Question on:campus, your handgun, and your car?

This is a discussion on Question on:campus, your handgun, and your car? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am currently working on a university campus in Texas, and the more that I read the laws on having my gun locked in my ...

Thread: Question on:campus, your handgun, and your car?

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar

Question on:campus, your handgun, and your car?

I am currently working on a university campus in Texas, and the more that I read the laws on having my gun locked in my car while I work, the more unsure I am that I can even have it in my car and in the parking lot in the first place? We park in the parking lot of the dorms so it is a public parking area not provided by my employer. Also I'm wondering if unloaded makes a difference?
    I am looking for the opinions of those whos daily routine takes them on and off of campus and that they may deal with this on a daily basi?
    I understand that legal advise won't be given in response to my question and that if I need that I will consult a lawyer. Again, I am looking for opinions?

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

2. Remove Ads

To start with, TX statute

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;
    Are you sure the dorm parking area is "public" and not campus property?
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I have the EXACT same problem: work for a university and parking is in the lots by the dorms. It is considered school grounds and even being locked in your vehicle is a felony. My solution has been that there is a nearby shopping center with a bus stop by it that is serviced by the campus shuttle. Since it is a shopping center, it is NOT school property. The school does have park & ride lots, which I think may still be considered school grounds since they are owned by the university.

VIP Member
    Just giving a quick look at TX regulations, your not legal to have your gun on school property, even locked unloaded in your car.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    To start with, TX statute

Are you sure the dorm parking area is "public" and not campus property?
    I am sure that the lot that I park in is campus property. The lot is on campus.

What is confusing to me is that it also says this in that same section.

(c) In this section:
    (1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035
    Here it is:

PC 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
    (b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder inten- tionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
    (1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license is- sued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as deter- mined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
    (2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or profes- sional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

(f) In this section:
    (3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area

This is the part that makes me question what I am reading..... I thought my reading comprehension was pretty good until I started reading laws.... :-)

If you check with an attorney, you will probably find that keeping it in your vehicle while it's parked in a university parking lot is still a violation of the law. We run into the same problem here at the University of Tennessee. The parking lots are considered part of the campus and therefore firearms are prohibited. Legislators, many of whom are attornies, keep their colleagues in the legal profession busy by writing legislation in such a manner that it takes an attorney to interpret it.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Thank you guys for your opinions and I have also came to the same conclusion. My gun will stay off campus.

Sorry I don't have the details or the time to look it up right now, but the Texas Legislature just passed and the Governor signed a new law that allows firearms in vehicles on campus as I understand it. I think it goes into effect Jan 1. I could be wrong about the details, but I know there has been a change. I'll try to look it up later.

Thank you for that, I will try to find it also.

Links