Teacher pleads guilty to concealing gun on school property

This is a discussion on Teacher pleads guilty to concealing gun on school property within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There's no doubt this teacher was a "trouble maker", but based on what I know of his case and the physical layout of the school/campus, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Teacher pleads guilty to concealing gun on school property

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

There's no doubt this teacher was a "trouble maker", but based on what I know of his case and the physical layout of the school/campus, this appears (to me) to be a bogus charge. However, if he went to trial, he would probably be accused/convicted of threatening his boss, among others. BTW, this school/campus is located in a very affluent suburb.

Plymouth High teacher pleads guilty to concealed weapon charge, will resign

Yeah,only "THUG's" are allowed to bring gun's to school,when will these people learn?

A man's car is his private property. I despise those "Parking lot" rules.

I'm curious as to why the police stopped him in the first place and why they searched the car? Maybe this part of the story has something to do with it.

Witnesses testified at an earlier hearing that Schepansky had made threats to kill Plymouth Associate Principal Erin MacGregor, and the administrator had ordered the military history teacher to take the day off the day before the incident.

From The Detroit News: Wayne County | Plymouth High teacher pleads guilty to concealed weapon charge, will resign | The Detroit News

If that's the case and somebody spotted him coming back to the school after being suspended and making a threat to shoot someone, then he probably got off lucky.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

He made his own bed...luckily it's not a prison bed.
    He has lost his job and probably his teaching certificate.

Too bad he wasn't a pro football player, he'd be right back at a multi-million dollar job.
    Bark'n and rammerjammer like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    Agreed

I hate parking lot rules too,but responsibles gun owners don't threten to kill people over a beef,Told to take the day off and cool off,but possibly headed to school with a firearm,He may have been stopped before he got his revenge,downside is if he blames the Principal for his being fired,he may end up going after him anyways
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I'm curious as to why the police stopped him in the first place and why they searched the car? Maybe this part of the story has something to do with it.

Witnesses testified at an earlier hearing that Schepansky had made threats to kill Plymouth Associate Principal Erin MacGregor, and the administrator had ordered the military history teacher to take the day off the day before the incident.

From The Detroit News: Wayne County | Plymouth High teacher pleads guilty to concealed weapon charge, will resign | The Detroit News

If that's the case and somebody spotted him coming back to the school after being suspended and making a threat to shoot someone, then he probably got off lucky.
    Yep, I suspect that has everything to do with why he got stopped and searched in the first place.

A lot of those who run schools are absolute zealots when it comes to guns. That's why they suspend or expel 8 year old kids who merely doodle the picture of a gun on their notebook. Their insane rational is that it's zero tolerance and a picture of a gun is the same thing as a real gun.

For people in charge of "higher learning" they sure are a mentally deficient bunch of stooges, are they not?

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad... I'm speaking of the dotes who come up with these policies regarding zero tolerance and what they define as a weapon.

I know we have excellent educators, faculty and even Superintendents as members here. And I know they do an excellent job, under trying circumstances, often times in the middle of a combat zone.

But the teacher in question in this article obviously wasn't using his brain to full capacity.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Yep, I suspect that has everything to do with why he got stopped and searched in the first place.

A lot of those who run schools are absolute zealots when it comes to guns. That's why they suspend or expel 8 year old kids who merely doodle the picture of a gun on their notebook. Their insane rational is that it's zero tolerance and a picture of a gun is the same thing as a real gun.

For people in charge of "higher learning" they sure are a mentally deficient bunch of stooges, are they not?

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad... I'm speaking of the dotes who come up with these policies regarding zero tolerance and what they define as a weapon.

I know we have excellent educators, faculty and even Superintendents as members here. And I know they do an excellent job, under trying circumstances, often times in the middle of a combat zone.

But the teacher in question in this article obviously wasn't using his brain to full capacity.
    While I agree with your assessment that many in education are zealots when it comes to guns, I'm sure you are familiar with the shooting by a disgruntled educator during a staff meeting at the University of Alabama, Huntsville and another shooting of a principal and assistant principal in Tennessee by a teacher who had learned that his services would no longer be needed the following school year. Threats that used to be dismissed as "old Charlie just blowing off some steam" are now taken quite seriously.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Threatening to waste an employer takes it straight to probable cause, particularly if the individual is known to carry firearms. No doubt the police were waiting on him to roll onto school property, rightfully so from where I am looking at it.

Strongly agree.
    Strongly agree.

Is there any hope that they will figure out that gun free zones = an easier target?

VIP Member
    Can someone enlighten me as to what exactly he did, in violation to the law?

When according to this, he broke no law:

From article:

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy originally charged Schepansky with violating state law that bans weapons from a school zone, defined as a building used for instruction or a playing field. In dismissing the charge at the district court level, Gerou reasoned that Schepansky wasn't close enough to the school to have violated the law meant to keep weapons away from schools.

Was it because he was NOT a CPL holder???

From article:

Judge Michael Gerou before Schepansky was bound over for trial on the concealed weapon charge

????????????/

Was he smart?, probably not, did he do something wrong?

According to the article he wasn't on the property.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

While I agree with your assessment that many in education are zealots when it comes to guns, I'm sure you are familiar with the shooting by a disgruntled educator during a staff meeting at the University of Alabama, Huntsville and another shooting of a principal and assistant principal in Tennessee by a teacher who had learned that his services would no longer be needed the following school year. Threats that used to be dismissed as "old Charlie just blowing off some steam" are now taken quite seriously.

Oh yeah, I agree wholeheartedly. And I realize that idle threats these days can not be taken lightly. Especially when they come from a fellow staff member instead of a student. No doubt, his threat was probably one of the reasons they stopped and searched him. I've got no problem with that. This teacher clearly brought all his problems on himself. I was in no way defending his actions or criticizing his legal troubles.

What I have a problem with is the ridiculousness of some of the zero tolerance policies towards the students in what they define as a threatening object.

If I were still in the military with small kids who have grown up with guns all their lives and had one child who was gifted as an artist and 4.0 honor student and he got expelled because during a class he was sketching a gun or weapon he had been interested in and the school said he had an emotional psychiatric disorder, suspended him, jeopardizing his chance of being accepted at West Point, I'd be more than a little pissed. And the school would be getting out their friggon checkbook and writing a big check for being idiots.

And you know how ridiculous a lot of these zero tolerance programs are because the schools are constantly making mea culpa's and settling out of court with parents.

I'd much rather have the school leave my kid alone over his artwork and key chains with miniature Glock on it and spend more time keeping their pedophile teachers from having sex with my child.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

You left out the law makers that are putting in place gun free school zones and gun free property used by schools or for school purposes or that a school is on or that a building that offers k-12 school classes...a gun locked in my car is a felony in my state thanks to the law makers, school policy regarding guns is merely students must follow all local state and federal laws at the local college but because of GED classes they're legally a high school and it's then a class D Felony. Not to mention all the school sports where parents are at risk because they can't leave the gun in the car (which I think is taking too far in the first place making them disarm but that's another thread) so they've got to make special trips home to disarm from the day then a trip back home before heading out to the team ice cream or dinner after a game.

He did dig his own grave making the threats though.

And yet when an armed retired cop was present in a school board meeting in FL and the only dead guy was the bad guy; the world forgot about it a week later. They claim to take the threats seriously yet nobody wants to take personal defense seriously.

Glock Certified Armorer

VIP Member
    Backing this guy's play isn't going to get the pro-carry forces much traction with school boards, the public and legislators.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links