ATF says pot users cannot own, buy guns

This is a discussion on ATF says pot users cannot own, buy guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm still not certain how states can get away with legalizing a substance banned by the federal government. Why the SCOTUS didn't strike those laws ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: ATF says pot users cannot own, buy guns

I'm still not certain how states can get away with legalizing a substance banned by the federal government. Why the SCOTUS didn't strike those laws down long ago makes me shake my head.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Ahh the Drug War. It's really working isn't it?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    I'm still not certain how states can get away with legalizing a substance banned by the federal government. Why the SCOTUS didn't strike those laws down long ago makes me shake my head.
    Because the feds' powers are limited, despite what you or they may think.

Because there is a legitimate medical use for marijuana which is well documented and the members of SCOTUS knows it. It's purely a political motivating factor behind DEA's failure to properly reclassify marijuana, and the court simply chooses not to entangle itself with this issue at this time.
    Old School likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Good points, all. I think marijuana should be made legal like booze. Our jails and prisons are stuffed with posession of marijuana cases. Victimless crime gets hard time. Real violent criminals get reduced sentences and early parole because the jails are full of people who drive slow, order pizza, and in some cases- are just seeking real relief from chemotherapy and other disabling ailments. The drug war funds the Mexican cartels by creating the market for their product. Same for domestic illegal growers. Big operations are run by organized crime syndicates. Creating the market by prohibition. There is a precedent for this!
    I don't want the USA all whacked on cocaine and heroin, but grass is NOT PCP, meth, coke, acid, etc.
    I think George Washington was farming hemp.
    So, is it liberal or conservative to prohibit grass? I'm asking seriously.
    Skillet Hot!

Everybodys afraid of the ATF idiots...they can and will do incredible stupid dangerous things...think Waco, Texas.. think Fast n Furious...arming cross boarder drug gangs with ordinance, out gunning local LEO's...jamming federal prosecutions on legal state licenced operations (California med mrji operation with a city and state licence programs implamented, the jury never heard about)...really this agency has a deep culture of stupid to the bone...Washington gov..former attnory gen..passed on implamenting legal med marij, becasue she was afraid the feds would arrest her people...with good reason....all "true believers" in managment...look at how effective they are...whereever these muts go, travesty follows

BE my vote for the poster child agency in the next "progressive" budget cut........never happen TSTS
    (to stupid to stop)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillrFajitas View Post
    Good points, all. I think marijuana should be made legal like booze. Our jails and prisons are stuffed with posession of marijuana cases. Victimless crime gets hard time. Real violent criminals get reduced sentences and early parole because the jails are full of people who drive slow, order pizza, and in some cases- are just seeking real relief from chemotherapy and other disabling ailments. The drug war funds the Mexican cartels by creating the market for their product. Same for domestic illegal growers. Big operations are run by organized crime syndicates. Creating the market by prohibition. There is a precedent for this!
    I don't want the USA all whacked on cocaine and heroin, but grass is NOT PCP, meth, coke, acid, etc.
    I think George Washington was farming hemp.
    So, is it liberal or conservative to prohibit grass? I'm asking seriously.
    I wouldn't put a political label on this problem. We are just all too conflicted so everyone (Congress) takes the easy way out and doesn't do anything. Its easier to do nothing than to make a tough decision.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I can live with grass being legalized IF (and ONLY if) being under the influence of ANYthing is no longer a mitigating factor in prosecuting or sentencing.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

So, let's see if I have this right..... the ATF decided all by themselves, to eliminate certain people from exercising their Constitutional rights, via statutory means (that are questionable anyway that they have that authority) and not based upon any law passed by Congress. That about it ?

I somehow, don't think that's going to sell. The ATF has no authority to prevent people from exercising rights by doing something that is not considered illegal from doing something else that is protected by the Constitution. Dang, that pesky Constitution again, I know the OMan and his administration are tired of running into that document and it's 'Amendments'.

Anyway, they won't find anyone willing to "volunteer" that information to them anyway, but then the ATF does have buddies and friends in the Cartels that they've provided guns to ...... maybe they can "team up".

Cartel member: "Hey ATF DUDE .... I give you 20 names of users for 2 AK's ..... we gotta deal ?"
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Personally I do not understand how the Feds can get away with claiming that a person raising a plant in his back yard. Drying it in his attic and then smoking it in his living room is somehow interstate commerce?
    Trying to figure that out just makes my head hurt.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Anyway, they won't find anyone willing to "volunteer" that information to them anyway, but then the ATF does have (Kathleen Sebelius Dept. of HHS) to provide them the information they need from everyone's government collected medical records).
    Fixed it for ya!

I don't doubt for a minute that ATF will get access to everyone's medical records through the new Obamacare provisions.

ATF will justify hiring a thousand new agents to do nothing but comb through peoples medical records, and when they find anyone with a physician prescription for medical marijuana will happily go door to door to collect their guns, fine and imprison them. Right after they announce they are giving everyone (who has had a medical marijuana prescription written by a doctor), a 30 day amnesty period to voluntarily turn in their guns. And they'll be doing it with a smile on their face.

This is one of the ways the progressives will circumvent the constitution to disarm a large chunk of society. There are several other methods of disarming people hidden within the Obamacare healthcare act.

Does anyone honestly think that won't happen? If you do, I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

New HHS rules demand your medical records be turned over to government

A lot of people still don't understand that Obamacare had nothing to do about providing healthcare for everyone and everything to do about giving the government a conduit to control just about all aspects of everyone's life. Just about everything we do can have some health aspect tagged to it. And when they drive out all the private insurance companies and the government is finally paying for your healthcare, they will have the right to demand you behave in certain ways in the name of public health and the fact the government is paying for it.
    msgt/ret and Stubborn like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    All these comments about this law and that law should be applied. Have you forgotten what freedom and liberty is? Chances are many people even on these forums never knew. For every law that doesn't deal with direct crimes against fellow man is a loss of liberty.

If people want to smoke weed, do crack, or drink alcohol then it is their right. Who are you, in a general sense of the word, to determine one's rights and liberties? I guess you appreciate having your personal freedoms and liberties taken away because some one else have determined you are not smart enough or capable of handling your own freedom.

I hope Ron Paul is the next US CEO. And in his words he even said that Americans can't handle freedom.

Also non related - Catherine Sybillius or however the heck you spell her name just ordered all Doctors in the country to turn over your health records. Hope you dont have a past history of smoking weed or drug addiction because guess what. Your beloved government that you support and believe in as your ruler and comander will know about your nasty past habits. Guess your rights to keep and bear arms are really going to be suspiciously looked at sometime in the future.

God bless America the free........ LMAO

Freaking metric tons of running around our country. There ought to be an unlimited supply of lamb shank for the government to feed on for many decades to come.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    A lot of people still don't understand that Obamacare had nothing to do about providing healthcare for everyone and everything to do about giving the government a conduit to control just about all aspects of everyone's life. Just about everything we do can have some health aspect tagged to it. And when they drive out all the private insurance companies and the government is finally paying for your healthcare, they will have the right to demand you behave in certain ways in the name of public health and the fact the government is paying for it.
    One slight correction, it is not the government paying for it, it is we the taxpayers.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    One slight correction, it is not the government paying for it, it is we the taxpayers.
    Yeah, I know. But it's the government controlling the money after they confiscate it from us.

tangoseal, I'm not saying I don't agree with a lot of Ron Paul idea's, but he'll never get elected, and the only way I'd vote for him is if he somehow miraculously won the Republican nomination. He's already been branded a kook.

But he's the kind of guy who if he doesn't win the Republican nomination may try and run as an Independent or Libertarian, and that will guarantee Obama gets his second term.

I just hope he's smart enough not to do that, because his followers don't seem to be aware enough of the stakes not to vote for him if he does run as a 3rd party; and there aren't enough of them to put him in the White House.

Like it or not, we are still a two party country. There is no third party strong enough to win the election and there's too much riding on this election to pretend otherwise.

Obama wins a second term and they will be coming for our guns. Count on it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Administrator
    Liberals, drunks and dopers... I couldn't care less what the government or any other entity does to them.
    guardmt likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links