Democratic Lawmakers Urge Obama to Veto Gun Measure

This is a discussion on Democratic Lawmakers Urge Obama to Veto Gun Measure within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As Maverickx50 stated in another thread on the National Reciprocity Act, maybe the rest of the Pro-2A States should stop recognizing the Driver's Licenses from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Democratic Lawmakers Urge Obama to Veto Gun Measure

As Maverickx50 stated in another thread on the National Reciprocity Act, maybe the rest of the Pro-2A States should stop recognizing the Driver's Licenses from IL, NY, CA, and NJ. If they don't trust our law abiding Concealed Permit carrying citizens to carry in their "Crime Filled States", then maybe we shouldn't trust their Driver's (who could be drunk, or driving under the influence of drugs, or just plain bad drivers.... I've seen a few bad drivers from "up north"), to drive in the rest of the States.

This was linked on the NRA-ILA's page.

Democratic Lawmakers Urge Obama to Veto Gun Measure - NYTimes.com
    Bullet1234 and Guest1 like this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Thanks for the credit on my interesting yet unobtainable thought of not recognizing the Illinois residents drivers licenses. I have mixed feelings on this bill but feel pretty sure our current "man for change" in the White-house will never sign it into law. After all that would represent a change.
    tkruf likes this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

The title is misleading. There are democrats who are supporting the bill. The headline should be "Some Democratic..."

It's an example of fine legwork of reporters today. Well, at least that of many of them sadly.
    Hopyard and gunsnroses like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    The title is misleading. There are democrats who are supporting the bill. The headline should be "Some Democratic..."

It's an example of fine legwork of reporters today. Well, at least that of many of them sadly.
    We've truly reached the point in US journalism where no one's accounts can be trusted. Journalists are simply unable to investigate, report, reveal, or serve the public without being compromised by their own or their employers' agendas. There's very little "news" that I don't immediately discredit anymore.
    Does anyone follow European news sources? Their "account" of current events, politics, and government in the US is 10X more accurate and salient than any dumb dung the major networks or news services in the US have the ability to offer.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    My daughter keeps a journal and is therefore a "journalist". I haven't read it, but I suspect she writes with more integrity than those who get paid to do it.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Does anyone follow European news sources? Their "account" of current events, politics, and government in the US is 10X more accurate and salient than any dumb dung the major networks or news services in the US have the ability to offer.
    For a while we would routinely watch BBC news in the evenings. Once in a while I will also check out Al-Jazeera and / or Pravda. If nothing else it provides an interesting twist on how the rest of the world views the US.

There are liberal democrats that carry guns and strongly believe in the Constitution. They are all around you/us!
    Hopyard likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    You want objective journalism, from the New York times?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Don't know if anyone caught this:
    Two Republicans senators, Scott Brown of Massachusetts and Richard G. Lugar of Indiana, have said that they oppose the latest measure
    . Lugar doesn't vote for Indiana, we "Hoosiers" recognize all licenses/permits from all States and Countries, doesn't make sense that he is against this, does it? What a tool!!! We are tired of this RINO voting for D.C. or northern VA instead of Indiana!

I hope he gets voted out!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post

Two Republicans senators, Scott Brown of Massachusetts and Richard G. Lugar of Indiana, have said that they oppose the latest measure
    Lugar doesn't vote for Indiana, we "Hoosiers" recognize all licenses/permits from all States and Countries, doesn't make sense that he is against this, does it? What a tool!!! We are tired of this RINO voting for D.C. or northern VA instead of Indiana!

I wonder if Scott Brown remembers the answers he put on the NRA survey last year when he made his bid for office, along with the promises he made to the NRA to get their support in last years election ????

It probably doesn't matter...the people of Massachusetts have been voting for anti-gun candidates for several decades.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It appears to me that many people don't really feel that the news media has a very high " MORAL STANDARD " to which they ascribe. Slant the event to favor thier view point or their employers view point in many cases.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    . Lugar doesn't vote for Indiana, we "Hoosiers" recognize all licenses/permits from all States and Countries, doesn't make sense that he is against this, does it? What a tool!!! We are tired of this RINO voting for D.C. or northern VA instead of Indiana!

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I wonder if Scott Brown remembers the answers he put on the NRA survey last year when he made his bid for office, along with the promises he made to the NRA to get their support in last years election ????

It probably doesn't matter...the people of Massachusetts have been voting for anti-gun candidates for several decades.
    When U.S. Sen. Scott Brown (R-MA) won Ted Kennedy's seat against Democrat, state Attorney General, Martha Coakley, the nation saw a surprising upset in liberal MA. Liberals are trying to spin his opposition to 822 as his softening his support of 2A. I don't buy it. In fact, in correspondence to Boston Mayor, Tom Menino, he explains his state's rights opposition to 822:
    As you know, I support the individual right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I also believe that individual states should be allowed to decide what constitutes safe and responsible gun ownership so long as it does not violate that basic constitutional right.

Under the proposed House legislation, a national concealed carry reciprocity amendment would obligate states like Massachusetts to recognize that concealed carry permits of other states, even if the bearer of that permit does not meet the requirements established by Massachusetts to receive such a concealed carry permit. I believe that the people of Massachusetts are best positioned to decide what is best for Massachusetts. Therefore, if H.R. 822 or similar legislation comes before the Senate, I will vote no.
    He elucidates the states' rights rebuttal of the bill, and many of us on this forum who support 2A are in agreement with him.

Stubborn, I don't know Lugar's reasoning
    Here, you say, "HR-822 is a bad deal...2900 gets it right."

I would oppose 822 for the four reasons that Gun Owners of America lists.

So I don't hold it against others who vote against this bad bill, HR 822.

The letter of the OP is signed by only two members of congress, a senator and a representative.

My fear is that the reason that so many other lawmakers are supporting this bill is its encroaching and tools of infringement on 2A. Most members of this forum have or had carry permits or permitless carry. GOA says, "most gun owners do not get a permit because they don’t like a system that treats their liberty as a privilege granted by the government", and that's what this bill does.

Sorry for the hijack, tkruf. But we have to read / listen critically. Back to our regularly scheduled post on not trusting the news and our leaders.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

The reasoning for Lugar is that he is anti-gun. He voted for the "assault weapons ban", closing the so-called "gunshow loophole", said he was and did vote for the 2 Obama anti-gun Supreme Court justices.

Trust me, he is not voting against this because he feels we could have a better bill, but because he is anti-gun.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    When U.S. Sen. Scott Brown (R-MA) won Ted Kennedy's seat against Democrat, state Attorney General, Martha Coakley, the nation saw a surprising upset in liberal MA. Liberals are trying to spin his opposition to 822 as his softening his support of 2A. I don't buy it. In fact, in correspondence to Boston Mayor, Tom Menino, he explains his state's rights opposition to 822:
    He elucidates the states' rights rebuttal of the bill, and many of us on this forum who support 2A are in agreement with him.

Stubborn, I don't know Lugar's reasoning
    Here, you say, "HR-822 is a bad deal...2900 gets it right."

I would oppose 822 for the four reasons that Gun Owners of America lists.

So I don't hold it against others who vote against this bad bill, HR 822.

The letter of the OP is signed by only two members of congress, a senator and a representative.

My fear is that the reason that so many other lawmakers are supporting this bill is its encroaching and tools of infringement on 2A. Most members of this forum have or had carry permits or permitless carry. GOA says, "most gun owners do not get a permit because they don’t like a system that treats their liberty as a privilege granted by the government", and that's what this bill does.

Sorry for the hijack, tkruf. But we have to read / listen critically. Back to our regularly scheduled post on not trusting the news and our leaders.
    The objection I have, is that pro-gun representatives are voting against HR-822 (which IS a bad deal) rather than amending it to more closely resemble HR-2900. Lets not "throw the baby out with the bathwater".
    Lets fix it, not scrap it.

I'm afraid it really is a moot point though, if it clears the house, it will not make it through the Senate with enough votes/support to make it "veto proof". That man in the White House will never sign pro-gun legislation into law.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Ammend 822? I doubt that Stearnes would allow it. The legislative process and environment leaves lawmakers to vote on one bill at a time, up or down, and on the basis of his statement, supporters of 2A should not write off Sen. Brown as his opponents want. I would urge MA members to learn their senator's stance on HR 2900. That should settle the Brown question.
    The fault lies with the many supporters of 822 and their attempt to "fix" 2A and the natural right to self defense to their agenda of aggrandizing government power.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links