HR822 Passes in House - Page 3

HR822 Passes in House

This is a discussion on HR822 Passes in House within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ksholder IIRC, Reid gets a lot of support from the NRA. If he sits on this bill, he can expect his opponent ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: HR822 Passes in House

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    IIRC, Reid gets a lot of support from the NRA. If he sits on this bill, he can expect his opponent to get that support. I realize he has 5 more years on his term, but the NRA has pretty good long-term memory.
    I keep hoping that Reid, being an ex-cop, and being from NV, may be more favorable to this than many think.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I keep hoping that Reid, being an ex-cop, and being from NV, may be more favorable to this than many think.
    I didn't think of that... didn't he just get a big endorsement from the NRA? Maybe there's hope after all. Of course, he's not the only voice in the Senate that might get this snagged into one of their committees.

If you notice most people who are against this bill do not even post where they are from. Probably from states that their borders reciprocate or they never leave their own state. . Perfect example of why it should pass is the state of Pennsylvania where I am from. Bordered by six states five of which do not honor our permits. Ohio and Delaware may someday honor but NY nj and md never will for sure because of theanti gun mindset.Accidentally cross a border and an honest person can go to jail for a long time. We have no second amendment in this COUNTRY we have what the states give us.The nationality of it is gone. It is time for hr 822 to pass and get some of it back. And the witty sayings on this board by people like bh153dc that the second amendment gives us the right to carry open . Open CARRY in nj NY or md. And you will be hauled away and locked up.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor man View Post
    If you notice most people who are against this bill do not even post where they are from. Probably from states that their borders reciprocate or they never leave their own state. . Perfect example of why it should pass is the state of Pennsylvania where I am from. Bordered by six states five of which do not honor our permits. Ohio and Delaware may someday honor but NY nj and md never will for sure because of theanti gun mindset.Accidentally cross a border and an honest person can go to jail for a long time. We have no second amendment in this COUNTRY we have what the states give us.The nationality of it is gone. It is time for hr 822 to pass and get some of it back. And the witty sayings on this board by people like bh153dc that the second amendment gives us the right to carry open . Open CARRY in nj NY or md. And you will be hauled away and locked up.
    Well said.

It's important tor realize that this is a long war, not a battle. I don't think that "gun people" get it, every time we move the line more toward freedom we all win, even if only by a little.

The "national reciprocity" concept isn't the end of the game, but it certainly pushes the board in the right direction.
    Hopyard, sixsccw and tts like this.

I sure would like to see the Bill pass the Senate, unlikely as that is of course.
    But I have to admit to misgivings too, this is an attack against State Rights and an increase in Federal Authority over the States and sets a potentially abusive precedent. If it goes through, what Federal Power will be forced on the states next?Now this thing works in our facopr, but a years down the road it could just as easilty be used to remove all CCW authority away from the State's to the Fedral Goverment alone.

I am all for it. Would prefer HR9200. Small steps.I think the state see the writing on the wall and are slowly coming around.

I'm in the same situation being from PA as well as work in NJ. From what I've read, it'll still remain in control of the state and not go federal. As long as that happens, I'm all for the bill. As far as the worry of current CCW states changing and not allowing it anymore to get this bill from affecting them? I don't see that happening. The uprising of all that reside there who already have CCW would be too overwhelming. I know I want to check the status of this bill almost daily and the direction it's heading to watch for the slime that tries to use this as gun control.
    What's this button do?

(I appologize in advance if this question has been answered - if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful)

I am a little confused by this bill. I could use some help from someone here who understands it better than I do.

I want this bill to pass for self-serving reasons, because it appears to give me the freedom to carry in more states (I have a NYS resident permit, and I'd like to be able to carry in NJ.)
    But I don't see how it's even gotten this far, passing the House. Reason being, for instance, why should Connecticut, that requires hands-on training and live fire practice, have to let someone from my state come waltzing in with potentially NO training other than classroom and NO firearm handling whatsoever? (This example doesn't affect me personally because I have the training and have a CT non-resident permit, but I'm just using this as an example. In NY, you're not even allowed to touch a handgun til you have the permit! Figure THAT one out!)
    Under this bill, what about a Vermont resident, who needs no permit at all to carry in his home state? If they want to wander over to New Hampshire, do they have to bring a Vermont driver's licence in order to carry, since they lack any other documentation? I know this sounds a bit absurd, but what's the answer? How is this going to work?
    It has always seemed to me that before a bill like this would even be considered for passage, all the affected states would have to come to some sort of understanding on mutually enforced standards. This bill is often justified by mentioning the fact that states recognize each other's driver's licenses - but all states (as far as I know) have similar standards for driver's training.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

The problem with these skills training requirements is that they are entirely arbitrary. Everyone has a different opinion on the minimum standard which is almost always set at or just below their own skill level. It's about like driving where everyone slower than me is an idiot and everyone faster is a moron.

I do not see a training standard as a logical or legitimate argument. The Utah permit requires a demonstration of gun handling skills but no range requirement. The AZ permit requires a shooting requirement that Ray Charles could pass. NV just dropped reciprocity with UT but not AZ citing the shooting requirement as the reason.

Personally, I don't care if you can't hit a 15" square at 10' 7 out of 10 times. If a wheelchair bound octogenarian can place the barrel against an assaulter's body and pull the trigger then they possess all the skills necessary to carry. I don't even care if he has to get his grandson to load the gun for him.

Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post
    (I appologize in advance if this question has been answered - if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful)

I am a little confused by this bill. I could use some help from someone here who understands it better than I do.

I want this bill to pass for self-serving reasons, because it appears to give me the freedom to carry in more states (I have a NYS resident permit, and I'd like to be able to carry in NJ.)
    But I don't see how it's even gotten this far, passing the House. Reason being, for instance, why should Connecticut, that requires hands-on training and live fire practice, have to let someone from my state come waltzing in with potentially NO training other than classroom and NO firearm handling whatsoever? (This example doesn't affect me personally because I have the training and have a CT non-resident permit, but I'm just using this as an example. In NY, you're not even allowed to touch a handgun til you have the permit! Figure THAT one out!)
    Under this bill, what about a Vermont resident, who needs no permit at all to carry in his home state? If they want to wander over to New Hampshire, do they have to bring a Vermont driver's licence in order to carry, since they lack any other documentation? I know this sounds a bit absurd, but what's the answer? How is this going to work?
    It has always seemed to me that before a bill like this would even be considered for passage, all the affected states would have to come to some sort of understanding on mutually enforced standards. This bill is often justified by mentioning the fact that states recognize each other's driver's licenses - but all states (as far as I know) have similar standards for driver's training.
    You just nailed the point that the opponents of this bill are trying to make. They're wrong though, this bill doesn't have a minimum standard requirement. As a matter of fact, it has no standards specified at all, and even specifically states that it's not the purpose in the text.

In the examples you have pointed out, the representatives of the states in question either accepted the fact that people will carry into their states without the training, or they voted against the bill.

Thanks livewire and SamF - good input.
    I agree with SamF about the marksmanship standards. To me, it's more about safely handling your weapon so that your carrying of it poses no danger to the people around you. This came to mind when I was checking my PX4 in my hotel room (on a business trip in Savannah) prior to going out to dinner. As I checked the chamber and magazine, it occurred to me that the folks in the rooms below mine, above mine and to either side might be unsettled if they knew somebody was handling a weapon (however safely) in an adjacent room, perhaps without proper training (as I mentioned, I have the training, but only because I pursued it on my own, just as I learned the penal codes on my own). It just seemed to me that your permit should mean at least that much - that you've been taught to safely handle your weapon, if not drive tacks with it.

Well, I'm still hoping for this bill's passage, but with idiots like my two senators voting, I dunno...
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

I saw a blurb about this in the Stars and Stripes yesterday. It makes me happy to know that when I return to the States I may have the ability to fully use one of the rights I am supposed to be defending. I will be honest and say I havent read the bill or too much else on the bill (been a little busy), but if this means I dont have to put away my guns while crossing through certain states, I am all for it.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    I saw a blurb about this in the Stars and Stripes yesterday. It makes me happy to know that when I return to the States I may have the ability to fully use one of the rights I am supposed to be defending. I will be honest and say I havent read the bill or too much else on the bill (been a little busy), but if this means I dont have to put away my guns while crossing through certain states, I am all for it.
    God bless you, son - come safe home.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post
    God bless you, son - come safe home.
    +1 Thanks for serving and keeping us safe. We will never forget...

Not sure I understand the general opinion here. Should there be a permitting process required for ownership, and should it require training to be completed? (Maybe this should be its own specific thread as it is not about this bill, but a general question related to the bill).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links