Could the Virginia bottle-neck on approval of sales be on its lasy legs?

Could the Virginia bottle-neck on approval of sales be on its lasy legs?

This is a discussion on Could the Virginia bottle-neck on approval of sales be on its lasy legs? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; McDonnell targets Virginia background checks for guns | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com ** McDonnell targets Virginia background checks for guns By Julian Walker The Virginian-Pilot ...

Thread: Could the Virginia bottle-neck on approval of sales be on its lasy legs?

VIP Member

Thumbs up Could the Virginia bottle-neck on approval of sales be on its lasy legs?

McDonnell targets Virginia background checks for guns | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

McDonnell targets Virginia background checks for guns

By Julian Walker
    The Virginian-Pilot
    January 2, 2012

RICHMOND

Gov. Bob McDonnell said if it's legally feasible, he'd support doing away with Virginia's 22-year-old criminal background check program for firearms purchases in favor of a federal system that also screens prospective gun buyers for eligibility to obtain weapons.

SNIP

IMHO, YES! It's legally feasible -- IF we repeal the draconian nonsense of only One-Gun-a-Month (on non-CHP holders). IIRC, handgun purchase data accessed by name cannot legally be retrieved from the data in NICS.

TDO/Vol. Commitment record sharing - already done with NICS

Foreign born restrictions are red herring -- as Va. law is less restrictive than federal.

Protective orders - data sharing beyond VCIN would be required to enforce via NICS. [FWIIW, I do believe that current failure of Va. to share the protective order info with NICS creates a loophole allowing the sale of long guns to those subject to protective orders -- if they buy from dealers in other states.]

In any case, when these bills are being considered, I let folk know -- so that you can join in on the emails, calls, etc to the appropriate Legislators.

We could see the end to long delays in approval of sales [especially at gun-shows on the weekend] that are created by the State under-funding the SP approval staff.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I hate the current system. I am delayed on EVERY gun purchase. The delays have been from 45 minutes to several hours & on two occasions...DAYS!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Sponsored Links