House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

This is a discussion on House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I found this when visiting other forum: "Lawmakers are considering a House bill that would give Americans who hold permits to carry firearms in their ...

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

GM [OP]

I found this when visiting other forum:

"Lawmakers are considering a House bill that would give Americans who hold permits to carry firearms in their home states the right to carry their weapons across state lines "

House Weighs Bill To Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines | Fox News
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The NY, Illinois, California, etc, political machines will love that, if it passes.
    Mitchell and nerdyvirgin like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I am totally against it because I don't want the Fed's involved in it.

The reason is simple, the ATF was originally ONLY to collect taxes on alcohol. Look at where that has gone. Although the bill has nothing bad in it right now, once the Fed's have a "statute" to mess with ... it can be expanded , modified, changed, etc by anyone in the future .... to the point where it not only does this, but could be used to define the requirements to get a CC license, when, where, how , and the anti's could use this to start putting in so many restrictions that it becomes totally absurd.

If I was anti-gun, I would love this bill........ looking at what it can be amended to include in the future. I would prefer it stay with the states, where we can all push and effect the laws and legislation.... whereas in Wash DC , it's zilch.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

ITW
    Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to pass.

It's a complicated issue, and no doubt would contain a provision allowing states to opt out if desired.

This is the problem with the states rights issue. The European Union is currently experiencing problems because non of its members states want to abide by a unified authority. Same problem here. So expect a mishmash of ridiculously complicated laws as everyone tries to get their way or the highway.

The state of S.C. which has higher standards than some states, wont recognize some other states permits and vice versa.

For example, Georgia has no training requirement. So S.C. says no. Alabama allows 18 y.o. to possess permits. S.C. says no. Mississippi is the same I believe. So in return these states say no to S.C.'s permit.

That's why I just applied for my Florida non-res permit today.

What's ironic is, I can apply for a non-resident permit in Florida and legally carry in those states as well. It's a moronic system. But no doubt better than nothing, or by letting the feds muck up.

I mean you want to know what the feds do to remedy the problem. Just take a look at the GFSZ act. A completely unnecessary piece of legislation, and hysterical reaction not meant to protect schools at all.

It's not going to pass...so I would not get too concerned about it.....the government (ATF) would just screw it up anyway....
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

They should concentrate more on nationwide right to keep and bear arms....
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    It's ANTI-STATES RIGHTS AND it wastes time and resources we should be using to get other ANTI-GUN laws off the books.
    Saber and jem102 like this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

They could put this under the ATF, and then I'm sure Obama would want to issue various "regulations" outside of Congress too. Whooopeeee, wouldn't that be fun. Talk about 'gun registration"... coming soon to a town near you.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Do NOT WANT!!!

Use some common sense guys, this is a bad bad idea.
    jem102 likes this.

All of you against this. You got driver's licenses? Do you ever cross state lines? How well does that work for you? Pretty seamless isn't it?

You're not necessarily involved in interstate commerce when you go visit cousin so and so in Oklahomy, so why should the federal law requiring other states to recognize your license apply to you and your "man van" full of the kiddies? Isn't that interfereing with state's rights to keep out what they may consider riff raff? Heck, those of us from North of the Mason Dixon might never be allowed to retire to the south if that was the case.

I've got a pilot's license too, it's valid in all 50 as well. Never had to stop for an inspection in Illinois or MO, or anywhere else I flew...

Now, I know, in many many ways you're right... Given the opportunity to mess it up if anyone can do it... the Feds can... And I really don't want BATFEDS to handle it, cause they can screw up perfectly good things with apparent ease. But a properly worded federal law requiring all states to honor one another's permits, without prejudice could be a good thing.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    But a properly worded federal law requiring all states to honor one another's permits, without prejudice could be a good thing.
    properly worded until the liberals fine a way to amend it to their liking later on.....I'll pass.
    jem102 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I cross state lines often, out in the real west it is like a checkerboard, ok here, not there. Got to have 3 permits for most of the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    They could put this under the ATF, and then I'm sure Obama would want to issue various "regulations" outside of Congress too. Whooopeeee, wouldn't that be fun. Talk about 'gun registration"... coming soon to a town near you.
    There is no ATF involved. If you have a CHL from your state, it would be recognized by all other states that have concealed carry. Just like your drivers license. Simple as that. No need for states to give or deny reciprocity. It sucks that a California or NY ccw can carry in TX, but TX CHL can't carry in those states.

Now, if it had been a federal concealed carry license, then that would be another story. He who giveth can taketh away. No way I would support the federal government having anything to do with concealed carry permits.
    Hopyard, tcox4freedom and Buckj like this.

I've said it before, many times. We either need this, or we need SCOTUS to start enforcing the 2nd Amendment and Article IV, Sec 1 of the Constitution. Until then, you'll never be able to get one permit that allows you to travel.

Everyone likes to scream "more rights, more rights", then when someone tries to give them more rights, they say "Get the government out of it". Make up your minds, either the Federal government gets involved in their Constitutional obligation to protect our right to keep and bear arms and other enumerated and unenumerated rights as defined in the Constitution, or give your guns to the G-Man.

If this passes, it will be the first time in my lifetime that the federal government will have protected us from the states' infringement on our rights. This is the job that the Founders defined for the Federal government in the first place.

There are no "States' Rights" in this case. Many of you parade it around during these debates, and parrot how the 10th amendment supposedly defines them. Here's the actual text of the 10th amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
    In this case, with RTKBA, it's a power "prohibited by [the United States] to the States" as defined in the 2nd Amendment.

It's the Fed's JOB to enforce national reciprocity, or eliminate the permitting system entirely. I would rather SCOTUS did it, but the two cases (McDonald and Heller) that crossed their collective desks and gave them the opportunity were considered and opined on narrowly. They could have easily made a simple ruling of "The text of the 2nd Amendment defines that everyone has the right to carry a firearm in any manner (openly or concealed) as they see fit, and any permitting system violates the 2nd Amendment if it is not shall-issue". But no, they didn't, they chose to ignore the opportunity, so now we have to go to the next level... legislation.
    Brass63, Fitch and CountryGal like this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    It's amazing how apparent the stupidity of the law and those in the system becomes when you look at the way they try to regulate a protected right of law-abiding citizens, spouting rhetoric which is designed, apparently, to allow the criminal element to prosper and the weak and feeble (who need extra power) to struggle and cower in the corner of their bedrooms, all in the name of some moron named 'Brady' and their cronies.
    dyuille likes this.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links