dunno.

Senior Moderator
    All bills start out with good intent.

The problem is that they end up often looking very different than what they started out as, due to compromise.

We know that some members of Congress are extremely anti-gun. When that bill goes to a committee and gets discussed by all parties, liberal,conservative,pro-American,pro-U.N., nothing in it will stay the same.

The libs that dont like it will insist on compromises, because that it what they do for a living. If a bill every surfaces that they dont like, they take it as their job to water it down as much as possible. Its not just the libs though, its all parties involved. Its a big game to them, and they care not if it's good for the country or not, because that is not part of their agenda and its the very reason that it often seems that the law that are passed are hostile Americans that work for a living.

The Special Interest groups will line up do their best to muddle up the circumstances of the bill that does not suit their agenda. They will wine and dine those involved, and they'll do it day and night for however long it takes.

Think about it. This bill would make the founders and followers of the Brady Bunch lose sleep and make their stomachs upset everytime they think about it. They( and thats just one group) would work around the clock to kill that bill and if they can get it killed through influence, or corruption, or bribes, they will do what they can to make it worthless.

Thus, a bill as simple as a just a couple of phrases on a sheet of paper that can have an affect on every citizen in this country, can be passed that dosent even resemble what it started out as.

We all talk about states rights and the fact that the Federal Government is limited to what it can do as far as interfering with states rights. That might have been true before the Civil War, but since then the Federal Government has made it their priority to meddle in the affairs of states. Sure, they give it lip service, but it many cases,they do whatever they dang well please.

I see this bill no differerntly than dangling a carrot in front of a starving horse to get him to move. Once you get him moving, he can pull any load that he is capbable of when he figures out that he is hungry enough.

If this bill passes, it will be the beggining of the end of our right to bear arms. Yes, it might take a while. Or it might not. Once a flood gate on a dam is open, it takes a lot more force to close it than it does to open it further.

What seems good now, we may all learn to hate in the future. Based on past practices and how things really work, its not a chance or a CHANGE that I am willing to make.

Under the radar gun control?

You'd better beleive it.

The next question is...how many of you are going to fall for it?
    GM and jem102 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

HotGuns.

Do you like the LEOSA law? It's a federal law, passed by Congress that allows LEO retired or active to CC across state lines.
    Or do you think that's screwed up as well?

Here for all to peruse is the actual text of the bill as it now stands...

H.R.822.IH:
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    No...I dont like LEOSA. What started out as an excellent idea got watered down by the panywaists up North that didnt like the idea of their officers carrying a gun off duty.

It has been the subject of much controversy because of the way it is written and the wording used. Rather than use simple, plain, common sense English, its written in a way that leads some to beleive that they could still force their officers to not carry their guns while off duty.

I used to keep up with it on various forums and all of the discussion it generated, both good and bad until I figured out that it was a waste of my time.

What good people do not understand, is that tryrants,crooks, and common thugs, whether they wear a fancy 3 piece suit, a uniform or they look like a scuzball, will use what the law says or not says to their advantage...and when its a thug that you work for, one that gives your paycheck, it never seems to work to your advantage.

Here's some news for you. We didn't need LEOSA where I live. If you were a cop, common sense prevailed. If I stopped a cop and he was carrying, its not a big deal to veriify his authenticity. LEOSA was written for people with zero common sense, for Police Chiefs, Sheriffs and others that thought their little kingdoms were the same everywhere you go.

LEOSA has been the source of much confusion because of the exact reasons that I stated in my previous post. Dont beleive it? Ask 10 cops what it says, and see how many answers you get. I've done it. I've put the question to a full room of cops during training sessions. The answers will boggle you mind. Why ? What started out as a good bill got perverted, subverted and given vague language by politicians that make a living of mucking things up to the point that only a lawyer can understand it.

Yes, I have and continue to use LEOSA. Fact of the matter is...the only place that I ever really needed it was in California.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links