Citi Bank is Anti 2A

Citi Bank is Anti 2A

This is a discussion on Citi Bank is Anti 2A within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know if this has already been posted. If it has, it's worth reposting it again. Some people may have missed it. I for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citi Bank is Anti 2A

Citi Bank is Anti 2A

I don't know if this has already been posted. If it has, it's worth reposting it again. Some people may have missed it.

I for one will make sure none of my assets are through Citi-Bank. They need to be boycotted.

Citibank Is Anti-Second Amendment - Gun Owners Of America

and here:

Citibank on the naughty list...
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Wow. Good thing Uncle Sam is keeping them going with these stupid Citi GTCs us GI-folk have to carry around...

VIP Member
    Story sounds like bull feathers to me. Far be it from me to defend Citi, I'm tempted to dump them for a variety of reasons, but something doesn't seem right about that story.

This from the story," Citi Merchant Services decided to stop processing credit card transactions for law-abiding people trying to use their credit cards to buy firearms. " Uh that would mean that you as a customer can't use a Citi card to buy a firearm. If that were true every FFL and big box firearms store would know about it. It would be national news.

Now the truth of this story is easy to test. Go to your local gun store and buy something, and before you
    fill out the 433 ask the owner if he will take your Citi card. Do the experiment and then come back to post the complaint here or post pics of the new toy.

Citi is so large that surely there are many FFLs around the country who would post here to say that they have run into a problem, if the stuff in the initial post is true. This one should be put to bed easily, one way or the other.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

That's not the first time CitiBank has been exposed for not providing certain services to businesses that sell firearms. They are not alone either.

What's happening is that a lot of companies have normal ups and downs where a lot of companies go "red" for a period of time and then when their business cycle goes back up they repay their temporary loans. The loans are being denied.

Credit services are also sometimes denied, ie, the business credit card.

If it were actually illegal, then lawsuits would have been won against them. What they are doing is using legalities to promote their anti-2A agenda.

VIP Member
    Are they really? I don't know. I use a card that is tied to Citi and though not a firearm, I had no problem buying a holster last week. I've bought ammo many times. Targets. Cleaners. Pepper off the shelf of a gun store.

I guess I'd need to go in to a store and actually try to buy a firearm to know for sure, but I seriously doubt they'd refuse to take my money because Citi won't process.

I know we have some small-time firearms dealers on this board. Has anyone who is a regular here been told they can't let a customer purchase a firearm with a Citi card? If so, I'd like to hear it from a regular participant here, not someone who popped up out of the blue.

The only company that I have encountered that refuses to process transactions for firearms sales has been Pay Pal. But, they are mostly useless in my life anyway so it doesn't matter.

I'm commenting here because these sorts of things pop up from time to time and sometimes they are just net rumors repeated over and over again, sometimes they are the real deal. This has the feel of the former but I'm willing to be convinced.

Oh, and there is no 30.06 sign or even a ghost buster sign at the entrance to the Citi branch I use.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Are they really? I don't know. I use a card that is tied to Citi and though not a firearm, I had no problem buying a holster last week. I've bought ammo many times. Targets. Cleaners. Pepper off the shelf of a gun store.

I guess I'd need to go in to a store and actually try to buy a firearm to know for sure, but I seriously doubt they'd refuse to take my money because Citi won't process.

I know we have some small-time firearms dealers on this board. Has anyone who is a regular here been told they can't let a customer purchase a firearm with a Citi card? If so, I'd like to hear it from a regular participant here, not someone who popped up out of the blue.

The only company that I have encountered that refuses to process transactions for firearms sales has been Pay Pal. But, they are mostly useless in my life anyway so it doesn't matter.

I'm commenting here because these sorts of things pop up from time to time and sometimes they are just net rumors repeated over and over again, sometimes they are the real deal. This has the feel of the former but I'm willing to be convinced.

Oh, and there is no 30.06 sign or even a ghost buster sign at the entrance to the Citi branch I use.
    I'm with you. It sounds like internet rumor. I'd like to see this either substantiated or invalidated.

Although I believe this to be false, with this Obama nation nothing would surprise me

I bought an annual membership to an indoor gun range and a Bushmaster Patrolman's carbine with a Citi card last month.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Someone mis-read the article. CitiBank does not do anything about personal purchases. Just business ones.

The first article I read that mentioned anything about this topic was in an NRA magazine a while back. They did a write-up on how difficult it was for people to start-up gun stores because loans were hard to secure, and insurance was very hard to get.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Someone mis-read the article. CitiBank does not do anything about personal purchases. Just business ones.

The first article I read that mentioned anything about this topic was in an NRA magazine a while back. They did a write-up on how difficult it was for people to start-up gun stores because loans were hard to secure, and insurance was very hard to get.
    Responding to part I put in bold, here is the quote from the second link in post 1 of this thread: "According to the NSSF, in 2008 Citi Merchant Services decided to stop processing credit card transactions for law-abiding people trying to use their credit cards to buy firearms." That sure sounds like
    an assertion that personal purchases are blocked.

My understanding is that the issuing bank has to go by the Visa or Master Card rules. I don't think Citi has a direct choice in the matter.

The second part of your post is entirely understandable. All small businesses have been having a heck of time getting bank loans and insurance. The banks have figured out how to make money by not lending, but that is a topic for another thread and another bulletin board.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    I have no idea what Citi Banks policy on 2A is but two years ago I spent a month and a half in the hospital causing me to be late on all my bills. I called each creditor and explained the situation and each waived all late charges except Citi. Citi not only demanded the late charges but also reduced my credit limit to the amount owed. That card has been paid off, cut up and sent back to then with instructions to do whatever they want with it and to use both hands if necessary. I still receive offers for a new credit card from Citi but instead of shredding them I stuff everything back into their prepaid envelope that way they can pay to get their junk mail back.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Since I got my Citi card in early 2009, my records show I've purchased $4500 worth of guns, ammo and shooting paraphernalia from businesses that were almost all clearly identifiable as gun-related. E.g., "AmmoMan", "AmmoToGo", "Wilson Combat" in addition to small gun shops. One single charge was in the $1200 range for a nice 1911. Never had the transaction questioned or denied. I've never been accused of living a charmed life, so something makes me think this story is just another Internet fable.

If anyone on DC has personally been denied the use of a Citi-issued card for the purchase of firearms or related products, please post your specific experience. (What happened to a guy at work or your wife's cousin doesn't count.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I don't know if this has already been posted. If it has, it's worth reposting it again. Some people may have missed it.

I for one will make sure none of my assets are through Citi-Bank. They need to be boycotted.

Citibank Is Anti-Second Amendment - Gun Owners Of America

and here:

Citibank on the naughty list...
    That's disappointing. I wonder what Chase's policy is. I think I remember hearing BofA was friendly.

Want be long before they bite it anyway, they invested in Greek Bond's!

To all those in doubt, go buy the back issue of Guns and Ammo Handguns Magazine Feb/Mar 2011 issue and look on page 10 at the bottom.

I'm merely stating what the article says, almost verbatim. This did not come from the internet. It is printed in a nationally known magazine.

Also, it doesn't state that firearms dealers "Gun Stores" deny people the right to purchase firearms or anything related. It states that "Citibank" themselves disapproved the purchases. Maybe they lost so much business when this first came out, that they have since had a change of heart, or maybe they quite paying so much attention to the purchases made by their card holders, but that doesn't mean that the article or the post is a fable or rumor.

gasmitty, I guess you can consider yourself lucky. You squeaked by them.

You can either believe the article or not. But don't call it an internet rumor.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links