Appeals Court --- Seattle gun ban in parks illegal

This is a discussion on Appeals Court --- Seattle gun ban in parks illegal within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LINK : Appeals court upholds decision voiding Seattle's gun ban | KING5.com Seattle Appeals court upholds decision voiding Seattle's gun ban KING5.com Posted on October ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Appeals Court --- Seattle gun ban in parks illegal

Appeals Court --- Seattle gun ban in parks illegal

LINK : Appeals court upholds decision voiding Seattle's gun ban | KING5.com Seattle

Appeals court upholds decision voiding Seattle's gun ban KING5.com
    Posted on October 31, 2011 at 5:32 PM

A Washington appeals court on Monday upheld a King County superior judge's ruling that voided Seattle's ban on carrying guns in city parks.

In a unanimous ruling, three judges of the Washington State Court of Appeals for Division 1 ruled that Judge Catherine Shaffer was correct in her Feb. 2010 decision that the city exceeded its authority in banning firearms from parks. Only the legislature, not the city, has authority to enact such a restriction, the judges concluded.

LINK : NRA-ILA :: Court Rules that Seattle Gun Ban is Illegal
    Court Rules that Seattle Gun Ban is Illegal
    Friday, November 04, 2011

In 2008, the City of Seattle and then-Mayor Greg Nickels (D) enacted a rule that banned firearms and “dangerous weapons” from city parks, community centers and other city properties. In 2009, the city added another rule that banned guns from parks where children are “likely to be present.” further down in article :

In this week’s ruling, which affirms the trial court’s decision, the Court of Appeals panel wrote: “We hold that under the plain language of RCW 9.41.290 and RCW 9.41.300, the City’s attempt to regulate the possession of firearms at designated park areas and park facilities open to the public by adopting the Firearms Rule is preempted by state law.”

The court’s opinion further stated, “The Firearms Rule regulates the possession of firearms at designated city parks and park facilities open to the general public.13 [The case law on which the City relies] does not support the City’s position that RCW 9.41.290 does not apply because it is acting as a property owner and setting conditions on use of its property. Except as authorized by the legislature, RCW 9.41.290 precludes a municipality from regulating the possession of firearms at city-owned park facilities open to the general public.”
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Y'all Should have a govener like Rick scott-R Fla ; )
    H/D
    OldVet likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Well now you're gonna have blood stained swards of grass in Seattle's parks.. I hope you're happy now...

Sheesh, next thing you know you'll want to carry your guns on public sidewalks...

Sigh... Gun nuts, whaddaya gonna do?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Y'all Should have a govener like Rick scott-R Fla ; )
    H/D
    ^that^ and a legislature that stands on its own two feet.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nice when things work as they should, and people use common sense!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Carry on WA!

Glock Certified Armorer

I hope it sends a message to any other cities around the country that have thought about doing the same thing, now there is a legal precedent.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Last time I was in Seattle, I noticed that the sign was still up in that park by Pikes Place. Any idea who I should contact about getting it taken down?

Wrap up those 'no guns in city parks' signs and send 'em back to the city commissioners wrapped around a jar of vaseline.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I hope it sends a message to any other cities around the country that have thought about doing the same thing, now there is a legal precedent.
    It doesn't set a legal precedent for anyplace outside of Washington state. If your state does not have a preemption clause the city can set regulations that are more stringent than state law.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It doesn't set a legal precedent for anyplace outside of Washington state. If your state does not have a preemption clause the city can set regulations that are more stringent than state law.
    True, and there are places that don't. Our Legislatures here, know from experience to always put in a preemption clause.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880;
    Last time I was in Seattle, I noticed that the sign was still up in that park by Pikes Place. Any idea who I should contact about getting it taken down?
    The appeals court just released the decision last week ... so they should be removing them immediately, but even if they drag their feet, it's been determined as illegal and has no weight in terms of the law. Unless they appeal that decision and take it higher in the courts, in essence try to keep it effective until the next appeals decision is made.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Wrap up those 'no guns in city parks' signs and send 'em back to the city commissioners wrapped around a jar of vaseline.
    They don't deserve the luxury of Vaseline. Just saying.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    These signs were put up by order of former (thank God) Mayor Nickels.

AFTER he was told by the State Attorney General Rob McKenna that he couldn't do it (citing preemption).
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    2A oughta be a good pre-emption clause. But WA state definitely is serious with its "plain language". I wanted to post such good law :
    RCW 9.41.290
    State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    2A oughta be a good pre-emption clause. But WA state definitely is serious with its "plain language". I wanted to post such good law :
    RCW 9.41.290
    State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.
    So long as there is no penalty for passing such laws it will go on. The people passing them know full well that the worst that could happen to them is being told to stop it. At the very least anyone passing such a law should be held in contempt then both jailed and fined. To me it is serious enough to be classed as a felony and bar them from any future public office.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links