new Post Office case

This is a discussion on new Post Office case within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; To add to my previous post. It's not a matter of when the post office has last been robbed. It's a matter of someone could ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: new Post Office case

To add to my previous post. It's not a matter of when the post office has last been robbed. It's a matter of someone could be raped, mugged, murdered inside a post office while checking their mail late at night, or early morning. They do have the right to be there, even thought it's probably not a good idea. Some people's schedule just puts them there at those times. Someone walking by with bad intentions or just looking for an easy target, see a woman pull up at the post office and go inside, and he's got her cornered.

They need to strike down that restriction at Post Offices. Gun free zones only benefit the criminals.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

This is the first I've heard about the post office parking lot. Well I'd seen thread titles before talking about postal employees not being able to have a gun in their car in the parking lot.

I've put a handgun in a car safe a few times before going in the PO, if that was illegal then hell I should have just carried inside and not risk someone seeing me disarm & then robbing me as I got back to my car.

Also the only PO I go to now is in a sort of strip mall, they all share the same parking lot. Is it legal to park in front of the Chinese buffet but not one of the spots directly in front of the PO? Sounds like a lot of typical government/anti gun silliness.

If the post office propery is deemed federal property, then it should also be illegal for local police, armed guards and security to go in right?
    Isnt that jurisdiction?

The reason i ask is because during Hurricane Katrina i worked for a security company and one of our task was to keep the nopd off of the port where the cruise ships were, they had to disarm when coming onto the port since fema deemed the port federal property.

Post office is federal right?

It depends on the location. If it is a free standing building the PO is in, then yes.

However, many locations have PO stores in them, and those are not federal property. Those are leased locations within privately owned facilities that have to follow state laws. Same as all other stores in those locations do.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGoneDays View Post
    This is the first I've heard about the post office parking lot. Well I'd seen thread titles before talking about postal employees not being able to have a gun in their car in the parking lot.

I've put a handgun in a car safe a few times before going in the PO, if that was illegal then hell I should have just carried inside and not risk someone seeing me disarm & then robbing me as I got back to my car.

Also the only PO I go to now is in a sort of strip mall, they all share the same parking lot. Is it legal to park in front of the Chinese buffet but not one of the spots directly in front of the PO? Sounds like a lot of typical government/anti gun silliness.
    If the parking area is common to all business there, it's not the PO's lot. Not even the space right in front of it.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

The one in my area is a free standing building on a free standing lot with only woods adjacent to it, even has a lockable gate but i see police come in all the time and mail letters, so techincally............................?

The employee parking lot has a sign posted federal property and the customer parking does not

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Here's one to watch. Behold, an actual pro-2A op-ed piece in the Denver Post!
    Yeah, I was also surprised to see this in the Denver Post. Must have been a rough day at the office for Mike Litwin :o)

And I wish the Bonidys luck on their case.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I know a guy who was postmaster of a one-man post office. He retired early due to alcoholic seizures. He has a CCW. I trust him slightly more than the tweakers that live down the road from him.

Now look here... he didn't obey the law... He's not supposed to have a gun in a Post Office. Wait... 3 guns? How could this happen? Also, he's an employee above all. The cops show up and have him under arrest within 10 minutes. Don't know if he was trying to hit anyone? Well, I think if he was trying to hit someone, he could have very well done it within 10 minutes. In fact, he could have shot and killed/wounded most everyone in there within 10 minutes.

Yet another reason why we "need" to be able to carry when we go into the post office to check our mail or conduct business. The employees are dangerous!

Ala. postal worker opens fire in mail room - CBS News
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    One thing I'm not clear on. If the Post Office is in a leased building on private land, it is not Federal property. If the State law does not make ignoring a "no guns" sign illegal, is it illegal to carry there?

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    One thing I'm not clear on. If the Post Office is in a leased building on private land, it is not Federal property. If the State law does not make ignoring a "no guns" sign illegal, is it illegal to carry there?
    Be careful how you ask that question, I started a thread on this very topic earlier today, and it got locked.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Why would you need a gun in a post office? No one's gonna rob it; everyone knows they're broke.
    It's just the fact that I am a person who is armed all the time. It's mainly a matter of having to disarm and leave the gun in the car for a 3 minute trip into the post office. It's why I avoid as many posted businesses like the plague.

It's not a matter of needing the gun inside the post office, it's all the "on and off" business of messing with the gun once I've strapped it on for the day. It's ridiculous. I'm not the bad guy. My gun is going to hurt no one who doesn't deserve to be shot.
    Last edited by Bark'n; January 21st, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    It depends on the location. If it is a free standing building the PO is in, then yes.

However, many locations have PO stores in them, and those are not federal property. Those are leased locations within privately owned facilities that have to follow state laws. Same as all other stores in those locations do.
    There you go. That's based on established law.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I am more concerned about the issues associated with unnecessary handling to disarm to go in there. For the PO to be declared 'sensitive' someone must have been smokin sometin good.
    Ditto here.

Plus there is the principle of the issue.

IMHO, as criminals do not obey regs on their way to committing a felony and "gun-free sites" are a fairy tale -- only places with metal detectors and armed guards should be classified a "sensitive place." If it is "sensitive" enough that I must disarm, it is "sensitive" enough to demand far more than a sign on the door or as in Veteran Admin regs some prominent place on the property.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Perhaps the firearms restriction in post offices is aimed (no pun intended) more toward their own employees since the term "going postal" originated a number of years ago when it was becoming common place for disgruntled postal employees to walk into their station with an Uzi and open fire on their fellow employees.

Back then, Post Office flags flying at half-mast meant they were hiring
    Then ban employees having firearms -- not the general public.

Wait a minute! They were banned when that happened. How could that have happened? Surely someone intent on murder would have been dissuaded by a sign on the door.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links