What are your thoughts on this?

This is a discussion on What are your thoughts on this? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; David Scott Blackwell has repaid his debt to society, by Georgia standards. He served five years in prison for selling drugs. He successfully finished his ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Harryball

Thread: What are your thoughts on this?

David Scott Blackwell has repaid his debt to society, by Georgia standards.

He served five years in prison for selling drugs. He successfully finished his probation. He was even granted a full pardon by the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles, which would allow him to possess a gun in that state.

But should Blackwell, now living in Franklin, be able to own a gun here?

Blackwell is suing the state after being denied a gun permit in Tennessee, arguing that the Georgia pardon fully restored his rights even the right to bear arms.

Should pardoned felons have gun rights? | The Tennessean | tennessean.com
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    It depends on the individual. Ohio has adopted standards which will restore gun rights to certain convicted drug offenders. I believe our drug war has caused many more problems than it has ever solved, anyway, but this is not the board for that discussion.

If they restored his rights, then he should be able to own a gun. If the government doesnt want them to own firearms, do not restore there rights. Seems like common sense, but we are talking about the power that be.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I probably should have been clearer. If one state grants a convicted felon the right to carry, should they be allowed to get a permit in every state perhaps through a federal law, or should state's rights prevail with each state deciding who can and can't have a permit, as they do now? Better yet, considering your constitutional rights, should you need a permit at all?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    If they restored his rights, then he should be able to own a gun. If the government doesnt want them to own firearms, do not restore there rights. Seems like common sense, but we are talking about the power that be.
    States rights vs. Federal law. I'll opt for states rights. It will take Federal law to guarantee state to state cooperation. I vote NO no more Federal involvement than absolutely necessary. Let them do their MAIN job. Protect our borders and fight our wars.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

sgb
    I voted yes ......

A pardoned ex-convict who is allowed to own fire arms in Georgia now lives in TN and wants to have the same gun rights here. He was granted a full pardon in Georgia. Should he be allowed to own a gun in TN?

Thank you for voting!
    Yes 45.86% (216 votes)

No 45.22% (213 votes)

Undecided 8.92% (42 votes)

Total Votes: 471
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    States rights vs. Federal law. I'll opt for states rights. It will take Federal law to guarantee state to state cooperation. I vote NO no more Federal involvement than absolutely necessary. Let them do their MAIN job. Protect our borders and fight our wars.
    I agree with this. The State of Georgia restored his rights in that State only.
    If we went back to the day when a felony was a more serious crime such as murder, kidnapping and armed robberies we would not be having this problem. In my State we have made certain low level crimes felonies in a failed attempt to scare people into not doing them. In my opinion a felony should be reserved for crimes that keep people locked away for most of their life.
    If the government now feels that the crime he committed was not serious enough to deserve the full punishment of a felony crime them it should not be a felony to begin with.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I voted yes ......
    Sorry. Didn't see that poll. Must've been asleep or something.

Was he charged on a state drug charge or federal? If state, a pardon should expunge the record. A pardon grants citizenship rights. You want state's rights? If he was never convicted of a felony in YOUR state, he should have all rights to any citizen in your state.

We can't have it both ways...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    He was pardoned & his wasn't a violence-related crime...no matter what the state's Attorney General's Office says in their ignorant statement about the "well-known connection between guns and drugs".

The other guy mentioned in the story who was also denied (in 2002) was a former violent offender. His denial was proper, IMO.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I thought only the Executive could grant a pardon. Whatever, a pardon means full restoration of rights; like it never happened.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links