Ohio Department of Liquor Control To Issue Bogus Signage

This is a discussion on Ohio Department of Liquor Control To Issue Bogus Signage within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Even though CHL bar/restaurant carry in Ohio is now legal, the Department of Liquor Control intends to continue issuing the now-bogus signs to new liquor ...

Thread: Ohio Department of Liquor Control To Issue Bogus Signage

VIP Member

Ohio Department of Liquor Control To Issue Bogus Signage

Even though CHL bar/restaurant carry in Ohio is now legal, the Department of Liquor Control intends to continue issuing the now-bogus signs to new liquor permit holders. Confused yet?
    Ohio : Liquor Control : Warning Signs

"WARNING SIGNS
    Firearms
    Substitute Senate Bill 17 ("S.B. 17"), effective September 30, 2011, amends Ohio’s "Concealed Carry Law.” Amongst other changes, the amendment allows Concealed Carry licensees to carry their firearm into a liquor permit premises.

The Division has received numerous calls from permit holders wanting to know if the Division will be providing new firearms warning signs. Permit holders need to be aware that the Division's requirement for providing warning signs regarding carrying firearms has not changed.

The Division is required to provide Firearms Warning Signs to holders of a Class D liquor permit as set forth in Ohio Revised Code Section 4301.637(B). S.B. 17 does not require the Division to provide new or additional signs, or provide the signs to anyone else. The Division will continue to provide the Firearms Warning Sign to new Class D permit holders.

The Concealed Carry law, as originally enacted and as amended by S.B. 17, appears to allow private employers, including liquor permit businesses, to post a sign at their place of employment stating that no person can carry a concealed weapon onto that employer's premises.

Permit holders need to understand their rights and responsibilities under this amendment to the law regarding the carrying of firearms. The Division suggests that permit holders who have questions or concerns about how S.B. 17 affects their businesses consult with private legal counsel.

FIREARM Warning! [PDF]"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The PDF link did not shine through. http://www.com.ohio.gov/liqr/docs/LIQR_firearm.pdf
    This is the sign they will continue issuing.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    So, they changed the law to allow you to carry, but not the signs that tell you you're going to he... (I mean) jail if you carry there?
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    So, they changed the law to allow you to carry, but not the signs that tell you you're going to he... (I mean) jail if you carry there?
    Actually, it says you MAY be... and if you don't have a license to carry, it does still apply.

The actual sentence of the sign reads: "If you possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the revised code, you may be guilty of a felony and are subject to a term of actual incarceration of one or two years."

The ORC reads: "(A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming beer or intoxicating liquor in a premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.

(B)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(e) Any person who is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code , as long as the person is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse."

VIP Member
    Good points, Mick. I'm thinking this signage may very well have the unintended effect of leading barkeepers to believe all civilian firearms are still prohibited from their establishments. I went by several alcohol-serving establishments Friday and yesterday, and none of them had placed the CPZ signs at their entrances.

VIP Member
    Please clarify, does a Class D liquor permit pertain to a bar that serves liquor only or to any establishmemt that serves.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

These liberals always complicate things...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

retsupt99 +1 Tn law changed several years ago to allow carry permit holder to carry in places that serve alcohol (can not consume!) but instances of various ABC agents teling places they must continue to display the old prohibition signs crop up from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Good points, Mick. I'm thinking this signage may very well have the unintended effect of leading barkeepers to believe all civilian firearms are still prohibited from their establishments. I went by several alcohol-serving establishments Friday and yesterday, and none of them had placed the CPZ signs at their entrances.
    Thanks, and I agree about the signage - it will be awhile before some bartenders/managers etc. stop asking how they'll know who is armed, and discussing the need to frisk patrons upon entry.

Nonetheless, we keep making headway! Next up, notification requirement. I don't mind telling LEO I have a license to carry if they ask me and I am armed, I just don't want to get hemmed up with the "immediate" requirement to notify (sorry for the drift).

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Please clarify, does a Class D liquor permit pertain to a bar that serves liquor only or to any establishmemt that serves.
    Class D license is for dispensing on the premises, so bars, restaurants etc., but not liquor stores.

Since the sign doesn't apply to licensees, I don't see what the big deal is.

Links