My NICS denial is overturned.. ish? I'm confused.

This is a discussion on My NICS denial is overturned.. ish? I'm confused. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay guys, I'm a little confused and maybe y'all can help. (Yes, I plan on calling NICS's customer service in the morning, but I just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My NICS denial is overturned.. ish? I'm confused.

My NICS denial is overturned.. ish? I'm confused.

Okay guys, I'm a little confused and maybe y'all can help. (Yes, I plan on calling NICS's customer service in the morning, but I just came home from work and after waiting nearly six months for this letter, I'm more than a little hyper right now.)
    I attempted to purchase my first gun back in June. Was denied for being a fugitive from justice, found out about a traffic citation from 7 years ago from another state. Paid the warrant, attempted to file the appeal online but was told I needed to send fingerprints as well. So I did.

Here's the letter I got today.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This letter is in response to your inquiry concerning your denial to purchase or redeem a firearm. The fingerprints you submitted cannot be compared with the record used in the evaluation of your firearm purchase or pawn redemption. The record used for the denial is not fingerprint based. Your fingerprint card is being returned. The material you submitted is insufficient to overturn your denial to purchase or redeem a firearm for the above-referenced transaction.
    At the time this transaction was initiated on June 28, 2011, blah blah I had an open warrant and was denied.
    However the Appeal Services Team ...has been able to verify ... that the warrant was canceled on July 5, 2011. Since the original prohibiting criterion has been resolved, you are not prohibited from subsequent attempts to purchase or redeem a firearm. For subsequent NICS transactions, a complete background check will be conducted to ensure your eligibility to purchase or redeem a firearm.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Given that I have never been arrested, processed, or in printed for any official reason, I'm not the least surprised that my prints weren't helpful to them. (Which is I why I didn't initially think to send them, because huh?)
    I guess the receipt showing I had paid the fine for the warrant was insufficient proof as well, but it got them to call Tucumcari PD and learn I'd paid the fine?
    But basically if I'm understanding this correctly, I'll need the gun shop to run a new NICS check on me and I should be good to go?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by juliandelph View Post
    Okay guys, I'm a little confused and maybe y'all can help. (Yes, I plan on calling NICS's customer service in the morning, but I just came home from work and after waiting nearly six months for this letter, I'm more than a little hyper right now.)
    I attempted to purchase my first gun back in June. Was denied for being a fugitive from justice, found out about a traffic citation from 7 years ago from another state. Paid the warrant, attempted to file the appeal online but was told I needed to send fingerprints as well. So I did.

Here's the letter I got today.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This letter is in response to your inquiry concerning your denial to purchase or redeem a firearm. The fingerprints you submitted cannot be compared with the record used in the evaluation of your firearm purchase or pawn redemption. The record used for the denial is not fingerprint based. Your fingerprint card is being returned. The material you submitted is insufficient to overturn your denial to purchase or redeem a firearm for the above-referenced transaction.
    At the time this transaction was initiated on June 28, 2011, blah blah I had an open warrant and was denied.
    However the Appeal Services Team ...has been able to verify ... that the warrant was canceled on July 5, 2011. Since the original prohibiting criterion has been resolved, you are not prohibited from subsequent attempts to purchase or redeem a firearm. For subsequent NICS transactions, a complete background check will be conducted to ensure your eligibility to purchase or redeem a firearm.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Given that I have never been arrested, processed, or in printed for any official reason, I'm not the least surprised that my prints weren't helpful to them. (Which is I why I didn't initially think to send them, because huh?)
    I guess the receipt showing I had paid the fine for the warrant was insufficient proof as well, but it got them to call Tucumcari PD and learn I'd paid the fine?
    But basically if I'm understanding this correctly, I'll need the gun shop to run a new NICS check on me and I should be good to go?
    In short, yes. They'll just run a new one and you should get through the system next time.

How does one go about forgetting to pay a traffic citation?
    OldVet likes this.

Should be ok from this point on, unless you get another infraction that does not get taken care of which could start this process all over again.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Nilloc View Post
    During a cross-country road trip, I was stopped for speeding. LEO did not ask for insurance. I had it, but he didn't ask. (I was a young driver at the time, and too flustered to register this.) He handed me a citation for speeding. I mailed them the check, and know my bank processed it.
    Fast forward seven years and I have a warrant out for me for "failure to provide proof of insurance" from the same day, same town.

I could probably have fought it, but the insurance at that time was in my parent's name, and the car I was driving was totaled a few years later. Seemed easiest to just pay the warrant.

It sounds like officer error. The officer that stopped the OP failed to gather all of the information. To cover their butt, they issued the warrant. You sometimes wonder how often things like this happen.
    Hopyard and hogdaddy like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilloc View Post
    In short, yes. They'll just run a new one and you should get through the system next time.

I got a ticket in SC by the Ridgeland PD without even getting pulled over. I had no knowledge that I even got a ticket or that it was late. I tried to do something and it came back I had a warrant for not paying a ticket from before I deployed last. I called them up and faxed them my information and they deleted it right there. For me being in the military and having my drivers license and license plate registered in Michigan, that is where they sent the paperwork.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Funny you should mention Ridgeland PD. This small town pd is notorious for running radar on it's small stretch of jurisdiction on I-95. On my way back from bike week every year it's not uncommon to see five-six cars at a time pulled over. I always dial it back through there, but I always see furious post around the web about this department. Sorry for the hi-jack.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

I received a legal notice by mail 5 years ago from NYPD Parking authority, seems the meter maid screwed up writing a plate number down. I had to pay a $95.00 ticket or travel to NYC and go before a judge! I paid the ticket by mail and saved the check in case they claimed something else.. As a side note, I was out of country at the time. I mailed my boarding pass etc to the parking authority and the sobs still took the word of the meter maid!!

Sponsor
    Sounds like you should be good to go now.

I had a similar issue from just before I moved out of El Paso. I got stopped on my bike for no eye protection. I went half a block from my apartment to the 7-11 and should have just walked but rode for for some reason. When I got to the 7-11 I realized that I had left my wallet on the dresser...back home to get the wallet and got snagged for no eye pro, no insurance, no DL and several other stupid mini violations. I mailed the check and went to the court house to provide proof of insurance. Somehow the fact that I did show proof of insurance never got documented and a bench warrant was issued. Years later when undergoing a SBI for a security clearance upgrade, this warrant rears it's ugly head. It only took a few phone calls to clear up but it just shows that the little stuff can't be taken for granted.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Hey? You still here?
    Go get that gun and report back.
    phreddy likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, that answers my question. Apparently things like this happen fairly frequently.

It reminds me of the time I parked in a private parking lot down in Madison. It's a parking lot where you need a permit. The people who were paying for the spot were gone the weekend I was there. Someone apparently called in that a non-permitted vehicle was there (even though I had permission to use the spot) and got a $40 parking ticket mailed to me. No ticket was on placed on my vehicle so I had no idea there was a "problem" I had to deal with.

However, I could contest it in person. Living 180 or so miles to the north, I could not justify fighting it when the cost in gas and time would greatly exceed that ticket. Even back then at a little over $2 per gallon of gas.

I'd have been issued a warrant had the ticket not been sent to my correct address. I'd forgotten about that incident.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Sounds to me like you just have to start the process of buying all over again.

***This is not legal advice and should not be construed as such***
    Last edited by Chad Rogers; January 22nd, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Thanks for the stories guys. It never even occurred to me that it could have been officer error.
    I went to the gun shop today and they said they had sold "my" gun (despite my paying in full at the time of purchase), so they're ordering me a new one. When it gets in, I'll fill out the same paperwork as before and do another NICS check, and that should be the end of it.
    Side note: I took my CHL class today, passed, and now just need to get printed. Yay for constitutional rights!

Hopefully everything will get straightened out when you make sure the legal slate is cleaned (by whatever means is necessary) and start over. Many folks are completely unaware of just how easy it is to suddenly end up with a warrant issued against them when there was never any wrongdoing (or even knowledge of such) on their part.

Almost had a warrant out for me a few years ago when the last ex-wife (two years after our divorce) had been tagged four times by "red light cams" in another state she was living in for a few months and never paid the fines when the citations were mailed to the address she had listed on the annual vehicle registration. Since the car was originally titled under both our names and she had never bothered taking the divorce decree in to change the registration into her name only, they looked me up as "co-owner" and sent a notice of impending warrant if I didn't pay "my" citations. If I hadn't been living at the same address listed on the original registration and not received that notice, I couldn't have sent them a copy of the divorce decree and ended up with an unknown warrant out for my arrest as a result.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I get cleared for government clearances quite regularly. That is how know I am clear of warrants and criminal figitiveness haha.

Good luck in your quest. Our laws are overbearing and our jails are overfull all in the name of the dollar. We have the most incarcerated population in the world because of money. Just pay the money and walk away is how I look at unless you truly are innocent or being a victim of a legal official/offices crime against you.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links