Idiot delivers a rant about the "right to keep & bear arms"

This is a discussion on Idiot delivers a rant about the "right to keep & bear arms" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not sure whether the tone and intent of the following opinion article published in the left-leaning college student newspaper UVU Review (in Utah) is ...

Thread: Idiot delivers a rant about the "right to keep & bear arms"

Idiot delivers a rant about the "right to keep & bear arms"

I'm not sure whether the tone and intent of the following opinion article published in the left-leaning college student newspaper UVU Review (in Utah) is serious or sardonic in a lame attempt at satire.

I'd think it is the latter, according to research online of the raving idiot's name. He's a leftist who supports illegal immigrants' right to remain in the state as video proof of this "he-thought-he's-clever" loon singing shrilly shows.

2012 Blues

I made the posts (one for instance) about UVU Review's negative attitude towards gun rights in Utah state and on campus (probably the only state that allows the right to bear arms on public tax money-subsidized campus) in the past.

My impression of reading the op-ed of the liberal loon (I Googled his name and ascertained he's an anti-gun communist) is like discerning the enemy's identity by his fallacious and superficial argument -- delusional, self-righteous, and narcissistic who has the unnatural fear of firearms, so he must speak out as a "journalist" with a "high-minded moral" agenda.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I have no idea what the point of that article was.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Seems to me he was mostly trying to say he doesn't think the world will end tomorrow, and your zombie guns are never actually going to have to be used on zombies. That being said, it's clear from reading this he either had the worst day ever and then posted it on the internet for all to see, or he's a complete and utter moron. I'm inclined to think the latter.

His intellect is above my pay grade... And he's a bit more verbose than I (and that's sayin' sumthin')

And he may be, as the OP suggests, a left wing loon. But just in case.... notice, that he's a bit older than he was in the video. Just as I am a bit older than I was when I participated in the May Day march in the early seventies.

He actually does be seeming to admit that a gun looks cool... He does seem to admit that the world is getting a bit more questionably safe... He does wonder about the NDAA and the possible ramifications, he does wonder about the mob actions at the Wisconsin state fair.

He does admit that he might purchase a gun, and that the chances of his having to use it are pretty slim... And frankly hopes that it silly to march up a hill shooting imaginary zombies... that it never actually comes to that...

See, with a died in the wool anti, it's a long slow turn to our side... and those that do (like John Lott, for example) take a while to embrace the logic of carrying a gun...

Maybe you're not reading it carefully enough... but it could fall either way...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

A pretty much thinly disguised and sarcastic attempt to make gun owners look like complete fools. He didn't convince me at all.

This guy is as transparent as a 4x8 sheet of clear glass.

Let's hope for his sake if he is ever attacked and his life depends upon fighting back, he may have to use a gun he says he's willing to purchase. Unless he can "talk" the thug out of it with his sterling approach to the English language, I'm placing my bet on the former.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

JoJo... all due respect... I've read it over (yet again) and I think you're wrong...

Near the bottom he says:
    "I’ll probably end up getting some sort of gun. But I’m betting that I’ll never have to fire it, unless I find some more busted televisions."
    There are some 52,000 members here... how many times have we seen posts where someone actually had to fire their weapon to save their lives? We have seen some brandishing, but we haven't seen anyone who actually had to fire a civilian gun in the hands of a civilian, against a bad guy... So, his bet is probably a good one.

And later:
    "Here’s hoping that it stays silly. Here’s hoping that the unruly mob stays imaginary. Cheers."
    Hopyard (another respected member here) has made many posts talking about how there are many foretelling the end of the world as we know it... and his sig line is:
    "There are croakers in every country, always boding its ruin."
    Benjamin Franklin

And the author of this piece does the same about halfway thru his rant.. But he also wonders aloud about mobs in state fairs, 5 year olds being restrained by LEO for assault, and citizens being killed for asking LEO for a warrant.

We've had those discussions here as well... and wonder about the state of our world...

It must be hard for a liberal to change his stripes... and they do, you know. This one seems to be changing his tack... and sweeping bushes over the dirt to obscure his footprints... If he is, in actuality, really thinking about the sense in having some means to protect himself, he may bring some of his kind with him... And that's not a bad thing.

This one is a wait/see for me... But we need not be so dead set that he is the enemy... because he is an anti... any more than we should all be labeled gun nuts.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Oak,

we can all disagree on things, and it's cool. Really. I do admit that it is a possibility that I am wrong, but.....

I like to write. Sometimes the way things are written say volumes rather than the opposite. Many anti's use the sarcastic approach because it is non-threatening to their firearm owning audience, but in reality, this guy probably is not friendly to firearms and ownership. His choice of wording and phrasing does it for me.

He uses silliness to drill home his point of how clueless we gun owners can be percieved by others that we are expecting chaos in the world we live, rather than being prepared for things that could happen, but hopefully, dont. His ridicule is in there albeit disguised rather well. Why do we need a firearm when the Mayans have predicted the end of the world 12/24/2012??? You see his style? Subtle ridicule.

I know his type and have had conversations with them and they use exactly the same language to make fun of me, my firearms and the reasoning behind even wanting one. They know that coming out and saying we are ridiculous to want one would not be productive in pushing the anti agenda. So they talk like this guy. Some of them even would want to "shoot" a gun, but doubt it seriously.

Like I said, he didn't convince me he is for firearms, he points it out by his writing style.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Links