H.R. 822, the Trojan Horse gun bill, has reached the House floor. - Page 4

H.R. 822, the Trojan Horse gun bill, has reached the House floor.

This is a discussion on H.R. 822, the Trojan Horse gun bill, has reached the House floor. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Who are we kidding!!! This thing may pass in the house but it wont even come up for a vote in the Senate. If by ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: H.R. 822, the Trojan Horse gun bill, has reached the House floor.

Who are we kidding!!! This thing may pass in the house but it wont even come up for a vote in the Senate. If by some miracle it get by the Senate, the one that calls himself the president wont sign it. The republicans don't have the votes to overide the veto. The end to H.R. 822. This could be good foder for presidential year elections, but honestly we may have 70-80 million gun owners in this country, but they all don't vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    HR 2900 introduced by Paul Broun of Georgia, has all of the good from 822 with none of the bad...I would be happy to support that bill. (link below)
    Common sense alternative to H.R. 822 (carry reciprocity)
    I agree the HR2900 is better and I have received an email from GOA supporting the HR 822.

See link Rep. Paul Broun Introduces Concealed Carry Recognition Bill - Gun Owners Of America
    jem102 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bolocanolo View Post
    Who are we kidding!!! This thing may pass in the house but it wont even come up for a vote in the Senate. If by some miracle it get by the Senate, the one that calls himself the president wont sign it. The republicans don't have the votes to overide the veto. The end to H.R. 822. This could be good foder for presidential year elections, but honestly we may have 70-80 million gun owners in this country, but they all don't vote.
    Let's just say you are right and it doesn't get past The Senate, or it gets to the Prez and he decides not to sign it; what has been lost in the trying? Nothing.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

We need to stop trying and doing more. We really don't have politicians that care enough for the country. It's a zero sums game. Every four or eight years we elect a president and his party is in charge of the money for the next four years. It's a game both parties play, because they enjoy the power that the money in Washington brings to them. The country doesn't have good leaders, and everyday a new compromise is reached and the problems persist. I felt that the elections in 2010 was a good start, but how quickly they forget, once they get to DC and ease themselves into those chairs. I guess if H.R. 822 goes down in flames, we've lost nothing and gain nothing. As the saying goes....things remain the same.

The guys complaining about this bill are the same ones who would complain about a sorority taking over a house across the street from their home, and having the girls knocking on your door to ask you if you were available to assist them in putting lotion on as they engaged in nude sunbathing.
    noway2 and Hopyard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    The guys complaining about this bill are the same ones who would complain about a sorority taking over a house across the street from their home, and having the girls knocking on your door to ask you if you were available to assist them in putting lotion on as they engaged in nude sunbathing.
    In your eyes..... but you also live in such a restrictive state, anything would be good for you... those of us who vote and pay taxes in free states, don't want our laws messed with because a bunch of yankee states can't seem to vote in individuals who actually give two cares abut the USCON

as I sit here contemplating... you know what else this will do? Make states stop giving non resident permits when the mad rush of out of staters in may issue states try to get them..... which means all you people living in may issue states who think you are going to get a shall issue non resident permit are going to be on the short end of the stick.... so then residents of free states will be able to come to your may issue states ( most of new england, DE, MD, CA, HI.. etc) and carry while you still can't get a permit.... how is that for irony if that happens? too many loopholes in this bill... I hope it fails

As to H.R.822, I have written my legislators and urged them, in the strongest terms, NOT to vote for this ill conceived bill. They are NOT using the 2nd to push this! If so, what constitutional argument is there for limiting its application to concealed handguns? What about rifles, shotguns and open carry?!? Or are they not part of the 2nd??? If so, and congress is acting under the 14th to remove any infringements, why carve out the states in which the highest level of infringements against the 2nd exists (926D (a)? By all means READ the bill and then look at the courts decisions in the modern era when it used the 10th's "commerce Clause"...

Folks this is a federalists dream come true. Are small "perceived" victories so dear and great that we should abdicate the separations of sovereign powers that the states built into the constitution??? I do not believe we should further erode the 10th Amendment to achieve a perceived good that will rise against us down the road and urge you to stand against H.R. 822 in the strongest terms, ways and means possible.

"The Broun bill (H.R.2900) does not rely on an expansive, erroneous interpretation of the Commerce Clause. Passing gun legislation that uses the Commerce Clause for authority could undercut efforts at promoting Firearms Freedom Act legislation throughout the country which specifically declares the Commerce Clause has no authority over the production of intrastate guns."

The above is the way to go and does not erode the 10th further.

There are quite a few threads running here on the forum. Please take the time to read them and consider the means they want to use. Read the bill it's not that long and think through the gun legislation you have seen from Uncle Sam over your life time and the liberal bent with which they approach other social issues.

Use your judgement, don't jump into deep water for a small chunk of iron pyrite because as anyone who has lived a fair piece of life knows "all that glitters sure ain't gold" and inform your legislators of your (what I hope for) NO on H.R.822.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Yesterday, I too wrote my representative, who on their website claims to be pro-2A. Instead of telling them in the strongest terms NOT to support this bill, I inquired as to their opinion and stance on this bill. I said that I am a supporter of concealed carry and that the bill appears to be succinct and well written but many pro-2A people fear that this bill will be used as a platform for imposing restrictions. The way I see it, my representative who has served as the representative for my area for many years knows more about how the subtle legislative maneuvering thing works better than I do, so lets see what he says.

As far as comparing H.R. 822 and H.R. 2900, I really don't get why some here seem to think 2900 is so much better. From what I can tell they effectively mean the same thing, but 2900 says it in a circular mess of legal speak that only a drunken lawyer could understand.

Also, there are a few here, and you know who you are, it is high time for you to turn off Rush Limbaugh, Neal Boortz, and Fox and start doing your own thinking. For starters, look at the list of representatives and senators who are anti-gun. There are plenty R's after names on that list just as there are many D's on the pro-gun lists.

They're a few here also who need to turn off "the view, Oprah, Leno and Letterman" ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, NPR, MSNBC, and get your heads out of the sand.
    jem102 likes this.

My only concern with the bill is I will have to be more careful when I travel and what I have in the car. When traveling through so many jurisdiction, you never know if there is some restriction on capacity or round type. For example HP rounds. I have had in the car 10 rounds of HP .38+P in two speed loaders so long, I sometimes forget they are there. I had to turn around one time on my way to Canada, just right before the bridge. It could have been a stupid, but serious issue if I had crossed to the other side.

As for the bill, I support it, and would immediately travel to Chicago once passed, as I have in-laws my wife would like to visit, and I would not mind stopping into an ll bean store.

As for the NRA, I sometimes differ from their views, question some promotional partnerships, and even rarely questioned some tactics. As for why I support the NRA, as is often the case, my views align closely with theirs. It is good to see the NRA's support on this issue. In addition, I like seeing the NRA stick to their gun on being supporters of 2A. Not right or left, not 1A or 3A, they are pro-2A. It is refreshing to have something as pure as the NRA.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    As for the bill, I support it, and would immediately travel to Chicago once passed, as I have in-laws my wife would like to visit, and I would not mind stopping into an ll bean store.

As for the NRA, I sometimes differ from their views, question some promotional partnerships, and even rarely questioned some tactics. As for why I support the NRA, as is often the case, my views align closely with theirs. It is good to see the NRA's support on this issue. In addition, I like seeing the NRA stick to their gun on being supporters of 2A. Not right or left, not 1A or 3A, they are pro-2A. It is refreshing to have something as pure as the NRA.

My only concern with the bill is I will have to be more careful when I travel and what I have in the car. When traveling through so many jurisdiction, you never know if there is some restriction on capacity or round type. For example HP ropund. I have had in the car 10 rounds of HP .38+P in two speed loaders so long, I sometimes forget they are there. I had to turn around one time on my way to Canada, hust right before the bridge. It could have been a stupid, but serious issue if I had crossed to the other side.
    \

I don't know how many times this has been posted, but I'll post it again in really big letters....

This bill will do NOTHING for Illinois as they don't issue permits and prohibit the carrying of arms.
    ‘Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

‘(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

‘(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or

‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    \

I don't know how many times this has been posted, but I'll post it again in really big letters....]
    Thanks for large print, I missed that, as I thought Illinois had a may issue system that simply never issued.

Let me restate, I would have a way to travel through NY state or take a trip out west without having to travel through states previously I could not carry in. Plus, I think the ban on carry laws are on the ropes in Illinois.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    As I mentioned in post #54, I contacted my congressional representative about this bill. I was quite surprised yesterday when I my phone rang and the caller id simply said: "Washington DC". The call was from an aide from my representative's office saying that they had received my email and wanted to respond. I learned that my rep is a co-sponsor of this bill, so naturally they support it. He said that this bill came out of committee with one amendment and that was to perform a study to determine an accurate figure of how many CC permits have been issued by the states. He said that there is no definitive time line on this bill, but that it will go before the full house in about two to three months. We also discussed the concern that many have expressed that this legislation would be used as a stepping point to impose further restrictions. I was told that: one, this legislation was designed to address reciprocity. Two, if someone were to propose legislation to try and impose restrictions, which could happen irrespective of this bill anyway, that it would be dealt with at that time as an issue of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    In your eyes..... but you also live in such a restrictive state, anything would be good for you... those of us who vote and pay taxes in free states, don't want our laws messed with because a bunch of yankee states can't seem to vote in individuals who actually give two cares abut the USCON
    - In my experience, it's even easier to get a permit to carry pistols in CT (permit isn't specifically for CT) than ever before. When I applied for it over a decade ago, I had to have three letters of recommendation in addition to my application.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links