H.R. 822, the Trojan Horse gun bill, has reached the House floor.

This is a discussion on H.R. 822, the Trojan Horse gun bill, has reached the House floor. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys I got this email as the State Chair of a Political Party today and though I should share it here. My personal Congressional ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: H.R. 822, the Trojan Horse gun bill, has reached the House floor.

Hey guys I got this email as the State Chair of a Political Party today and though I should share it here.
    My personal Congressional rep Terry Sewell and I have face to face talked about this and she knows exactly how I feel on the subject. She also is aware that this might just prompt a 3rd party challenge to her if she openly supports this bill so--.

This is the bill that I've been warning you about.

It has serious potential to demolish some of the progress you and I have made with our gun rights and is currently waiting to be heard by the entire House of Representatives.

I can't tell you how important it is for you to take action on this.

A lot of people out there doubted me when I told them about the dangers of H.R. 822.

But the fact of the matter is, I've had hundreds of phone calls in the last week from gun owners who are pretty upset at what has already happened.

They were assured by the institutional gun lobby pushing H.R. 822 that it would never get amended.

They were assured that, if anything were added to the bill, it would be pulled.

And yet, here we are.

H.R. 822 has already had amendments added to it, changing its entire language and then opening up even bigger doors for the gun-grabbers to jump through in the future.

And to think, this was in a Republican-controlled committee -- prior to it even reaching the House floor!

You need to know that this bill is on the move and that bad things are coming with it.

The wording of H.R. 822 has already been changed to eliminate provisions for states' rights -- what's next?

REAL ID provisions added in?

Expansion of the term "terrorist" into concealed carry laws?

Checkpoints at every highway leading into each state to "verify" your permit is valid?

All of these ideas have not only been discussed but proposed in anti-gun circles as ideas for future amendments to this bill.

As you know, it has to go to the Senate -- run by anti-gun champion Harry Reid -- if it passes the House.

What I do need from you is your action -- today.

I need you to call Rep. Terri Sewell at (202) 225-2665 and tell them to oppose this bill.

Tell your Congressman that you are pro-gun and that having federal hands on your concealed carry permit is unacceptable.

And tell them as soon as possible.

There isn't much time before this bill gets a full reading.

When it does ...

... it's anyone's guess as to what ends up on it.

Don't let that happen.

Call Rep. Terri Sewell at (202) 225-2665 and make it known that true pro-gun patriots like yourself are opposed to this bill.

Don't let your Representatives be fooled into thinking this is a "pro-gun" vote.

I'm telling you, H.R. 822 will be an ugly mark in the history of gun rights if it passes.

Make sure your Congressman knows that.

For Freedom,

Dudley Brown
    Executive Director

P.S. Please call Rep. Terri Sewell at (202) 225-2665 and make clear that you want to keep the government’s hands off your permit. Tell your Congressman you oppose federal intrusion into the concealed weapons permit process.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. " ~ Samuel Adams

Can we trust any Politicians anymore?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Can we trust any Politicians anymore?
    Only the dead ones.

NRA disagrees with this

From the NRA

NRA-ILA :: The TRUTH About H.R. 822<br>The "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011"

H.R. 822 is a GOOD bill and is GOOD for gun owners.*

H.R. 822* ENHANCES Americans' right to self-defense by enabling millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states.

There is currently only one remaining state (Illinois) that has no clear legal way for individuals to carry concealed firearms for self-defense outside the home.* H.R. 822 would require states to recognize each others' lawfully issued carry permits, just as they recognize driver's licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

H.R. 822 DOES NOT:

Create a federal licensing or registration system;
    Establish a minimum federal standard for the carry permit;
    Involve the federal bureaucracy in setting standards for carry permit;
    Destroy permitless carry systems such as those in Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming.
    Again, H.R. 822 is a good bill for gun owners.* Don't listen to false claims.* Read the bill yourself and READ OUR FACT SHEET to get the facts.*

Myth: H.R. 822 would involve the federal bureaucracy in setting standards for carry permits, resulting in "need" requirements, higher fees, waiting periods, national gun owner registration, or worse.

FACT: H.R. 822 doesn't require -- or even authorize -- any such action by any federal agency.* In fact, since it would amend the Gun Control Act, it would fall under a limitation within that law that authorizes "only such rules and regulations as are necessary to carry out" the GCA's provisions.* No federal rules or regulations would be needed to implement H.R. 822, which simply overrides certain state laws.

Myth: H.R. 822 would destroy permitless carry systems such as those in Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming.

FACT: H.R. 822 would have absolutely no effect on how the permitless carry states' laws work within those states.* For residents of Arizona, Alaska and Wyoming, where permits are not required but remain available under state law, H.R. 822 would make those permits valid in all states that issue permits to their own residents.* Residents of Vermont, where no permits are issued or required, could obtain nonresident permits from other states to enjoy the benefits of H.R. 822.

Myth: If H.R. 822 moved through the legislative process, it would be subject to anti-gun amendments.

TRUTH: By this logic, neither NRA, nor any other pro-gun group, should ever promote any pro-gun reform legislation.* But inaction isn't an option for those of us who want to make positive changes for gun owners.* Instead, we know that by careful vote counting and strategic use of legislative procedure, anti-gun amendments can be avoided or defeated.
    Last edited by scott625; October 26th, 2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Add source
    Hopyard, Brass63 and Thanis like this.

VIP Member
    I'm always flabbergasted at folks who work hard against our own interests as gun owners.

Its a good bill. Scott625 nailed it.
    Thanis likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Hr 822 is the best thing that could ever happen. It does the same thing they did with the drivers license years ago. Anybody against this probably never leaves their home state or is antigun. It is a win win so drop the paranoia.
    Thanis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor man View Post
    Hr 822 is the best thing that could ever happen. It does the same thing they did with the drivers license years ago. Anybody against this probably never leaves their home state or is antigun. It is a win win so drop the paranoia.
    Not necessarily..... here is what I see happening: States like NY, CA, MA, CT etc who already have restrictive permit allowances.... dropping the concealed permit programs and doing away with permits. That way since they don't have a permit program they are not bound to honor other states permits..... watch it happen.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Not necessarily..... here is what I see happening: States like NY, CA, MA, CT etc who already have restrictive permit allowances.... dropping the concealed permit programs and doing away with permits. That way since they don't have a permit program they are not bound to honor other states permits..... watch it happen.
    And the citizens of those states can take that up with who they elect.

By the way I do not see the amendments that the OP refers to when I look at the bill's text.

Ok. Here is my concern. OP is new to forum and this is one of first ten post. With all respect how do we know we are not being used as pawns to shut down what NRA says is safe. I feel we need to be careful these days as anti 2nd amendment folks are doing everything possible to split us and confuse us. Imagine if a good number of us just started calling and shut down this bill only to find out the facts aren't so.

This whole issue has been confusing with lots of rumors around it being good and bad. I am a member of US Conceal and Carry, Buckeye Firearms, and the NRA. So far the message is clear. Support the bill. I have to trust in the places I choose to be a member. When I do not trust them then I vote with my money. I will no longer send it to them.

For now I stay with them and agree with Scott625. All I can do unless there are credible facts to say otherwise.
    shooterX likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    And the citizens of those states can take that up with who they elect.

By the way I do not see the amendments that the OP refers to when I look at the bill's text.
    so it's ok to you that a federal bill may further squash others rights? as long as it doesnt affect you right?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    so it's ok to you that a federal bill may further squash others rights? as long as it doesnt affect you right?
    In your scenario, it will actually be state legislators squashing their constituents' rights in retaliation to federal law.

VIP Member
    AZChevy - If the states you noted, or others, do as you say, and I agree some might, then I believe you will see the courts apply the 2A, which, through the 14A applies to all the states. This is a slow process, but in the end, the states will probably have to provide some provision for self defense and I think we will see this relatively soon in IL and probably CA now that they have revoked the stupid OC of empty weapons provision.

This is not a state rights issue versus federal issue. The states do not have the right to infringe on the 2A. Of course, getting them to see that could be expensive and take some time.
    Hopyard and DirkD like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I've been getting e-mails from Dudley Brown for the past several months. He spouts the same crap in every one of them. I don't even bother opening them anymore.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As a NY'er I signed the HR 822 petetion. I will take the gamble and listen to more knowledgeable orgazations that myself. I believe that this is a good bill. Time will tell.

People need to relax a little with the chicken Little the sky is falling. The sky is falling.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links