NBC Takes "Aim" at the right of Self Defense

This is a discussion on NBC Takes "Aim" at the right of Self Defense within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NBC Takes Aim at Right to Defend Yourself Newsbusters.org ^ | 8 AUGUST 2006 | Geoffrey Dickens Posted on 08/09/2006 7:45:07 AM EDT by radar101 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBC Takes "Aim" at the right of Self Defense

Exclamation NBC Takes "Aim" at the right of Self Defense

NBC Takes Aim at Right to Defend Yourself
    Newsbusters.org ^ | 8 AUGUST 2006 | Geoffrey Dickens

Posted on 08/09/2006 7:45:07 AM EDT by radar101

As more and more states recognize the basic right to defend yourself NBCís Today, not surprisingly, took a dim view. On this morningís Today, Ron Mott in a segment headlined by the graphic: "License To Kill, Self-Defense Gone Too Far," Mott slanted his story with alarmist rhetoric and unbalanced talking heads.

Matt Lauer introduced the story: "Now a debate. How far can you go in the name of self-defense? In a growing number of states people have much more leeway to use deadly force. Supporters say that's a good thing but critics argue it's a case of shoot first and ask questions later. We have more on this now from NBC's Ron Mott."

Mott then began the segment portraying the right-to-self-defense laws as a path to anarchy: "Has the 'Wild, Wild West,' gone South?" Mott went on to air three talking heads opposed to the laws including two supposed "victims" of the self-defense to just one talking head from the NRA. Mott couldíve interviewed any number of ordinary men and women that have protected themselves and/or property against criminals but didnít, thereby humanizing the anti-self-defense law side. Mott then continued to scaremonger: "Many opponents fear the laws could actually encourage some people to settle minor disputes with deadly force, allowing claims of self-defense to over power what some critics say could be criminal intent."

The following is the full transcript of the segment:

Matt Lauer: "Now a debate. How far can you go in the name of self-defense? In a growing number of states people have much more leeway to use deadly force. Supporters say that's a good thing but critics argue it's a case of shoot first and ask questions later. We have more on this now from NBC's Ron Mott."

Ron Mott: "Has the wild, wild west gone south? Rather than run away this Florida prostitute shot and killed a 72-year-old customer with his gun when he got up to answer the phone. Self-defense, no charges. In West Palm Beach."

[Woman: "I never dreamed it was gonna be my son."]

Mott: "This woman's son was killed by a cab driver."

[Woman: "'If you don't get out of my cab I'm gonna kill you.'"]

Mott: "The cabbie says he killed Jimmy Morningstar in self-defense but he still faces murder charges. That's because the shooting happened before the passage of a new state law saying force can be met with force whether at home or in public."

[Chris Cox, National Rifle Association: "You can either run or if you think the best way to survive the attack is to defend yourself you have that option."]

Mott: "14 states, nearly half in the traditional South, followed Florida's lead last October expanding self-defense laws, most offering immunity from prosecution. Many opponents fear the laws could actually encourage some people to settle minor disputes with deadly force, allowing claims of self-defense to over power what some critics say could be criminal intent. Like this case in Kentucky where a man was beaten to death with a lamp. He'd been invited in thinking he was collecting a drug debt."

[Cara Newberg, victim's sister: "Is basically saying anybody can come in your home and if you feel like killing them, if you have a grudge against them or anything you can do this and get a way with it."]

Mott: "The prosecutor settled for a plea bargain to a lesser charge, fearing a jury acquittal."

[Bob McCulloch, proscutor: "You have an absolute right to defend yourself and your property and others from aggression using whatever force is necessary up to and including deadly force but there has to be a review of those circumstances to make sure that, that is appropriate."]

Mott: "Self-defense under review and in the line of fire. For Today, Ron Mott, NBC News, Fayetteville, Georgia."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Mott ..............
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Nothing NBC (or any of the other networks) does surprises me anymore.

VIP Member
    Where's the balanced, unbias report? Oh, yeah, I forgot, they've given up on even trying to portray a semblance of balance. Danged liberals.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Don't you know if you just give them what they want that they will leave you alone? They just do it because they can't get a job, and you have so much. We really need to think of it as another wellfare program for the poor.

Dakotaranger's question to this fertilizer: "So what if theywant to take your innocence or your life, like what Tookie Williams did numerous time? What about those punk kids in Florida that beat to death homeless people? We have had mountain lion attacks in this country I'm told old to fight off with a knife, let alone my bare hands.

You complained for months about the government's response to Katrina, and you trust the government for your safety? You do realize that it can take thirty seconds for a person to bleed out and in this State it can take upwards of thirty minutes for a deputy to respond in most counties, and we are supposed to just hand over our wallet hoping in the "goodness" of some thug. Here's your sign

*Crickettes chirping*
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Moderator
    It doesnt really matter what NBC thinks much about anything.

Fact of the matter is, the internet is slowly rendering the traditional new media obsolete..and they know it. The arent going to change anyones minds with their rhetoric, and they know that too, so they are using "shock" tactics to get someone,anyone to listen.

They are slowly dieing and they are grasping at straws and there's not a dang thing that they can do about it.

Personally, I welcome their demise. I quit listening to the brainwashing lies years ago. There are too many other sources out there to refer to without all of the emotional one sided propaganda.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Not much of a tv person to begin with, once in awhile the History Channel, Discovery Wings or Fox News, at least Fox seems somewhat fair and balanced as compared to the Iranian and North Korean Missle Huggers on the other channels.
    TV might be on for a total of 3 hours per month here, ok except to watch the Philadelphia Eagles, then it's on.

Fox is full of BS too. They all are.

"Has the 'Wild, Wild West,' gone South?"
    He ovously doesnít know what hes talking about. Has Mott ever been outside his little bubble in the Northeast?

I donít watch televised news either. I get news from the Net, or Radio. I try to research as much as I can, but thereís too much news and BS out there.

At least the media has pure intentions. Pure BS that is.

VIP Member
    The media clearly has it’s own agenda… I wonder if they all share the same one? If they do, I wonder what it is? Money? Brainwashing the masses? World order? Hummm…
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

for the news it has changed from telling people what is really going on to trying to compete for ratings and they will stop at nothing to give people something to shock or peak their interest. Im telling you right now if they just told you what crimes were committed each day by the numbers.......there would be more people trying to buy guns not control them. problem is they do this PARTIALLY and skew (sp?) those numbers to get people to see what they want them to see...guns are bad honestly what you read on the internet news is not really any better. written by the same people mostly. 99.9% of the news is trash and meant to try to control the

It always puzzled me how journalists take their oath to be unbias and report the news as accurate and error free as possible and then turn around and BLAITENTLY disregard it.

It happens on both sides, ABC & NBC are clearly more liberal and FOX gravitates openly to the right. Agreeing with either side is just as bad!NEWS SHOULD BE NEWS, NOT "Tonight on IMHO we'll be reporting from......"

VIP Member

[Cara Newberg, victim's sister: "Is basically saying anybody can come in your home and if you feel like killing them, if you have a grudge against them or anything you can do this and get a way with it."]
    I wonder if Ms. Newberg would feel the same way after "anybody" gains access to her house while she is there.....and not just for some tea n' crumpets or idle chit-chat.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    NBC Takes Aim at Right to Defend Yourself
    Well for myself i am still waiting for somone to show me where they have dropped this aimpoint since the 70s so that they need to take aim now lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links