Graphs and Heaven and the Second

Graphs and Heaven and the Second

This is a discussion on Graphs and Heaven and the Second within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Need we say more? No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money: Every Picture Tells A Story, Part Two...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 2 Post By Pistology

Thread: Graphs and Heaven and the Second

Thumbs up Graphs and Heaven and the Second

RETSUPT99 and Tally XD like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I like the article... I like the graph... But all the graph really says is that the population is growing, and violent crime rates are going down.

I wouldn't suggest using this as ammo against a professional anti. They'd chew it up and spit it out as non corollary, and frankly, it is... But, it supports "our side" graphically, and that's a plus.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I like the article... I like the graph... But all the graph really says is that the population is growing, and violent crime rates are going down.

I wouldn't suggest using this as ammo against a professional anti. They'd chew it up and spit it out as non corollary, and frankly, it is... But, it supports "our side" graphically, and that's a plus.
    Yeah.. I was scratching my head as I was looking at the numbers and trying to figure out what they mean.. Once I figured it out I realize the graph was fairly meaningless. Now if they showed the percentage of US citizens who carry, that might be more interesting.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Yeah.. I was scratching my head as I was looking at the numbers and trying to figure out what they mean.. Once I figured it out I realize the graph was fairly meaningless. Now if they showed the percentage of US citizens who carry, that might be more interesting.
    Not so much... It's obvious that with all the states recently going to Shall issue, permits are going up... So the people with permits are increasing while "violent crime" is waning... No correlation can be shown.. One number goes up another goes down.

It could just be, since the population is growing, violent crime as a percentage of population is going down (rate means per 100 or some other number... so more people = "less crime."

It's like the unemployment rate going down... with no new jobs created... It sounds great, but ain't really any better.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

It is merely a graphic representation of the overall decline of violent crime rates graphed against the % US population in shall issue and constitutional carry states. Draw your own conclusions. There are a bazillion graphs like this showing whatever you might want.

Personally, I think it is the rise of the Mutant Ninja Turtles causing the declines, but that's another cartoon.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Mutant Ninja Turtles or not, I still like it...

I'll show it to a blonde, to win her over...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It is merely a graphic representation of the overall decline of violent crime rates graphed against the % US population in shall issue and constitutional carry states. Draw your own conclusions. There are a bazillion graphs like this showing whatever you might want.
    As long as it doesn't say that violent crime rates increase in positive correlation with the number of folks who carry, then the remaining 30% of us who don't live in "Shall Issue" or "Constitutional Carry" states are due from our state governments a valid reason to maintain infringement on our Second Amendment rights.
    Rock and Glock and sdprof like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That graph is making some pretty tremendous assertions. Gun ownership probably plays a small role, however.

There's been a lot more going on in the last 40 years, to include some controversial studies (think freakonomics), but hey guys, keep fighting the good fight.

Sponsored Links