New Year's Wishes

New Year's Wishes

This is a discussion on New Year's Wishes within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun rights groups to challenge limitations in TN | The Tennessean | tennessean.com...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gene83

Thread: New Year's Wishes

"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Wish you luck!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Wish you luck!
    Thanks. I'm not sure where I stand on the "permits optional" issue. I can see both sides of the argument. But, easing restrictions on where you can carry would be great. I'd like to see them leave the permit requirement in place with the stipulation that if you have a permit, you can carry anywhere. I'd also like the requirement for a background check waived if you have a valid carry permit.

However, I also understand the argument that you shouldn't have to get a permit to exercise a constitutional right and that allowing carry everywhere infringes on property owner's rights if they don't want firearms on their property.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

While I wish them luck with the new legistation, I would personally prefer they revisited the "opt out" for restaurants and other establishments. TN is my home state, though I haven't actually lived there for over 30 years. My son and most of my family are there and I visit a couple times a year. I travel carrying but it is just too haphazard while actually in TN. If I go out to eat I have to look for the 'no guns allowed' sign and most likely have to sneak back to the car to stash it. I've pretty much resigned myself to leaving it at the house while I'm there. Much prefer Florida's laws which establishments and even cities/parks cannot opt out or make their own regs.

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    While I wish them luck with the new legistation, I would personally prefer they revisited the "opt out" for restaurants and other establishments. TN is my home state, though I haven't actually lived there for over 30 years. My son and most of my family are there and I visit a couple times a year. I travel carrying but it is just too haphazard while actually in TN. If I go out to eat I have to look for the 'no guns allowed' sign and most likely have to sneak back to the car to stash it. I've pretty much resigned myself to leaving it at the house while I'm there. Much prefer Florida's laws which establishments and even cities/parks cannot opt out or make their own regs.
    I agree with you. While I see the argument about rights of individual property owners, I think that if you go through two background checks and fingerprinting and have a valid permit, you should be allowed to carry everywhere...schools, court houses, airports, wherever. The idea that a valid permit holder is responsible enough to be trusted to carry lawfully in some areas and not others defies logic.
    Inspector71 likes this.

I'd like to see it possible to cc anywhere, and anywhere that wants to keep you from doing so, would be responsible for your well being while in their establishment, meaning that you, or your loved ones, if you are killed, could sue them for depriving you of the option of protecting yourself.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'd like to see it possible to cc anywhere, and anywhere that wants to keep you from doing so, would be responsible for your well being while in their establishment, meaning that you, or your loved ones, if you are killed, could sue them for depriving you of the option of protecting yourself.
    The only problem is that until someone figures out how I can take it with me, winning a lawsuit after I'm dead is a hollow victory.

Links