Another victim of NY/NYC lack of reciprocity. 39 y/o med student faces prison time.

Another victim of NY/NYC lack of reciprocity. 39 y/o med student faces prison time.

This is a discussion on Another victim of NY/NYC lack of reciprocity. 39 y/o med student faces prison time. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tennessee gun owner arrested at 9/11 Memorial in New York for gun possession - NYPOST.com A tourist from Tennessee waltzed into one of the most ...

View Poll Results: What do you think is a just punishment for the Nurse in the article?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Warning

44 46.81%
  • Misdemeanor

11 11.70%
  • Fine

33 35.11%
  • Revoke her license to carry concealed

4 4.26%
  • Felony Conviction (minimum 3 1/2 year sentence)

0 0%
  • Felony Conviction (maximum 20 year sentence)

2 2.13%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Another victim of NY/NYC lack of reciprocity. 39 y/o med student faces prison time.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Tennessee gun owner arrested at 9/11 Memorial in New York for gun possession - NYPOST.com

A tourist from Tennessee waltzed into one of the most secure sites in the city and politely asked a cop if she could check her weapon.
    She should have known the law BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Not everyone is going to know every law. I imagine being a 4th year med student, she had other things to remember relative to her profession. Our current interstate firearm law system is rigged to ensnare citizens who have no criminal intent.

We need full interstate reciprocity to protect lawful gun owners from oppressive laws!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Sadly, apparently she was not a reader of this forum or TGO.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

She needs Alain V Massena.

305 Broadway # 1001
    New York, NY 10007-1157
    (212) 766-1700

Seen his work before when a friend got arrested for something similar.

My friend never got the gun back...but considering it's a Ruger P-95, I don't see the problem with him loosing it.

Its not like it was something nice, like a Glock...

Anyway...Massena is the guy she needs.

Yes. He is that good.
    gasmitty and WonderBra like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

She should have known the law BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Not everyone is going to know every law. I imagine being a 4th year med student, she had other things to remember relative to her profession.
    I'll take moderate issue with this. If you're smart enough and aware enough to be in your fourth year of medical school, you darned well ought to be smart enough and aware enough to know that New York City is about the least gun-friendly city in our nation. I understand being intently focused on one's studies, but focused to the exclusion of the world around you isn't helpful. Samuel Clemens once remarked, "I never let my schooling interfere with my education." Seems like this girl may have.

At least it happened in NYC where she may get a break from the judicial system. I doubt she'd have as good a chance in Washington, D.C.

I do, however, agree with you that full interstate reciprocity is needed. Sadly, it'll be a cold day in hell when NYC surrenders their authority over guns to the State... look how the State allowed the CC laws to be written around NYC as a profound exception.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    While I have no use for NYC and their draconian gun laws, I have a hard time feeling sorry for her. Anyone who hasn't been living in a vacuum all their lives knows guns are not allowed in NYC. My guess she traveled by either car or bus, in which case she probably went through DC and NJ on the way. It's a mistake she won't make again, since as a convicted felon she won't have gun rights any longer.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I know ignorance of the law is not an excuse, however, in today's day and age this should never have happened. I absolutely flat out REFUSE to spend any tourist money in any city or state that denies me the right to carry. PERIOD. I even go so far as to not spend money with companies based out of those states if I can help it as well. I go look for companies that are in free states. Sometimes I can, sometimes I have no choice ( such as in the case of ar's with bravo Company.. although WI is coming around...and Colt... which makes me smile that they are moving to FL) Just like if you have a no gun sign on your business, then you obviously do not need my money because the economy is so good nowadays. I vote silently with my wallet if I can. Hit them where it hurts.

Medical student or not, anyone who decides to pack a gun better know the gun laws of the places in which they travel.
    JD, Hopyard, DocPMD and 9 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Frankly, I hope she gets off... And, I don't care whether she gets her gun back or not...

But, as a permitted carrier, it is incumbent upon her to know the laws of the states (or the areas within her own state) through which she travels.

I would like to see a national reciprocity law that was not a guise for (and could not become) some other scheme. One which forces even states like IL and NJ and NYC to accept the "less fettered" rights of others who visit their state.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    Does anyone here other than me think that it is totally ridiculous that you can legally have a pistol with a permit anywhere in the state other than NYC?

This goes beyond stupid.
    msgt/ret, Bark'n, Gforty and 3 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It's a mistake she won't make again, since as a convicted felon she won't have gun rights any longer.
    My prediction...Admittedly based only on one case I know of but was involved in from begining to end...

$6,500 or so in legal fees, charges dropped after about a year, renewed NRA membership.

Chica will be fine.

Pissed, out the funds and loose the gun...but fine.
    Rock and Glock and atctimmy like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    My prediction...Admittedly based only on one case I know of but was involved in from begining to end...

$6,500 or so in legal fees, charges dropped after about a year, renewed NRA membership.

Chica will be fine.

Pissed, out the funds and loose the gun...but fine.
    Hopefully your correct. Hard to tell though, I guess it will depend on Mayor Dumbergs mood. He made sure the idiot Plaxico Burress paid he price, of course since she didn't have a ND so he might feel benevolent and overlook her transgression.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Hopefully your correct. Hard to tell though, I guess it will depend on Mayor Dumbergs mood. He made sure the idiot Plaxico Burress paid he price, of course since she didn't have a ND so he might feel benevolent and overlook her transgression.
    I will refrain from saying which Borro...but...The deputy head of the DA's office in one of them is...well informed, and very reasonable.

Their is...potential...for a good outcome...

Depending on what happens, this can go quite painlessly...

Or not.
    Hopyard, Rock and Glock and ccman like this.

VIP Member
    What happens in NYC stays in NYC.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    A friend of a freind of mine went through this from an incident at the Statute of Liberty last spring. He got off, but it cost him dearly in legal fees. I don't know if they kept his gun. He was very happy not to go back to jail after the three days he spent there on the initial arrest.

I don't like the laws there, but she had the responsibility to learn them out before she went.

This lady was not very bright. I hope the reciprocity bill to passs but come on. New York! It isn't like there is a little loophole they got her on. NY, IL, CA are like the big three on every persons radar that CC. If not they need to get edjamacated. People who own guns and ones the CC are always telling people how responsible they are. This wasn't a little boo boo. Yeah the laws suck in NY and I hope her lawyer can get it down to a misdemeanor. Breaking a law like she did does not warrant a felony. I am surprised there is a law at all considering she had a .32 (not like she was carrying a real cannon like a .380 LOL) Sorry, had to throw that in LOL.
    NYCrulesU likes this.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links