House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

This is a discussion on House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by oldreb I thought the 2nd Amendment gave us that right already. It does....but many states throw into their constitution a second amendment ...

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

Quote Originally Posted by oldreb View Post
    I thought the 2nd Amendment gave us that right already.
    It does....but many states throw into their constitution a second amendment provision, regulating the carrying of guns. Or they simply omit a second amendment provision..NY, NJ, Mass, Ma and Ca.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Maybe if the SCOTUS finally says that "bear arms" means what it says, all CC permits will become worthless anyway.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    So how would the bill deal with a state like New Jersey? If the bill passed, you could travel through New Jersey with your (permited weapon from another state) but with Jersey"s outlawing Hollow point ammo for civilians, could you carry your weapon with your SD rounds in it, or would you have to stop at the state line and unload your weapon, throw away the HP rounds and reload with ball or FMJ???
    Seems to me it would be hard to pass a bill like this, without standardizing the laws from state to state.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I trust the government, they watch out for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    So how would the bill deal with a state like New Jersey? If the bill passed, you could travel through New Jersey with your (permited weapon from another state) but with Jersey"s outlawing Hollow point ammo for civilians, could you carry your weapon with your SD rounds in it, or would you have to stop at the state line and unload your weapon, throw away the HP rounds and reload with ball or FMJ???
    Seems to me it would be hard to pass a bill like this, without standardizing the laws from state to state.
    Yep because now you have capacity limits that vary from state to state, ammo bans, firearms not on approved lists ( like the KGB, I mean CADOJ list).....

Then of course there are LEO individuals, and or departments that just don't care what the law is and will arrest you anyway, causing months of hardship and fees fighting in court to clear yourself and or get your firearm back.....

VIP Member
    I think not many of you folks travel. If you did you'd realize the ridiculousness of our present arrangement and the immediate need for it to be improved through this legislation.

I also think too many of you haven't the slightest idea how your posts harm our interests as gun owners.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I might consider it if there was a provision to eliminate the BATFE (without a successor organization)...to include eliminating funding for operations and personnel. Move their forensics and analysis to the FBI.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Just as now, you would have to plan to obey the laws of the states you go through.

Here's an example of why we need the law and why this hollow point issue is really just a red-herring.

I periodically drive from Texas to CT. Presently I face problems with West Virginia, New Jersey, New York, and CT (though that one could be fixed with a CT non-resident permit). If this law passed my Texas license would be good for the entire trip, in all places, and the only issue I'd need to concern myself with is
    not bringing hollow points through NJ, and not taking a high cap magazine as I assume those are banned in NY. These are minor matters as compared to not being able to carry at all.

This law would benefit me personally. And I am certain I am far from the only person with similar travel concerns.
    JJVP and grouse like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    No state to state standardization would be needed. And we don't even have that with traffic laws.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post

Yep because now you have capacity limits that vary from state to state, ammo bans, firearms not on approved lists ( like the KGB, I mean CADOJ list).....

Then of course there are LEO individuals, and or departments that just don't care what the law is and will arrest you anyway, causing months of hardship and fees fighting in court to clear yourself and or get your firearm back.....
    No different than it would be if your state signed a reciprocity agreement. You have to be aware of the laws of the state you're going to or through, and adjust accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think not many of you folks travel. If you did you'd realize the ridiculousness of our present arrangement and the immediate need for it to be improved through this legislation.

I also think too many of you haven't the slightest idea how your posts harm our interests as gun owners.
    I'm always a little confused when you post something I agree with

In reality, it's another example of our group of "Gun Rights Supporters" being easily splintered.

I'm from Illinois, and I love this idea just for the fact that it will bring people with their CCW into Illinois...I hope this passes and makes Pat Quinn cry at night. At the same time though it could be perverted later on to restrict arm's rights, and actually be a bad thing....
    Springfield XD Sub-Compact 40S&W
    Ruger 10/22
    Winchester 1300 20ga
    Mossberg 500 12ga

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    I'm from Illinois, and I love this idea just for the fact that it will bring people with their CCW into Illinois...I hope this passes and makes Pat Quinn cry at night. At the same time though it could be perverted later on to restrict arm's rights, and actually be a bad thing....
    Actually... if I were an Illinois resident, I wouldn't want this to pass until CCW gets passed in IL. I can see it being a bit of ammunition for the anti-CCW politicians there. "If we pass this CCW law, then those horrible people that want to come to our state and spend money could be ARMED and there's NOTHING we can do about it."

I'm not an Illinois resident, so I support this bill... And I sure would like to visit Chicago sometime, but I'm sure not going if I can't carry

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just as now, you would have to plan to obey the laws of the states you go through.

Here's an example of why we need the law and why this hollow point issue is really just a red-herring.

I periodically drive from Texas to CT. Presently I face problems with West Virginia, New Jersey, New York, and CT (though that one could be fixed with a CT non-resident permit). If this law passed my Texas license would be good for the entire trip, in all places, and the only issue I'd need to concern myself with is
    not bringing hollow points through NJ, and not taking a high cap magazine as I assume those are banned in NY. These are minor matters as compared to not being able to carry at all.

This law would benefit me personally. And I am certain I am far from the only person with similar travel concerns.
    Even with passage of the bill you would still have issues. The NYC ban (without special permit) would remain in place. The only way around it (pun intended) would be to change your route through NY state rather than NYC. That would cure your West Virginia issue, also your New Jersey issue and as you stated you could resolve your Ct. issue with a non-resident permit.

So as I see it you could alleviate your problems with a hundred mile or so re-route of your trip, and the acquisition of a Connecticut non-resident CCW permit.
    Then the rest of us wouldn't have to bow down and kiss the politicians butts and beg them to pass a bill we don't like, and don't want, just so YOU won't be inconvienced on your trips.

As I see it here sir, the main difference between you and me, is that you trust the government and I don't.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I travel on a motorcycle and my Arizona CCW permit is accepted in 35 states. I avoid the kommie infested states on the left and right coast. Also, Arizona recognizes ALL out of state CCW permits.

See how easy it can be. So, why have the feds get involved?

Even with passage of the bill you would still have issues. The NYC ban (without special permit) would remain in place. The only way around it (pun intended) would be to change your route through NY state rather than NYC. That would cure your West Virginia issue, also your New Jersey issue and as you stated you could resolve your Ct. issue with a non-resident permit.

So as I see it you could alleviate your problems with a hundred mile or so re-route of your trip, and the acquisition of a Connecticut non-resident CCW permit.
    Then the rest of us wouldn't have to bow down and kiss the politicians butts and beg them to pass a bill we don't like, and don't want, just so YOU won't be inconvienced on your trips.

As I see it here sir, the main difference between you and me, is that you trust the government and I don't.
    I see where you get your nickname from

Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post
    I travel on a motorcycle and my Arizona CCW permit is accepted in 35 states. I avoid the kommie infested states on the left and right coast. Also, Arizona recognizes ALL out of state CCW permits.

See how easy it can be. So, why have the feds get involved?
    He gave you one example. How about mine? My girlfriend's family is based mostly in Northern California. A bunch of them have moved to Oregon (where I have a nonres permit, which you can't get if you're not in a neighboring state), where I can carry to and through, but once I hit the California state line, I'm not legal anymore.

Or my other one... I'm supposed to be going to Hawaii in November.

Sure, I can evade going through most non-ccw states if my destination allows CCW, but what if you have to do business or family things in a non-ccw state?

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Links