new Post Office case - Page 4

new Post Office case

This is a discussion on new Post Office case within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IF the Govt. is in control of the property (lease, rent), then the law applies. Same way it applies in Castle Doctrine states for us ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: new Post Office case

IF the Govt. is in control of the property (lease, rent), then the law applies.

Same way it applies in Castle Doctrine states for us as residential renters and hotel/motel stays.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Even if the land and building are leased it is still Federal property. The same as Military bases. You would be surprised at how much Military land is leased.
    When the Federal Government signs the lease it falls under the same rules as any Federal property.
    As Federal Property it does not have to be posted to prohibit weapons. The posting is just giving you one more chance to think about it.
    I am not saying I agree with any , it just the way it is. If you have any doubt stop in and ask the postmaster where you can check you firearm. Good luck.

If you have any doubt stop in and ask the postmaster where you can check you firearm.
    <SARCASM OFF> If you didn't get that.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

You forgot the major exception to that rule. The leased property has to be free standing from other places.

Any federal entity that rents space that is part of a larger commercial building, then it is NOT federal property. Then the normal state rules apply. There are a lot of federal offices inside of other buildings that are most definately not on federal property. If this was not the case, then all that would have to be done to ban guns in most places would be to have the federal government rent some space.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    If you have any doubt stop in and ask the postmaster where you can check you firearm. Good luck.
    That will only lead to a long conversation about concealment holsters and articles he read in the magazines about ammo types. Small town life is good. Unforthunately due to the Post Office's ridiculous business hours, I can only see a human on rare days that I have off work. And they wonder why I use UPS!

why would anyone have to know you are CC .....just go in, do your business and leave...... K.I.S.S.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    why would anyone have to know you are CC .....just go in, do your business and leave...... K.I.S.S.
    I hope you are not suggesting breaking a law here. Difference between a "no gun" sign and going into a place that you can not legally go.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I hope you are not suggesting breaking a law here. Difference between a "no gun" sign and going into a place that you can not legally go.
    +1k
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Bad idea. Very Bad Idea. I'll give you an example, you CC and go in to check your PO Box. Bad guy comes in shoots Postal Clerk and starts to point at you. You draw, fire and end the threat. How long do you think it will be before you hear "Good shot and you're under arrest". Yea I know you did a good thing but I have no faith that the powers that be will be willing to turn their back and ignore the federal crime(s) you committed.

Murphy will be waiting for you with a baseball bat. Don't do it until after, hopefully, this bad law is struck down.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Here is the bottom line. Go to the forum rules and read them. It is against the rules to discuss illegal activity. The previous thread I believe got closed for that. But ask a mod why. Bottom line: Forum rule or not...why on earth would you recommend/urge somebody to break the law?

Your not serious. Are you?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    In this case, he was in my CCW class. That cat never got into the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Wasn't there a shooting, maybe intended robbery, in a small postal office a few months ago? (Don't have time to look it up right now, it might have been a contract office, not actual Postal property.)
    Here it is, Henning TN, 18 Oct 2010. (OK, more than a few months.)

But, when was the last time a Post Office was robbed by a licensed CCW permit holder?
    Yes, the Henning TN Post Office murders were very bad. And in a very small town. The end result was the two scum bags who did it are now dead as well, killed in a shoot out with the police some weeks later not related tot he Post Office investigation.

Interestingly, your linked article is from the TV station I worked at when we lived there.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Many times I'll have to drop off a letter or two in the morning on the way to work. Fortunately, the post office I go by has a street facing box. I stop on the street and drop my mail in the box, get in my car and head to work. When I'm not carrying, I can drive through the parking lot and roll down my window and drop the mail in without exiting my vehicle. This would be a nice restriction to have lifted.

Some years ago we had local police officers coming on post to train with soldiers. They were invited to work with them on handling prisoners . It seems the infantrys idea of how to do it was not nice so they needed to learn some new ways to do it.
    The LEOs had been told in the paper work NO FIRE ARMS would be allowed on post. 2 of them just did not believe that that applied to them. They we taken into custody and held by the Base police. If it had no been for a very understanding Post Commander they would have been hung. He issued them a backed date letter allowing them a one time pass on it.
    Federal property has it's own rules and you need to understand them if you carry.
    I messed up once reported to a command with one in my trunk forgot it was still in there. As I was filling out paper work I read All fire arms must be checked at the front gate .
    I remember it was there. I also got lucky MP took it and told be to stop by latter and do the paper work. I still have that old P89DC

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links