Campus carry unofficially approved by dean - Page 2

Campus carry unofficially approved by dean

This is a discussion on Campus carry unofficially approved by dean within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by archer51 Well unfortunately, since it is forbidden by state law, I don't see a viable option for your wife. It doesn't matter ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Campus carry unofficially approved by dean

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Well unfortunately, since it is forbidden by state law, I don't see a viable option for your wife. It doesn't matter how pro 2A the dean is, he does not over ride state law. If she carry's and gets caught she will face the full weight of the law. Fines, loss of permit, loss of right to own a gun, possible jail time, not to mention the effect it will have when she applies for a job and they find she is a convicted felon. Is it really worth the risk?
    If you look in the OP...he states it is a PRIVATE college...does that change the circumstance?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    While we're standing on soap boxes here, I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said, "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

Some might argue that a law forbidding concealed carry on campus (or church or wherever) is violating the Second Amendment and is therefore an unjust law. Our Supreme Court seems to protect Freedom of Speech everywhere (campuses, churches, etc.) but seems less willing to support our Second Amendment rights in those same places. The irony is some might argue that our Freedom of Speech can be more powerful (or dangerous) than our freedom to keep and bear arms.
    I agree with that argument. There have been more people harmed and killed by words and religion then any lawful gun owner. If any person that is required to obtain a license, is the person that wishes to exercise the latter.

However, the law is what regulates our society and being. We cannot jeopardize what we have accomplished thus far just because we don't necessarily agree with it. Civil disobedience will be more hurtful then beneficial. We are playing the game well so far IMHO.
    SigHawk likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    If you look in the OP...he states it is a PRIVATE college...does that change the circumstance?
    Makes no difference. AR law says any school, college, university.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    gunsnroses.....

Here in Virginia there is a law on the books that bans carrying in churches, but our State Attorney has stated that he would turn a blind eye to violaters.
    Actually what VA law states is:

 Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held unless you have "good and sufficient reason."
    What is good and sufficient is up to interpretation.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Actually what VA law states is:

" Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held unless you have "good and sufficient reason."

What is good and sufficient is up to interpretation.
    That sounds like the requirement one has to meet in order to get a California CWL?

Makes no difference. AR law says any school, college, university.
    you forgot to add, "Building"

arkansas law 5-73-306
    (14) Any school, college, community college, or university campus building or event, unless for the purpose of participating in an authorized firearms-related activity;
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    The Dean doesn't have the authority to override the law and I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize my CCDW, so I'd say its a "No Go". I agree with others that suggested carrying pepper spray or something like that if its legal to do so. She may also check to see if its legal to carry a knife. Always good to have options. At the very least, she might take some martial arts classes so that she might be able to fend off an attacker long enough to get away? I know this is rendered useless in the case of a shooter in a bell tower but it could prove to be helpful.

Thanks, Archer!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links