Bill passes allowing govt' to imprison American citizens without the right of Habeus - Page 6

Bill passes allowing govt' to imprison American citizens without the right of Habeus

This is a discussion on Bill passes allowing govt' to imprison American citizens without the right of Habeus within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sticks I believe they have always had it. Could be wrong, as it does not happen often. There are side effects to ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Bill passes allowing govt' to imprison American citizens without the right of Habeus

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I believe they have always had it. Could be wrong, as it does not happen often. There are side effects to doing it.

Citizens have it when dealing with signed contracts. I've done it. Shame on them for not catching it.
    \

NO, no, and NO. A president does not have line item veto powers. He can't pick and choose parts of a bill.

Some claim presidents have a right to something called "signing statements." Those are not line item vetoes. They are
    probably an end run around the Constitution and Congress; GWB used them copiously, but was not the first. It is simply a statement by the president that he understands a certain section to mean a certain thing, to serve a particular purpose.

From Wikipedia Types of signing statements:

"A study released by then-Assistant Attorney General, 1993–1996, Walter Dellinger[3] grouped signing statements into three categories:

Constitutional: asserts that the law is constitutionally defective in order to guide executive agencies in limiting its implementation;
    Political: defines vague terms in the law to guide executive agencies in its implementation as written;
    Rhetorical: uses the signing of the bill to mobilize political constituencies."

Signing statement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tzadik likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    The President has no line item veto authority. Congress passed such a bill in 1996. The Supreme Court shot it down in 1998. End of subject.
    Yes, and usually when folks talk about line item vetoes they are wanting to give the executive budgetary authority to strike things
    like pork spending provisions.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    When I started this thread, I did not realize that it had not gone thru the House yet, nor that the Prez has prmised to veto it--yet the very fact that it has made it this far is very, very troubling.......
    Doesn't matter. Obama can veto it all day long but they would just override it.... which I think will happen

When will people stop being afraid and start living their lives like normal. This bill can stop and jail people that holds protest about the government by calling them extremist radicals......
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I just heard that the White House will be issuing a "signing statement" will ignore that part of the law. I have no idea what that is or how it works.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links