A caution about new Kel-tec pistol for non-CHP holders in Virginia

A caution about new Kel-tec pistol for non-CHP holders in Virginia

This is a discussion on A caution about new Kel-tec pistol for non-CHP holders in Virginia within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The caution is because Kel-tek's PMR30 (that shoots .22 WMR cartridges) comes only with a 30-round magazine. If you do not have a CHP, then ...

Thread: A caution about new Kel-tec pistol for non-CHP holders in Virginia

VIP Member

Thumbs down A caution about new Kel-tec pistol for non-CHP holders in Virginia

The caution is because Kel-tek's PMR30 (that shoots .22 WMR cartridges) comes only with a 30-round magazine.

If you do not have a CHP, then it would be illegal under Virginia statute 18.2-287.4 to carry that gun loaded in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Only applies to centerfire cartridges.

18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Only applies to centerfire cartridges.
    Yup.

You are right. I got it wrong.

I reacted to quickly to a story.

Thanks for the correction.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links