CC on Idaho college campus? Just checking...

This is a discussion on CC on Idaho college campus? Just checking... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Reading the Idaho law, I see a prohibition against carrying on the grounds of a private or public school. I see private school defined elsewhere ...

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Reading the Idaho law, I see a prohibition against carrying on the grounds of a private or public school. I see private school defined elsewhere in the law as K-12 (of various sorts) and see no definition of private school.

Is it OK for a non-student/non-staff to carry concealed (with proper permit) on a college campus in Idaho? You know, for the times a non-student wants to visit their library or some such? Sure seems like it.

Thanks!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

The way I read it, you can't possess a gun in any school, that's what public & private means. If you are legal to conceal a handgun, you can have it in your vehicle if you are dropping off or picking up a student, provided you do not exit the vehicle.
    I think your in for a bad time should you get caught with a handgun on school property. JMHO!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Oh, no doubt about K-12, and I am well aware that a gun on campus would get lots of knickers in bunches (I live near Virginia Tech). But I'm interested in the legality of COLLEGE carry in Idaho. The law says 'not on public and private school property' and also defines "public school" as K-12 (thus presumably defining by analogy the private schools as K-12 as well). I just wanted to know if there was something I might be missing about colleges. It *looks* like it's legal to me, but thought an Idahoan might wish to help me out.

And again, I do *not* see this as a time to exercise my right to open carry... and spend the day chatting with the cops... maybe from the back seat...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Links