Old Dominion University (Virginia) is Trying to Ban Guns

Old Dominion University (Virginia) is Trying to Ban Guns

This is a discussion on Old Dominion University (Virginia) is Trying to Ban Guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "For years, the university had a policy banning students, faculty, staff and guests from carrying firearms. But this summer, Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli opined that ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BadgerJ
  • 1 Post By rgbiker
  • 1 Post By packinnova

Thread: Old Dominion University (Virginia) is Trying to Ban Guns

Exclamation Old Dominion University (Virginia) is Trying to Ban Guns

"For years, the university had a policy banning students, faculty, staff and guests from carrying firearms. But this summer, Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli opined that such policies don't apply to uninvited guests who have a concealed carry permit.

In response, ODU has begun the process of enacting a regulation - which, unlike a policy, has the force of law - that bans any visitor from entering university facilities while armed."

The rest is here: ODU's new gun regulation | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

I've dropped them an email with my opinions in regard to this regulation, per VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League). They provided a canned email for me (below) and I added my own stuff. Feel free to use all or some of it & send your opinions along. Here are the emails VDCL provided: president@odu.edu, dmeeks@odu.edu, rfenning@odu.edu

==================

Concealed handgun permit holders should be able to protect themselves while at ODU, a campus which is in proximity to areas with a higher crime-rate. Permit holders, who must be at least 21-years-old, are among the most law-abiding citizens, believing in law-and-order to the extent that they get the training and pass a background check to get a permit. A citizen who has a drinking or a drug problem, or who has shown himself or herself to be a violent person is not qualified to get a permit.

Permit holders can already carry a handgun virtually everywhere they go, including the General Assembly, banks, restaurants, malls, state and local government buildings, festivals, and libraries. Some states, such as Utah, allow permit holders to carry in universities and have had no negative consequences. Quite the contrary, Utah universities would be a very inhospitable place for criminals to strike.

The police simply cannot be everywhere at once. Even a delay of one or two minutes for a police response could make the difference between life and death for someone. On top of that, a victim getting to a call box or making a call on their cell phone while in the middle of a violent criminal attack is usually impossible.

The University should not be forcing a permit holder to put his or her life on the line simply to get an education and it is wrong of the University to ask them to do so.

I urge the University to allow concealed handgun permit holders to carry a concealed handgun on campus for self-defense.

==============

And I added this in my reply:

In the article you sent me, it says "Public safety is a critical issue on every college campus, including ODU. University and Norfolk police are properly ramping up efforts to safeguard the campus and surroundings."

I would note that although I firmly believe police are certainly for our protection, they are not always present to protect us. It's just impossible for police to be everywhere at once. Allowing concealed carry permit holders to carry firearms in buildings would enable them to protect both themselves and all other citizens present. If you disarm all citizens on ODU, you're making them sitting ducks in the case of a crime. Criminals don't pay any attention to gun rules - they will carry guns wherever they like. My point being, not allowing concealed carry in campus buildings will be making ODU the perfect haven for crime - there will be NO resistance from the citizens on campus.

To site such an issue, Virginia Tech doesn't allow students & staff to carry firearms in the buildings. When Seung-Hui Cho began shooting up the school, nobody could stop him. There weren't enough police and everyone else was completely unarmed & defenseless, including Liviu Librescu (Liviu Librescu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It took police 6 minutes to respond to the shooting (Virginia Tech massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Had this professor been carrying a firearm, he could have stopped Cho. Instead, he held the classroom door shut while his students escaped through a window. He died a hero - Virginia Tech massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Gun free zones don't save anybody - they're a haven for criminals to wreak havoc with no resistance.

=============================

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I would find out what the penalty is that they are proposing. On the VT issue, according to what I read, if you are carrying and it is discovered, you are asked to leave and if you refuse, you may (MAY) be issued a warning/citation/student or faculty write up and penalty.

======

PS - you will NEVER convince an 'anti-' with logic. They will just cite 'factoids' like 'too many people spraying lead/collateral damage' with no cites to back it up. You can't argue the point. All you can do is force them by legislature, or enact laws which force them to obey pre-emption by/of State Law and sometimes, not even that unless you take them to court. I'm not saying letter writing is useless. It may send a Hewlett-Packard's employee's kid to college, or send a Gmail employee to Hawaii (over time), IDK

HTH
    CountryGal likes this.

I'm not 100% sure of VT's policy, but I know I can have my gun on school property and I don't think they can require me to leave. I'm not a student, so I've never done more than pass through campus so it's never been an issue.

Some of the laws are SO confusing I just try to understand the ones that pertain to me & where I can carry. :D

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Hrrm is there one single college that will let you exercise your right of preparation of one's self defense? I understand that private property is private but this is absurd.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Campus carry handgun ban is an thorny issue all legal gun owners should be against.

These Universities receive state (taxpayer) and federal (taxpayer) funding for various development programs and building expansion ....... yet they willfully (administrators) go against state gun law permitting legal conceal carry with valid LTC or CCW permit.

I would like to see the mighty NRA tackle this problem.
    CountryGal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Hrrm is there one single college that will let you exercise your right of preparation of one's self defense? I understand that private property is private but this is absurd.
    once they start taking money from the devil they're not private as far as I'm concerned. They're a government funded entity that just happens to take in private money too...
    ctr likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    once they start taking money from the devil they're not private as far as I'm concerned. They're a government funded entity that just happens to take in private money too...
    My thoughts exactly. Maybe its time to lobby against ODU funding requests to the assembly during the next budget cycle.

Only reason they are going this route , is the Courts have upheld a similar move by William & Mary, and the Commwealth Atty has said it will float.,with the cra*p that goes on around here its a knee jerk reaction to the shooting and death of the student on 42nd street, which as they say is off campus /but damn close a block away in the lovely city of NORFOLK

VIP Member

Join us in fighting this

FWIIW, The court case was at JMU.

This plague is spreading across the State like wildfire.

VCDL has had a letter writing campaign going.

Even if you don't feel that you can join VCDL, you can sign up for the VCDL Alerts at Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)

We do not rent, sell, or give away ANY email addresses on VA-ALERT

In an effort to keep all activists informed of the latest information regarding the right to keep and bear arms in the Commonwealth of Virginia, VCDL operates a free Internet mailing list called VA-ALERT.

VA-ALERT has timely information about the current Virginia General Assembly session, pending legislation, local affairs, and important federal alerts.

VA-ALERT is not a discussion list.

VA-ALERT has grown steadily since it was established. Currently, there are over 14,000 subscribers to VA-ALERT.

[IMHO, we should have a quarter million (all Virginia CHP holders) as well as interested out-of-Staters.]

Last edited by DaveH; September 30th, 2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added IMHO
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsored Links