TN guns in bars bill sponsor charged with having gun while driving drunk

This is a discussion on TN guns in bars bill sponsor charged with having gun while driving drunk within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NASHVILLE The sponsor of the law that made it legal to carry a gun into bars in Tennessee is facing charges of possession of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: TN guns in bars bill sponsor charged with having gun while driving drunk

NASHVILLE The sponsor of the law that made it legal to carry a gun into bars in Tennessee is facing charges of possession of a handgun while under the influence and drunken driving.

Rep. Curry Todd, a Collierville Republican, was pulled over in Nashville late Tuesday, according to court documents. Police said he failed a roadside sobriety test and refused to take a Breathalyzer test. A loaded .38-caliber gun was found in a holster stuffed between the driver's seat and center console.

A police affidavit said Todd was unsteady on his feet, "almost falling down at times." Officers concluded that Todd was "obviously very impaired and not in any condition to be carrying a loaded handgun."

TN guns in bars bill sponsor charged with having gun while driving drunk Knoxville News Sentinel
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Sometimes you wonder which side these clowns are actually on.
    shooterX likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    I've come to believe that there must be some sort of character flaw that most individuals who aspire to be politicians have. I'm trying to think of any politician that I've ever known or worked with (and there have been more than a few) that wasn't deficient in moral fiber.
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Isn't this called poetic justice?

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Isn't this called poetic justice?
    Yeah. It would be hilarious if the anti-gunners weren't having such a field day with it. Just read a few of the comments after the story. This guy was also a former police officer. You would think a grown man would have more sense.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Yeah. It would be hilarious if the anti-gunners weren't having such a field day with it. Just read a few of the comments after the story. This guy was also a former police officer. You would think a grown man would have more sense.
    Unfortunately age and maturity aren't always interconnected.

Just another idiot politician...makes no difference if he was a Dem or Pub...pretty stupid!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Officers concluded that Todd was "obviously very impaired and not in any condition to be carrying a loaded handgun."
    I think I would be more concerned about his operating a vehicle. Much greater odds that he will kill someone with that than his gun.
    Civil_Response likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I think I would be more concerned about his operating a vehicle. Much greater odds that he will kill someone with that than his gun.
    Actually, if he had not been the sponsor of the bill, this would have just been another lawmaker arrested for DUI story. There's no indication that he had the gun with him while he was drinking. It was just in the vehicle that he was driving at the time. Also, even though he had a carry permit issued by the state, as a former law enforcement officer he was not required by law to have one.

However since he did sponsor the legislation allowing permit holders to carry where alcohol is served, the media and the anti-gunners are having a feeding frenzy.

VIP Member
    Only thing I'll comment on is the driving drunk, which is as we all agree a VERY STUPID thing to do.

As to the gun, there is nothing in the article that says he was drinking in a bar/restaurant, or that he was carrying while drinking. Yes, he did have a gun in the car, but that in itself means nothing. Of course we all know facts mean nothing to the press or the anti's.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Similar thing happened in Ohio this week, a nut job in a bar was drunk and went to his car and retrieved his pistol and threatened someone. The headline of course is "test Case for Guns in Bars". Media frenzy is right. Another chance to paint all of us as a bunch of gun totin' rubes.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

It sounds like Mr. Todd had disarmed himself before drinking. The gun was found in the vehicle, and not on his person. An important distinction when dealing with situations like this.

For as inebriated as he was, I doubt he removed after getting smashed. Not many drunks even think about what they are doing after getting hammered. Many of them take precautions beforehand to limit the damage they do. Well, outside of driving drunk anyways.

Either way, Mr. Todd should have had more sense to have designated driver of some sort. Driving to a bar, and drinking like that, with no way to get home lined up is just stupid. Anyone who does that needs the book thrown at them.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Not justifying the DUI, but the handgun part would have been legal in FL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

What would be the purpose of a handgun in a bar anyway?, To get drunk,shoot someone because your alchohol mouth overloaded your impaired body!Exactley whats needed a bunch of drunks with guns not willing to take a butt-wooping,wait a minute,sounds like family reunions I stopped attending.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    What would be the purpose of a handgun in a bar anyway?, To get drunk,shoot someone because your alchohol mouth overloaded your impaired body!Exactley whats needed a bunch of drunks with guns not willing to take a butt-wooping,wait a minute,sounds like family reunions I stopped attending.
    Be careful - that sounds like an anti-argument. I actually don't drink to get drunk, and would very much like to be able to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol. However, I presently have to disarm between my vehicle and just about any nice establishment due to the exaggerated thinking that you just articulated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links