Judge Bars Enforcement Of Gun Gag Bill on health care providers - Page 5

Judge Bars Enforcement Of Gun Gag Bill on health care providers

This is a discussion on Judge Bars Enforcement Of Gun Gag Bill on health care providers within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by noway2 This is where there needs to be a distinction between responding to a situation based upon evidence, such as of abuse, ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Judge Bars Enforcement Of Gun Gag Bill on health care providers

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    This is where there needs to be a distinction between responding to a situation based upon evidence, such as of abuse, and a generalized fishing expedition. The questioning that brought about this legislation was of the latter variety. The medical and insurance industries have already demonstrated the desire and willingness to impose sanctions on those who engage in behaviors or criteria that they think are detrimental. This is another step on that very slippery slope.
    Situations like this are exactly why the question about guns doesn't belong in the exam room in the first place. Where does one persons rights end and another persons rights begin? Abuse should be visible, not just to the doctor but to teachers, other parents, the barber and a host of other people. Why should guns be up for debate in the exam room? The parent might shoot the child? C'mon ....
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

For jumpwing and noway2, Ya'll are exactly right. I think I explaind my thinking a little further down in my post.
    Based on evidence at hand, Doc should ask certin questions. But the outright "Does Mommy & Daddy have guns at home?" line of questioning....... as posted eariler, train the young'uns to tell the Doc to ask Momma &/or Daddy that question.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    " ...the inquiry about gun ownership is but one part of a battery of questions asked typically of patients with small children..."

Seeing as this is taking place in FL, and seeing as I live there and visit the DRs often, I have yet to see any forms asking anything other than past medical family and personal history, whether I use drugs or alcohol, nor have I been asked anything about firearms by any medical person in any capacity. Maybe the bulge under my shirt deters it?

But until I need treatment for a GSW, I'll consider any such questions as NOYB.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    I don't see what the fuss is about. If you read the article, there's no singling out of firearms here - the inquiry about gun ownership is but one part of a battery of questions asked typically of patients with small children, and it's to make the parent patients aware of potential hazards to their children: unfenced swimming pools, unsecured guns, chemical cleaning products stored under sinks where kids can get them, etc. There's nothing anti-gun about asking parents about potentially dangerous situations in the house that can be a threat to their kids. If anything, I'd expect it would facilitate a greater awareness of safe gun handling/storage in these households - sounds like a positive thing to me.
    Soooooo.....does your Doctor ask you if you have chainsaws, kitchen knives, axes, screwdrivers, electrical outlets, plastic bags, string, yarn, rope, extension cords, stairs, 5 gallon buckets, coffee pots, dogs, cats......around your house??? I didn't think so! It's none of your doctor's GD Business!!! When my wife and I got married 6yrs ago, she needed a new primary doctor, since she was in a new town, etc. I setn her to mine. She came home and told me that the doctor started asking her about how many guns were in the house, etc. My wife said she politely declined to answer the questions. I told my wife, "I guess we both need to find a new primary care physician!" I later discovered that it is well documented that the AMA is anti-gun and encourages doctors to document gun owners. WHY????? I think we all know why!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    So the doctors are already gagged, in effect, and they're worrying about whether I'm going to ask a question about guns?
    Something doesn't add up here.
    I don't understand your post bigmacque???

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Doctor/patient privacy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Doctor/patient privacy.
    Got it OldVet. Thanks.

Senior Moderator
    I'm sorry that ya'll are that way with the doctors.

Me and my family doctor discuss guns for 20 minutes before we get to the other stuff. We we bought, how it performed, what we're gonna get...you know...the usual stuff.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'm sorry that ya'll are that way with the doctors.

Me and my family doctor discuss guns for 20 minutes before we get to the other stuff. We we bought, how it performed, what we're gonna get...you know...the usual stuff.
    I am lucky in having the same relationship with my doctor, in fact we both shoot at the same range.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links