DC Ban on Semi-Auto Rifles and Registration of All Handguns Upheld Against Heller

This is a discussion on DC Ban on Semi-Auto Rifles and Registration of All Handguns Upheld Against Heller within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A federal appeals court Tuesday upheld the District of Columbia's ban on semiautomatic rifles and large-capacity ammunition magazines and its handgun-registration requirement, rejecting arguments that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Old School

Thread: DC Ban on Semi-Auto Rifles and Registration of All Handguns Upheld Against Heller

Distinguished Member

DC Ban on Semi-Auto Rifles and Registration of All Handguns Upheld Against Heller

A federal appeals court Tuesday upheld the District of Columbia's ban on semiautomatic rifles and large-capacity ammunition magazines and its handgun-registration requirement, rejecting arguments that the new ordinance defies a 2008 Supreme Court decision.
    Two-to-one, the court upheld that there is room for such regulation in Heller. For the majority, Judge Douglas Ginsburg (the Reagan SCOTUS nominee who withdrew from consideration in light of prior pot use) wrote that handgun registration is analogous to voting registration and to drivers' license registration and so is acceptable. The appeals court is of the opinion that the ban and registration requirement is in compliance with Heller (the Supreme Court decision of 2008) as long as citizens are able to acquire handguns legally.

The court remanded the issues of registration requirement for rifles and shotguns and the constitutionality of mandatory firearms safety training as a requirement of gun ownership.

IMO, registration to vote is due to having to validate my right and my identification at the poll on election day. And automobile registration and drivers' license issuance is because the public administers, maintains and enforces the laws on most roads. Therefore, I can say, reasonably, that no one need check that my gun is mine at any specific time or place and that gun ownership does not call for a ready, public record.

As the dissenting judge, Brett Kavanaugh wrote, "The Supreme Court has long made clear that the Constitution disables the government from employing certain means to prevent, deter, or detect violent crime."

The Supreme Court may have to make that more clear, again, to some DA's dragged kicking and screaming to 2A.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If i lived in DC i would move not just because of firearm laws but because of the traffic and high cost of living. Just too many people in such small areas for me. Oh least i forget taxes and fees are very high...

VIP Member
    To be honest, in my opinion, anyone dumb enough to live in DC deserves what they get!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

FIRST REGISTRATION THEN CONFISCATION...........

Sorry but this is just more of the same old crap from the local government of a horrible excuse for the capitol of the United States.

OS
    Stubborn likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

A difference between a drivers license and gun registration is, I don't meet to have a license to have a car on private property. 12 year old farm kids are driving through fields all over this country. That analogy only applies to guns in public not in a private resistance.

I am against all gun registration, I'm just using their own analogy against them.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    The Supreme Court can rule but they have zero authority to enforce. As such what would we think was going to happen? Their rulings on 2A have been ignored or circumvented many times by the sheep in our midst.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Links