In Oregon, you can have your weed and your gun, according to the state supreme court

This is a discussion on In Oregon, you can have your weed and your gun, according to the state supreme court within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Oregon Supreme Court: Medical pot users can have guns - Koinlocal6.com In a nutshell, the Oregon Supreme Court ruled that medical pot users can have ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By suntzu
  • 1 Post By peckman28
  • 1 Post By mlr1m

Thread: In Oregon, you can have your weed and your gun, according to the state supreme court

In Oregon, you can have your weed and your gun, according to the state supreme court

Oregon Supreme Court: Medical pot users can have guns - Koinlocal6.com

In a nutshell, the Oregon Supreme Court ruled that medical pot users can have conceal carry permits. I'm not a medical pot user, but just curious what the general opinions are on this subject. In fact, I'm undecided if this is a good thing. It's illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana, so I don't know if it's a good idea to carry while under the influence. The only difference is that you carry a card saying that you can be legally stoned while behind the wheel. But I can also see the need for personal (and property, I suppose) protection if you're a medical marijuana patient. What are your thoughts guys?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by snowcake View Post
    Oregon Supreme Court: Medical pot users can have guns - Koinlocal6.com

It's illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana, so I don't know if it's a good idea to carry while under the influence. The only difference is that you carry a card saying that you can be legally stoned while behind the wheel.
    Unless I missed something you still can't drive under the influence. The card is a permission slip to be in possession of pot. As far as the ruling I am all for it. Keep the federal government out of everything we can and let the states decide. Kinda like the founding fathers wanted.
    OldDogg likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop from the feds. I'm sure other states are watching.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Anybody ever heard about pot-crazed maniacs with firearms doing anything inappropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Unless I missed something you still can't drive under the influence. The card is a permission slip to be in possession of pot. As far as the ruling I am all for it. Keep the federal government out of everything we can and let the states decide. Kinda like the founding fathers wanted.
    I would tend to agree with you there suntzu. I am not familiar with Oregon's medical marijuana laws, but the more I think about it, it seems obvious that one would not be able to drive while under the influence. Makes sense, duh. :)

Some people have problems reading and comprehending it seems. I have been on pain meds for years. Should I be prohibited from possessing a firearm?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Some people have problems reading and comprehending it seems. I have been on pain meds for years. Should I be prohibited from possessing a firearm?

Michael
    Are you stoned LOL. Who said anything about prohibiting you from possessing a firearm? If it makes you feel better you can keep yours. We are talking about legal pot, not your pain meds. We were talking about driving, not firearms. So sir, you tell me how you connected the two. Who has the problems reading and comprehending? Don't try to read into what I said. It was pretty darn straight forward. The ruling is allowing folks to have legal pot and a firearm or did you miss that part also, which I agree with? Good grief....sometimes I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I think it is funny how in the part you clipped in your post "firearm" isn't mentioned.

I don't believe in the drug war at all, period. The Constitution grants no power to the federal government to tell you what you can and cannot put into your own body. If a state is going to allow it there should not be any accompanying punishment (like no guns for you) to try and "make up" for it. Furthermore, this would be following the same logic as telling people with alcoholic beverages in their home that they can't have guns there too. From both a natural law perspective, and practically speaking, there is no justification to tell someone who uses medical marijuana that they just forfeited one of their civil liberties in exchange. So naturally, I am all for this ruling.
    Anubis likes this.

Are you stoned LOL. Who said anything about prohibiting you from possessing a firearm? If it makes you feel better you can keep yours. We are talking about legal pot, not your pain meds. We were talking about driving, not firearms. So sir, you tell me how you connected the two. Who has the problems reading and comprehending? Don't try to read into what I said. It was pretty darn straight forward. The ruling is allowing folks to have legal pot and a firearm or did you miss that part also, which I agree with? Good grief....sometimes I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I think it is funny how in the part you clipped in your post "firearm" isn't mentioned.
    Actually I thought I was agreeing with the point you made in your post. That the ruling changes nothing regarding being under the influence. Nothing in the ruling says you may now use a weapon while stoned.
    Maybe I was guilty of not comprehending your meaning myself.

EDIT: Oh, as far as connecting pain meds with medical marijuana. Both are sometimes prescribed for the same reason. To alleviate pain. Both can cause a person to become "high" or under the influence.

Michael
    OldDogg likes this.

Actually I thought I was agreeing with the point you made in your post. That the ruling changes nothing regarding being under the influence. Nothing in the ruling says you may now use a weapon while stoned.
    Maybe I was guilty of not comprehending your meaning myself.

EDIT: Oh, as far as connecting pain meds with medical marijuana. Both are sometimes prescribed for the same reason. To alleviate pain. Both can cause a person to become "high" or under the influence.

Michael
    OK, sorry about that. From the SNIP you took of my reply to the OP it sounded like I needed the remedial reading comprehension LOL Maybe the use of more emoticons will help LOL

OK, sorry about that. From the SNIP you took of my reply to the OP it sounded like I needed the remedial reading comprehension LOL

Maybe the use of more emoticons will help LOL
    Mo problem maybe its my pain meds causing my failure to properly convey my point.

Mo problem maybe its my pain meds causing my failure to properly convey my point.
    I was going to mention that the first time when you thought I was an idiot LOL

Michigan Medical Marijuana and CPL

I must renew my CPL in a few months and I just bought a new Glock 22 4th gen handgun, I have 3 guns now. I signed the paperwork which asked me if I use "illegal" marijuana. I was approved for MM about 2yrs ago but seldom use it as it really doesn't help relieve my pain. I answered NO to the question as I use legal MM. A fine line I'm sure but I wonder if they will deny my CPL now. I could stop the MM card as it really means nothing to me but I can't stand the government telling me that they don't like my prescription so we will take away your CPL. Has anyone in Michigan been turned down for a CPL renewal because of MM? Thanks for any info.

Links