Well done, old chaps

This is a discussion on Well done, old chaps within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nice to see British homeowners are finally getting something roughly equivalent to a Castle Doctrine . Currently a home owner can use “reasonable force” to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JJVP

Thread: Well done, old chaps

Well done, old chaps

Nice to see British homeowners are finally getting something roughly equivalent to a Castle Doctrine.

Currently a home owner can use “reasonable force” to defend themselves but only if they fear they or their family are under threat. They must also demonstrate that confrontation was the only option because it was not possible for them to flee their own home first.

The proposed changes to the law will remove that duty so a home owner can confront a burglar regardless of whether they could have fled or not. And, crucially, the definition of reasonable force will be extended to include a perceived threat to property as well as individuals.

“We will ensure that if you do react instinctively to repel an intruder you will not be punished for it – as long as you used reasonable force,” said Mr Clarke.
    Our cousins across the pond have a long way to go, but this is a move in the right direction. Especially now, when they're having problems with mob violence in so many cities, it's good to see that they're starting to embrace the fundamental concept that people have a right to self-defense.

The rights we enjoy to secure ourselves and our property are always at risk. It's one reason I belong to the NRA. But I posted this not to bash the British, but to praise them for doing something good here. It's a start.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

Glad to see this, I've spoken to many Brits online, and been astonished by their lack of freedom to exercise self defense...well done, indeed!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

About time!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I bet those riots changed the conversation over there. Good for them.
    Skillet Hot!

“We will ensure that if you do react instinctively to repel an intruder you will not be punished for it – as long as you used reasonable force,” said Mr Clarke.
    Ahh, but who defines what "reasonable force" is?
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    Unfortunately "I'll kick your bloody arse!!" will be conceived as excessive force.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's an interesting topic, one that I have had with friends many times. Regular cops don't carry guns as you know, so this means crimes with guns are taken very seriously. When Brit cops arrive with guns you are in serious doo doo. Unlikely the BG is leaving without a body bag.

This means that firearms for law abiding citizens and SD in general is tightly controlled because the status quo is very different.

Conversely, I think we should have learned from the Brits with regard to security after 911. Not sure if this is true today but before the IRA cease fire, cops patrolled Heathrow in highly trained tac teams of 2: 1 with a machine gun and the other with a pistol.

Vulnerable areas of London were patrolled by unarmed Bobbies backed up by the army. I have been pulled over in London late at night in a van by a Bobby, and surrounded by the army with machine guns out of nowhere. Let go, no problems, they just wanted to search the van.

They understood they were at war. Our domestic response to our war is low paid, unarmed rent-a-cops.

Having said all that, there are places in certain cities, e.g Manchester, where you just don't go unless you are an armed gang member.

I agree the quote in the OP is nebulous and doesn't provide adequate protection (against the BG or the courts), but you have to understand the context.

It is a start.

But I suspect armed violence will have to escalate dramatically before UK SD laws even begin to level the playing field.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Ahh, but who defines what "reasonable force" is?
    Throwing a pillow = reasonable force
    Throwing a shoe = excessive force
    atctimmy likes this.

So, if the mob is on the corner, and coming your way, you CAN flee you own home before they get there... Well, I feel so much better, now.

Thank God we won the revolutionary war!
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

I was thinking that eventually they were going to have to do something different. When you see news reports on TV of entire lines of riot police running away from the mob violence, you gotta figure that image does not project a confident feeling that the police are always going to be able to protect you.

Finally a little common sense is starting to return to the UK. And not a moment too soon.

Yet, they still have a long way to go to come close to have reasonable freedom to defend yourself. I guess we can start with defense in the home and work up from there.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links