The dangers behind not exercising a right....(long)

This is a discussion on The dangers behind not exercising a right....(long) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We've heard it before about our 2A rights: "A right un-exercised is a right lost.." "First you allow "reasonable restrictions"... then then next thing you ...

Thread: The dangers behind not exercising a right....(long)

The dangers behind not exercising a right....(long)

We've heard it before about our 2A rights:
    "A right un-exercised is a right lost.."
    "First you allow "reasonable restrictions"... then then next thing you know, you have no right left"
    "They whittle away at gun rights"

Some say: "Nah, that's not how it works... you're being paranoid..."

Maybe so... Maybe it's worse than that... Maybe after they've taken your gun rights with all sorts of "reasonable restrictions" they'll start restricting other rights too... I mean, we all know that freedom of speech shouldn't include the right to yell "Fire!" in a movie theater, right? (That sure seems reasonable, doesn't it? People can get hurt if they panic in a theater?)

What if we put, say, "reasonable restrictions" on your fifth amendment right? You know the one, You've heard it on every Lawyer show on TV and even some real honest-to-goodness U.S. Congressional hearings... " I refuse to answer on the grounds I may incriminate myself." and "I plead the fifth." Or simply, after a couple of iterations, "Fifth."

Never happen, riiiight? NOT in the US of A. Well, IT IS happening Down Under. No, really.

They've already got super strict gun laws and registration of each weapon. They've seen an uptick in purchasing legal weapons... And, at the same time, they're seeing an increase in drive-by shootings by gangs with illegal weapons.

While the government and the anti gunners are trying to associate the drive-by-shootings with the legal guns in the press (which, just like here, they can't really prove)... The Government is also suggesting that they ought to maybe "restrict" the "right of silence."

Here's how they'd like it to work (quoting from the second article I've linked below):
    ....while they have a right to remain silent, they also have a duty to tell police information that may clear them of the offence,... Failure to do so would allow the court to draw an inference of guilt
    Couldn't happen here though.... uhhhhh... could it?

Here are the two articles from the Telegraph in Australia. Guys, the Aussies are as smart, independent, and proud of their country and their rights as we are... It could happen here if we aren't diligent.

Story one: Trigger happy shooters' gun buying spree

Story two: POLICE want to restrict a suspect's historic right to silence
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

The strong "left" is always chipping away at any "right" that becomes weak from lack of regular exercise and apathetic support.

Maybe my tinfoil hat's on a little too tight today... Or maybe since it happens on the other side of the world, most aren't worried or concerned that it could ever happen here... And maybe it couldn't.

I am glad for the change in the tide to shall issue nationwide... But these things ebb and flow... right now, I'm happy to ride the wave... But if it ever does change here, that rocky shore makes for a heck of a wipeout.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

mel
    If you don't use it, you lose it.

oakchase maybe I'm dense but what does the series of symbols in your signature mean?

I don't know why this is surprising, the UK has already abolished double jeopardy for some crimes. Making silence infer guilt is just one more nail in the coffin for the rights of Englishmen.

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    I don't know why this is surprising, the UK has already abolished double jeopardy for some crimes. Making silence infer guilt is just one more nail in the coffin for the rights of Englishmen.
    We've "abolished" double jeopardy for crimes as well...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Links