Could it be genetic?

Could it be genetic?

This is a discussion on Could it be genetic? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems the way we "see" things, or rather, more like what we "focus on" more could be genetic. An interesting article. Political Divisions Between ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By 4my sons
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 5 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By Eaglebeak
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Could it be genetic?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Could it be genetic?

It seems the way we "see" things, or rather, more like what we "focus on" more could be genetic. An interesting article.

Political Divisions Between Conservatives, Liberals Mirror Reactions To Negative Stimuli

An interesting quote"
    Conservatives pay more attention to negative stimuli compared with liberals, the study found.

"They're essentially monitoring things that make them feel uncomfortable, which does feel fairly consistent with conservative policies, actually," study researcher Mike Dodd, a psychologist at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, told LiveScience. "They tend to confront things head-on that they view as threats, things like immigration and so on."

If it truly is genetic, could there be a "cure" for being Anti.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Maybe evolution will just takes its course. Time has a wonderful way of taking care of "matters".

Despite the weird research taking place here, a sample of 48 or so adults is just about enough to qualify one for additional grants. I think that is the real goal here, to be honest. That, and getting "space" in the "Post".
    Eaglebeak and Guest1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    It seems the way we "see" things, or rather, more like what we "focus on" more could be genetic. An interesting article.

Political Divisions Between Conservatives, Liberals Mirror Reactions To Negative Stimuli

An interesting quote"

Conservatives pay more attention to negative stimuli compared with liberals, the study found.

"They're essentially monitoring things that make them feel uncomfortable, which does feel fairly consistent with conservative policies, actually," study researcher Mike Dodd, a psychologist at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, told LiveScience. "They tend to confront things head-on that they view as threats, things like immigration and so on."

If it truly is genetic, could there be a "cure" for being Anti.
    So, based on your quote (and other observations in the article):

A liberal sees three guys with baseball bats approaching him and thinks they're looking for a pick up game (in the dead of winter with 6 inches of snow on the ground, and sub zero windchills being the reason they're wearing hoodies and ski masks).

A conservative sees three guys with baseball bats, ski masks, and hoodies approaching him and gets his hand on his weapon, because they might be up to no good (even in the dead of winter with 6 inches of snow on the ground, and sub zero windchills).

OR

A conservative sees a news article about three thugs that brained a guy with a baseball bat and he shot two of them and thinks it's a little sad that the old guy didn't shoot the third.

A liberal reads the same article and wonders what the home life of those poor boys must have been like.

So

A conservative is a realistic pragmatist (who may wish things were not so bad out there, but knows they are).

And

A liberal is a dreamer who thinks this really is utopia, with the exception of a few bad actors, and there are reasons for the bad actors actions that must be fixed (by throwing money at "the problem").

okay, I think I got it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    --^---a liberal is a consecrative who hasn't been mugged yet
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

An unknown author posted a humorous account regarding the history of mankind that seems to lend credibility to the link's test results that seem to indicate the differing viewpoints between conservatives and liberals is, in fact, an evolutionary process with distinct genetic differences.............

A History Lesson

Humans originally existed as members of small bands of nomadic hunters/gatherers. They lived on deer in the mountains during the summer and would go to the coast and live on fish and lobster in the winter.

The two most important events in all of history were the invention of beer and the invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the beer. These were the foundation of modern civilization and together were the catalyst for the splitting of humanity into two distinct subgroups:

1. Liberals
    2. Conservatives.

Once beer was discovered, it required grain and that was the beginning of agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so while our early humans were sitting around waiting for them to be invented, they just stayed close to the brewery. That's how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking and killing animals to B-B-Q at night while they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as the Conservative movement.

Other men who were weaker and less skilled at hunting learned to live off the conservatives by showing up for the nightly B-B-Q's and doing the sewing, fetching, and hair dressing. This was the beginning of the Liberal movement.

Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women. The rest became known as girliemen.

Some noteworthy liberal achievements include the domestication of cats, the invention of group therapy, group hugs, and the concept of Democratic voting to decide how to divide the meat and beer that conservatives provided.

Over the years conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most powerful land animal on earth, the elephant. Liberals are symbolized by the jackass.

Modern liberals like imported beer (with lime added), but most prefer white wine or imported bottled water. They eat raw fish but like their beef well done. Sushi, tofu, and French food are standard liberal fare.

Another interesting evolutionary side note: most of their women have higher testosterone levels than their men. Most social workers, personal injury attorneys, journalists, dreamers in Hollywood and group therapists are liberals. Liberals invented the designated hitter rule because it wasn't fair to make the pitcher also bat.

Conservatives drink domestic beer. They eat red meat and still provide for their women. Conservatives are big-game hunters, rodeo cowboys, lumberjacks, construction workers, firemen, medical doctors, police officers, corporate executives, athletes, Marines, and generally anyone who works productively. Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work for a living.

Liberals produce little or nothing. They like to govern the producers and decide what to do with the production. Liberals believe Europeans are more enlightened than Americans. That is why most of the liberals remained in Europe when conservatives were coming to America. They crept in after the Wild West was tamed and created a business of trying to get more for nothing.

Here ends today's lesson in world history: It should be noted that a Liberal may have a momentary urge to angrily respond to the above. A Conservative will simply laugh and be so convinced of the absolute truth of this history that it will be forwarded immediately to other true believers and to more liberals just to ruffle their feathers.

hbc
    "Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women. The rest became known as girliemen." LOL

"....which does feel fairly consistent with conservative policies, ..." Wow, now that's a scientific statement if I've ever heard one. Wonder what test he ran for the "feel" factor. Sounds like Mr. Dodd, the psychologist in question needs to do some more studies to back up his "feelings".

Ok this made my day!!!! Now stolen and on my facebook page. Hope to ruffle some liberal feathers. Too good. Thanks
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Administrator
    Please continue to keep it general & Liberal/Conservative & Political Non-Specific.
    If the thread migrates to Democan Republicrat then it will need to be closed as per the DC Forum rules.
    Thanks.

Rule #9
    We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The difference between a Liberal and a Conservative.

You are 100 feet out in a lake and having trouble staying afloat. There is 100 feet of good solid rope on the shore of the lake.

Along comes a Conservative and observes you and the rope. Being a Conservative, he/she will toss you 50 feet of that rope and expect you to swim 50 feet to grab it.

If a Liberal comes along, he/she will toss you the entire 100 feet of rope and then run off to do more good deeds!

There you have it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Lots of things have been linked to human genetics. Most of these things are merely predispositions. The environment plays a key role or link in what occurs due to being predisposed. Throughout life all of us are exposed or experience many environments. The childhood environment is one of the most important......like the first charge on a NiCd battery. Later in life and into the adult environment, things are still important, but we can change or adapt to our environment more easily. Tragic events generally alter the environment in a traumatic way and also have the possibility of altering the predisposition as well. Valid reasons for being an anti-gun individual may stem from up-bringing, or from a bad experience at any point in their life concerning guns. Even though you and I know that this country's heritage is still intact for one basic reason (the second amendment), others won't accept it even though they enjoy being free to enjoy life each day with their freedom of speech, and buying food they want instead of waiting in line for a government allotment, or plowing a garden to supply a whole town, or giving birth to their sons solely to serve in the military at the age of 14.
    IMO....only a couple good reasons I could accept for someone being "anti". Anyone that tells you there are plenty of good reasons for being "anti" is either running for office, in the process of renouncing their citizenship, or is just taking you for a fool. This country was built by those who would take up arms. This country exists to this day by those willing to take up arms. Countless millions have been saved across the globe from tyranny and genocide by those who would take up arms on their behalf. Guns can be used by bad people and guns can be used by good people. Most of us accept this as fact. The antis only see the bad, and they also think most of us are bad in order to keep thinking this way. In truth, we give the antis power they wouldn't have otherwise. I personally think we need to let them go on down the road in their own sorrow and forget about them and move on. I used to think conversion of an "anti" would be worthwhile. I've learned that I'm neither a doctor nor a cure. All I can do is support our American heritage and spread the word. Leave genetics up to the scientists who live in a different world than most of us. Hopefully they are working on curing diseases.

Links