ATF says pot users cannot own, buy guns

This is a discussion on ATF says pot users cannot own, buy guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This ought to set off an interesting discussion. ATF letter to FFLs makes it clear: No guns for pot users As if it didn’t have ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: ATF says pot users cannot own, buy guns

This ought to set off an interesting discussion.

ATF letter to FFLs makes it clear: No guns for pot users

As if it didn’t have enough trouble, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has opened a new can of worms with a Sept. 21 letter to Federal Firearms Licensees explaining that medical marijuana users are prohibited from buying or even possessing firearms or ammunition.

ATF letter to FFLs makes it clear: No guns for pot users - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Same rules should apply to this that applies to alcohol in my opinion, I somewhat agree with this because I don't believe chemically altered minds and firearms mix very well.

Administrator
    "ATF says pot users cannot own, buy guns"

The ATF has reserved that right for Mexican drug runners.
    Tzadik, RETSUPT99, tcon67 and 6 others like this.

If they legalize it, it should be handled just like alcohol and other prescription drugs... under the influence? crime to have on eon your person or be handling one.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Unless I'm mistaken, there has been a question about marijuana use on the form 4473 for as long as I can remember,
    and I'm getting pretty old.
    It's in that list of questions that if you answer "yes" you don't get the gun.
    shooterX likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Given current Federal law I think ATF has no choice on this.

My own views are far more "libertarian" on gun issues and on drug issues, but the law is what it is.

In short, I think it is past time to let people stick whatever dang garbage they want into their bodies, shoot
    peanut butter into their veins if that's what they want, so long as they don't misbehave while under the influence.

Guns and mind altering drugs don't mix, but one need not preclude the other if handled in a responsible way. That is, don't go near the gun when you are drunk, high, buzzed, excited, incoherent.

Thunder71 said it all in post 2: " Same rules should apply to this that applies to alcohol in my opinion,"
    mcp1810 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Given current Federal law I think ATF has no choice on this.

My own views are far more "libertarian" on gun issues and on drug issues, but the law is what it is.

In short, I think it is past time to let people stick whatever dang garbage they want into their bodies, shoot
    peanut butter into their veins if that's what they want, so long as they don't misbehave while under the influence.

Guns and mind altering drugs don't mix, but one need not preclude the other if handled in a responsible way. That is, don't go near the gun when you are drunk, high, buzzed, excited, incoherent.

Thunder71 said it all in post 2: " Same rules should apply to this that applies to alcohol in my opinion,"
    I agree across the board...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    This ought to set off an interesting discussion.

ATF letter to FFLs makes it clear: No guns for pot users

As if it didn’t have enough trouble, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has opened a new can of worms with a Sept. 21 letter to Federal Firearms Licensees explaining that medical marijuana users are prohibited from buying or even possessing firearms or ammunition.

ATF letter to FFLs makes it clear: No guns for pot users - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com
    Regardless of state laws, Federal law prohibits the possession and use of marijuana. So, the ATF has to comply.
    357and40 likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    We have laws to deal with crime, but too many defendants have successfully reduced their punishment by claiming to be "under the influence" and "I didn't know what I was doing."

Rather than holding them fully accountable anyway, the logical solution is clearly to continue being lenient and simply increase gov power over people's choices. Yeah, that makes all kinds of sense. But politicians put it out there and people keep eating it up.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    ATF should not strip Bona Fide, medical marijuana card-holding citizens of their 2A rights without due process. Those ATF bureacrats don't weigh the downside of their decisions. Prohibit America's Tyranical Feds.
    Good work, Mr. Workman.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    ATF should not strip Bona Fide, medical marijuana card-holding citizens of their 2A rights without due process. Those ATF bureacrats don't weigh the downside of their decisions. Prohibit America's Tyranical Feds.
    Good work, Mr. Workman.
    The ATF has no choice. Federal law does not recognize medical marijuana.

Is it right? I'd say no. But it is the law, and until the law is changed, the ATF has no right to ignore it.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

It all stems from the fact that the DEA refuses to remove marijuana from the Schedule I classification (C-I) which means no legitimate medicinal use (same as heroin & LSD).

Schedule I,
    a category of drugs not considered legitimate for medical use. Among the substances so classified by the Drug Enforcement Administration are mescaline, lysergic acid diethylamide, heroin, and marijuana. Special licensing procedures must be followed to use these or other Schedule I substances.
    Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier.

Schedule I,
    A category of drugs not considered legitimate for medical use. Included are heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), and marijuana.

Schedule II,
    A category of drugs considered to have a strong potential for abuse or addiction but that also have legitimate medical use. Included are opium, morphine, and cocaine.

Schedule III,
    A category of drugs that have less potential for abuse or addiction than Schedule I or II drugs and have a useful medical purpose. Included are short-acting barbiturates and amphetamines.

Schedule IV
    A medically useful category of drugs that have less potential for abuse or addiction than those of Schedules I, II, and III. Included are diazepam (valium) and chloral hydrate.

Schedule V,
    A medically useful catiegory of drugs that have less potential for abuse or addiction than those of Schedules I through IV. Included are antidiarrheals and antitussives with opioid derivatives.

Free Medical Dictionary

For years they have been trying to get it put into at least the Schedule II category, if not Schedule III, because there is clearly a legitimate medicinal use as an anti-nausea drug (anti-emetic), as well as analgesic qualities which has been well documented in the medical literature for decades. There is no legitimate reason it should still hold Schedule I classification.

DEA refuses to reclassify it solely for political reasons as well as big tobacco lobbyists.

Regardless of what individual states choose to legalize as long as the DEA refuses to reclassify it, the Federal law will trump state laws.

BATF & DEA are two agencies among many, which wield great political power. Among them we can add Dept. of Labor, EPA, Dept. of Education & Dept. of Commerce.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Considering some of the recent escapades of the ATF one has to wonder what they were smoking themselves.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The ATF has no choice. Federal law does not recognize medical marijuana.

Is it right? I'd say no. But it is the law, and until the law is changed, the ATF has no right to ignore it.

Matt
    You're right, of course. And you seem to know that this Marijuana-as-a-Schedule-I drug law is born of politics. This may change some day.
    As it is, if one gets a prescription for medical marijuana, he has a legal obligation to call the police to pick up his firearms and to take them away. So what happens if the law changes? Does he get them back?
    Drug War is Alice in Wonderland - especially the way the ATF fights it. I hope that their mommas are proud of them.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Ahh the Drug War. It's really working isn't it?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links