Year of record gun sales and of people shot or killed

This is a discussion on Year of record gun sales and of people shot or killed within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; and a call to action?: Originally Posted by from the article Protest candlelight vigils organized by the Brady Campaign are being planned nationally for Jan. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Year of record gun sales and of people shot or killed

Year of record gun sales and of people shot or killed

and a call to action?:
    Quote Originally Posted by from the article
    Protest candlelight vigils organized by the Brady Campaign are being planned nationally for Jan. 8. Nearly 30 cities and towns have signed up proof that sensible voters are demanding stronger protection from gun violence.
    Story here

Proof of nothing, actually. Violent crime down/gun deaths up? Suicide/accidents are the only possible causes, then.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

2. Remove Ads

Where are they even getting their numbers? Another example of made up numbers. Well, a purposefully incomplete set of numbers anyways.

The DOJ that processes all of the statistics can't have compiled anything yet. The year did not end for one (when the article was published), and two it just takes time to process the data.

"the end of another year of almost 100,000 people shot or killed with a gun

I wonder what the break down of that stat is? Were 75,000 shot and lived but 25,000 were bludgeoned to death with a gun?

Does Brady have access to FBI info the rest of us don't get? On the FBI website I could only find preliminary stats for January to June and no breakdown by weapon used.

The NYT wouldn't fib or fail to check facts now would they?
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

VIP Member
    . Protest candlelight vigils organized by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence are being planned nationally for Jan. 8. Nearly 30 cities and towns have signed up, proof that sensible voters are demanding stronger protection from gun violence.

Read more here: Year of record gun sales and of people shot or killed | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Want to bet every one of the 30 cities that have signed up have a Mayor who is one of Bloomberg "Mayor's Against Illegal Guns" cronies? I find it interesting that the 600+ organization, which walks hand in hand with Brady can only muster 30 cities.
    Sarisataka likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Lets see, we've got Chicago, New York City, several in California, we all know the way they feel already.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Well, I did the best I could to boost record gun sales. Six in a year (9 months, actually) is certainly a record for me.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    There is one statistic in there that I have heard repeated on more reputable sources: that there were 1,534,414 NICS checks for purchases in November. This doesn't even count the sales that don't require the check, such as to CC permit holders in states where the permit works in lieu of an NICS call. I heard this figure reiterated again on the news yesterday morning, followed by the comment that they think that the number for December will be even higher than November.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    There is one statistic in there that I have heard repeated on more reputable sources: that there were 1,534,414 NICS checks for purchases in November. This doesn't even count the sales that don't require the check, such as to CC permit holders in states where the permit works in lieu of an NICS call. I heard this figure reiterated again on the news yesterday morning, followed by the comment that they think that the number for December will be even higher than November.
    Yup, December 2011 was another record breaking month. Over 1.5 million background checks (but no number of actual approvals and sales). I'll wager that WI and IL were among the highest if broke down by state.

I hope we are not about to see a free repeater of 2008 with a staggering increase in firearm and ammo prices driven by consumer stockpiling.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Yup, December 2011 was another record breaking month. Over 1.5 million background checks (but no number of actual approvals and sales). I'll wager that WI and IL were among the highest if broke down by state.

I hope we are not about to see a free repeater of 2008 with a staggering increase in firearm and ammo prices driven by consumer stockpiling.
    Ammo has been flying off the shelves at local Wal Marts lately. I recently checked 3 Wally Worlds and they didn't have any 9mm ammo in stock in any brand (except one store had a couple boxes of Tul Ammo which I passed on).

I should have made that read "Consumer Panic Stockpiling"
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I should have made that read "Consumer Panic Stockpiling"
    It may not be entirely panic stock piling, but honest supply and demand. At the local range that the wife and I go to, they offer a deal of the concealed carry course plus a six month membership for $100. When we signed up in June, they held a class three or four Saturdays a month, each with about a 12-15 students and you could enroll as early as the Friday before. Now, the classes are filled about a month in advance with 150+ students. If everyone taking these classes gets their permit and starts buying guns and ammo, that would really a massive increase in demand. If what is happening here is happening elsewhere, which the NICS checks would indicate it is.

On the plus side, this could indicate a significant cultural shift towards pro-2A rights as more people become aware of and actively stump for their rights.

Links