ATF says pot users cannot own, buy guns

This is a discussion on ATF says pot users cannot own, buy guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by rammerjammer Ahh the Drug War. It's really working isn't it? If you believe in more government and less freedom, and disposing of ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: ATF says pot users cannot own, buy guns

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Ahh the Drug War. It's really working isn't it?
    If you believe in more government and less freedom, and disposing of the constitutional protections for the people, it's working just fine.

Sent from my iPad

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Let's see: no ciminal convictions on one's record, gun manufactured and sold in one's resident state, no crossing of state borders involved; federal matter?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    IMHO Federal, state, and local laws preventing gun ownership for any/all reasons have never done much to prevent the BG or the crazies from having them. They have kept honest citizens from being able to protect them selves. Too much government, too many laws in all areas of our lives. Maybe that makes me crazy as well but I see little point to controlling the good citizens while allowing the BG's to roam free, cross our borders, and sell drugs.
    RIRdKng likes this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I see no harm in regulating people who use mind altering drugs to not have guns.

Yes, some good citizens are affected but it's my opinion that it outweighs the risks.

Think about it.

In Minnesota the alcohol level restriction is .04, which basically is the same thing as not drinking at all as far as I'm concerned. This is why I said it should be treated the same as alcohol, if you need it for medical reasons and there's a way to measure your level of high, then someone smarter than me needs to determine what that safe level is and make that the deciding factor - it may be enough to allow medically necessary use of weed, it may not.

We can't compare laws to what criminals do, they will do as they please regardless - but I'm very in favor of reducing risks of innocent people from 'good' gun owners by having some regulations on drugs.

Drugs or Guns - Pick One

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I agree with all your points but the last... Your gun rights do not need to be retained, they are inherent, natural, God given.
    Whatever you choose to call them, they are only (merely) guaranteed by the Constitution. By their nature as "rights" they are extant with or without the paper to back them up.

It is up to the people to stop governments from trying to usurp those rights by using the rights they already have by nature. That's what we did before... I hope that we do not have to do it again. At some point, it is the people who must say "I'm mad as heck, and I'm not going to take it any more."
    When you found your own country they become God given. While you live in the USA, the government restricts what you can and can not do. Don't like it, move....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    When you found your own country they become God given. While you live in the USA, the government restricts what you can and can not do. Don't like it, move....
    You might want to re-read his post. Its a little deeper than "you dont like it move"...
    kaboomkaboom likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I read it right the first time. I just get tired of "overthrow the tyrant government" sentiment. My first impulse is to tell folks that there is a door & they can get the ____ out if they don't like the rules of where they are.

Your grand total of "God given rights" are that after you are born (if you make it that far) you have a right to eventually die. Everything else is worked for or given. I like the USA because of the freedoms I DO have. I vote. I speak with my local leaders. I exercise the freedoms I have.

If you do not like the laws of the land, you do have the ability to vote, to contact your representatives in government or to run for government & try to evoke change.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I think the "real question " is , do we think it's OK for the ATF to make whatever regulations they want, and decide who can or can't own a gun ? Based upon that, I would expect that all Tea Party members will soon get their letter to turn in all of their guns too.
    Pistology, msgt/ret and TravisABQ like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Pot Smokers cant own guns

This is a stepping-stone for Government to strip away all second amendment rights. Once they realize they can disarm citizens by discriminating, they will go after all of us. If we do not stop this as a country, we are defeated as a nation. The multinationals and the corporations are all in it with the government to throw us all into a one-world government and once they disarm us, it will be much easier. The corporations are already working with the government to issue visa to workers from other countries to come in and take American jobs. As a part of this, corporations are outsourcing American jobs as we speak and replacing jobs left in this country with foreigners. That is why the government is handing out visas like hot cakes. The reason for this is that they are preparing us as a one-world government. They are going to defeat America without even firing a shot. They are bankrupting us, disarming us and defeating us. They are the Neo Cheating wealthy corporate fascists.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I think the "real question " is , do we think it's OK for the ATF to make whatever regulations they want, and decide who can or can't own a gun ? Based upon that, I would expect that all Tea Party members will soon get their letter to turn in all of their guns too.
    Conversely, should the ATF be free to ignore the law?

Like it or hate it, the fact is that with the exception of 4 people in the nation, possession and use of marijuana is a violation of federal law. The ATF has simply stated that those in violation of federal law cannot possess firearms.
    357and40 and mcp1810 like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I see no harm in regulating people who use mind altering drugs to not have guns.

Yes, some good citizens are affected but it's my opinion that it outweighs the risks.

Think about it.
    You scare the hell out of me. I sure hope you're not a lawmaker...

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    You scare the hell out of me. I sure hope you're not a lawmaker...

Not a lawmaker, just a liberal who happens to be a gun owner. (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

ONLY MY OPINION, Thunder71, so don't go ragging on me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    The very government you want to punish drunks and dopers was founded by drunks and dopers. How ironic.
    Yea but they weren't lighting up on street corners and bashing other peoples heads in for hemp where they?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I think you are missing the point. Nobody is suggesting that people should be allowed to consume drugs or be under the influence while armed. However to flat out ban someone with a perscription for a medication from even owning a gun is overbearing IMO. That is like saying that anyone who has ever taken taken a drink of alcohol should never again be allowed to carry.

IMO, it is quite simple. Under the influence while armed = under arrest... no matter what the substance.

Think about it.

In Minnesota the alcohol level restriction is .04, which basically is the same thing as not drinking at all as far as I'm concerned. This is why I said it should be treated the same as alcohol, if you need it for medical reasons and there's a way to measure your level of high, then someone smarter than me needs to determine what that safe level is and make that the deciding factor - it may be enough to allow medically necessary use of weed, it may not.

We can't compare laws to what criminals do, they will do as they please regardless - but I'm very in favor of reducing risks of innocent people from 'good' gun owners by having some regulations on drugs.

Drugs or Guns - Pick One
    msgt/ret likes this.

The BATFE did not make the law that declares pot to be an illegal substance, the US congress made that law. The BATFE is simply enforcing the law passed by congress and signed by POTUS.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links