Please contact your U.S. Representative Immediately!

This is a discussion on Please contact your U.S. Representative Immediately! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This bill is make all states honor a gun carry permit from another state. PLEASE contact your U.S. Representative IMMEDIATELY National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act Scheduled ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Nitefire1
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Pistology
  • 2 Post By Pistology

Thread: Please contact your U.S. Representative Immediately!

Please contact your U.S. Representative Immediately!

This bill is make all states honor a gun carry permit from another state. PLEASE contact your U.S. Representative IMMEDIATELY

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act Scheduled for House Floor on Tuesday— Contact Your U.S. Representative Immediately!
    H.R. 822—the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011” is scheduled for a vote on the U.S. House floor this Tuesday, November 15. We’ve told you the truth about why the legislation is very good for gun owners and now it is imperative that you contact your U.S. Representative IMMEDIATELY and urge him or her to vote for H.R. 822 WITH NO AMENDMENTS.

Brian

NRA-ILA :: Contact Your U.S. Representative Immediately!<br>NRA-ILA GRASSROOTS ALERT Vol. 18, No. 46 11/11/11
    paching likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the link, liked and emailed my st. rep.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The only time I get involved in politics is on voting day, and that's to vote out every incumbant. Career politicians are only concerned with their careers.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with OldVet since I'm also one as well. But sometimes a lot of calls and emails to a "career politician" about a certain agenda item coming up can often send them the signal that their precious "career" may be in jeopardy if they don't listen up and earn keep.

VIP Member
    I don't support HR 822 but support HR 2900 as "common sense alternative" more limiting of government infringement and for more US citizens to carry running here.

When U.S. Sen. Scott Brown (R-MA) won Ted Kennedy's seat against Democrat, state Attorney General, Martha Coakley, the nation saw a surprising upset in liberal MA. Liberals are trying to spin his opposition to 822 as disloyalty to 2A. In fact, in correspondence to Boston Mayor, Tom Menino, he says:
    As you know, I support the individual right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I also believe that individual states should be allowed to decide what constitutes safe and responsible gun ownership so long as it does not violate that basic constitutional right.

Under the proposed House legislation, a national concealed carry reciprocity amendment would obligate states like Massachusetts to recognize that concealed carry permits of other states, even if the bearer of that permit does not meet the requirements established by Massachusetts to receive such a concealed carry permit. I believe that the people of Massachusetts are best positioned to decide what is best for Massachusetts. Therefore, if H.R. 822 or similar legislation comes before the Senate, I will vote no.
    He elucidates the states' rights rebuttal of the bill, and many of us on this forum who support 2A are in agreement with him.

Another good argument against the 822 Trojan Horse is here. This bill undermines 2A and gives a handle for anti's to pollute that clear statement of natural right to self defense. That it has widespread, bilateral support by populist politicians should be less a celebration among supporters of 2A and more of a warning.

Including the question of the Commerce Clause, a good comparison between HR 822 vs. HR 2900
    is half-way down the page here
    with a lot of other good information on the two bills.

Gun Owners of America says of 2900
    1.It would allow residents of California, New Jersey and other “may issue” states to get out-of-state carry permits (say, from Florida or Utah) and carry in their home states -- an benefit they would not enjoy under the Stearns’ bill;
    2.Broun also protects the right of gun owners in non-permit states like Vermont and allows them to carry out-of-state without a permit; and
    3.Finally, the Broun bill does not rely on an expansive, erroneous interpretation of the Commerce Clause. Passing gun legislation that uses the Commerce Clause for authority could undercut efforts at promoting Firearms Freedom Act legislation throughout the country which specifically declares the Commerce Clause has no authority over the production of intrastate guns.
    Again, 2900 includes more U.S. citizens than 822 at imposing reciprocity while recognizing state authority and doesn't muddle the Commerce Clause. Although it does not address Illinois' denial of 2A, and maybe there's a more Constitutionally legally elegant solution, 2900 is better than 822.
    Stubborn and jem102 like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    More from Gun Owners of America on 822 vs 2900.

822 is bad law. If you have not already, please contact your representative, ask him or her to cosponsor 2900. Thank you.
    jem102 and Stubborn like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    More from Gun Owners of America on 822 vs 2900.

822 is bad law. If you have not already, please contact your representative, ask him or her to cosponsor 2900. Thank you.
    I agree and have contacted my elected representatives asking for support of 2900.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    "Pistology" has it right!

HR-822 is a bad deal...2900 gets it right.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Links