House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines - Page 4

House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

This is a discussion on House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by azchevy Exactly, same thing with national reciprocity ;) You have the right to keep and bear arms in all of those states.... ...

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Exactly, same thing with national reciprocity ;)

You have the right to keep and bear arms in all of those states.... this is going to be a slippery slope
    Actually national reciprocity IS covered by the Constitution.

2nd Amendment:
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Article 4 - The States
    Section 1 - Each State to Honor all Others

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
    Like I said, SCOTUS could do this at any time, and I wish they would. But either way, it IS the federal government's role in this case to protect our rights to keep and bear arms.

If SCOTUS would enforce the 2nd Amendment in the way that the Founders intended, all of this would be moot, but the Article 4/Section 1 I quoted above would suffice for permit holders.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post

Like I said, SCOTUS could do this at any time, and I wish they would. But either way, it IS the federal government's role in this case to protect our rights to keep and bear arms.

If SCOTUS would enforce the 2nd Amendment in the way that the Founders intended, all of this would be moot, but the Article 4/Section 1 I quoted above would suffice for permit holders.
    Amen.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post

If the Constitution was enforced as the framers intended... there would be no talk of permits ;)
    TN_Mike likes this.

I forgot to add that there is a part of the current draft of the bill that ensures the freedom of the States to issue licenses/permits how ever they please will not be affected.

"(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to preempt any provision of State law with respect to the issuance of licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms."

I thought the 2nd Amendment gave us that right already.
    Old Reb

"Know guns, know peace and know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety."
    Army Retired
    VFW Member
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldreb View Post
    I thought the 2nd Amendment gave us that right already.
    So did the Founders.

I really just posted that for the people posting earlier saying that the feds would come in and start controlling everything about CC. It has always been and should always be a state right.

So, hypothetically, the feds pass this law. Now the law is passed so the next session they realize they have to have some continuity and control so they decide all states need to submit the databases of their permit holders to the agency that will be overseeing this to prevent counterfeiting and ensure that they are still legal.... lets say the BATFE. Now they cross reference that database with their Obamacare database to ensure nobody as had any questionable diagnosis such as mental illness, brain injuries, on any narcotics for pain.... etc. Hmmm lets see Joe Schmoe is an outspoken activist for open carry... or for the tea party... or we just think he is a threat... lets make up some form of LE contact with him and get him to an obamacare doctor who will diagnose him as having mental illness and therefore we can now revoke his permit and right to own a firearm.... it's all right here in this handy little database we can now cross reference.....

You see where I am going with this? Farfetched? I don't think so. You really want this federally regulated and mandated? I would rather just not spend my tourist or tax dollars in communist holes like california.
    TN_Mike likes this.

So, hypothetically, the feds pass this law. Now the law is passed so the next session they realize they have to have some continuity and control so they decide all states need to submit the databases of their permit holders to the agency that will be overseeing this to prevent counterfeiting and ensure that they are still legal.... lets say the BATFE. Now they cross reference that database with their Obamacare database to ensure nobody as had any questionable diagnosis such as mental illness, brain injuries, on any narcotics for pain.... etc. Hmmm lets see Joe Schmoe is an outspoken activist for open carry... or for the tea party... or we just think he is a threat... lets make up some form of LE contact with him and get him to an obamacare doctor who will diagnose him as having mental illness and therefore we can now revoke his permit and right to own a firearm.... it's all right here in this handy little database we can now cross reference.....

You see where I am going with this? Farfetched? I don't think so. You really want this federally regulated and mandated? I would rather just not spend my tourist or tax dollars in communist holes like california.
    I should be able to go anywhere I choose and not worry about whether I can carry or not. All things being equal I would rather not go there either, but sometimes I can't get the family to all come up here.

And really, your analogy would be great for something like a "national permit" or even something like LEOSA, but in this case it's just a mandate. A database would require a separate Act, which I believe would be rejected, and wouldn't pass Constitutional muster anyway.

/I actually shuddered when I read "Obamacare database".

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH azchevy!!!! He is right on the money here.

I'm not too concerned about it at this point as I think it has almost no chance of passing. But I still maintain that the Fed shouldn't be involved at all in carry agreements between states. I have said it for as long as this has been proposed (and this has come up year after year), what the Federal Government gets involved with gets screwed up. If they are allowed to be involved with carry statutes at all, they will either A) screw it up, B) Limit it or worse case C) find a way to deny it altogether.

The Federal Government needs to stay out of it. The ATF is an abortion and needs to be dismantled completely. Letting the agency involved in the Fast and Furious scandal and Gunrunner scandal be involved with our ability to carry across state lines is a disaster waiting to happen!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My understanding is that someone from PA would be able to carry in NJ (NJ is a may issue state). Me being a NJ resident, would never be able to carry in NJ as NJ doesn't actually issue permits.

If the Constitution was enforced as the framers intended... there would be no talk of permits ;)
    Didn't notice this little gem. You are 100% correct, I'm sure most of the Founders are spinning in their graves over our abandonment of the 2nd Amendment, and the rest of the Constitution for that matter.

JD
    Administrator
    I think I got all the Obama care posts, please keep it on topic as related to 822.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I think I got all the Obama care posts, please keep it on topic as related to 822.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.
    Thank you.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links