George Washington Once Said - Page 2

George Washington Once Said

This is a discussion on George Washington Once Said within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You really can't judge a person from an isolated quote; which may not even be an accurate one. No citation was given by the OP. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: George Washington Once Said

VIP Member
    You really can't judge a person from an isolated quote; which may not even be an accurate one. No citation was given by the OP.

Washington appears to have been ideological pretty close to Hamilton, who effectively was the founder of The Federalists. Hamilton was in favor of a strong central government with an army independent from the states.

It is quite ironic that many who post here alternate between quoting Washington and quoting Jefferson; whichever suits their argument at any given moment. Or they quote Federalist writing when it suits and anti-Federalists and Jacksonian stuff when it suits.

Washington perhaps said what he is quoted to have said, though I am doubtful given both his adherence to Hamiltonian thoughts (the two were close) and his action during the whiskey rebellion.

And of course, in today's world the idea that personal arms can protect us from an overbearing government is fantasy.

One of the worst "theological" errors made in support of gun owner's rights is the linkage with an ability to rebel. It makes us look like nuts.

OP--- what is your source?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    And of course, in today's world the idea that personal arms can protect us from an overbearing government is fantasy.

One of the worst "theological" errors made in support of gun owner's rights is the linkage with an ability to rebel. It makes us look like nuts.

OP--- what is your source?
    If overwhelming technology was all it took to keep a country in line Iraq would have been over within a few months, and Afghanistan would be a fading memory. Vietnam would have been a smashing success as well. If you actually read the Federalist Papers, Hamilton in particular brings up firearms as a defense against federal tyranny numerous times. There is a great deal of philosophical basis to say that the founders did indeed view arms as a means of defending against tyranny, and to declare such a notion obsolete now is to completely ignore a great deal of evidence to the contrary. Of course, firearms alone won't do it, but when they are in the hands of a critical mass of fed up people the story is quite different, advanced military technology or not.

It was found on Facebook. It sounds good to me, so I reposted it here. Who knows if he "actually" said it or not. Neither you nor I was there. What are we going to start doing, "snopes.com" checking everything everyone posts on here now?

Lots of quotes are put on here daily. A lot of people have quotes in their signatures. Are you going to challenge every one of them to know the source? My source is Facebook. Take it for what its worth to "you".

I like the saying whether it is accurate or not. Apparently there are others here that like it, whether it was ever said or not. There are so many quotes floating around the internet, no one knows which ones are true, false, made up, or for real.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Ok, so I looked it up. Guess I should have done that in the first place, but... still. I like what it said. Too bad he really didn't say it.

http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html
    Hopyard likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    From his "First Annual Report to Congress" speech.

The link
    First Annual Message to Congress by George Washington

A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end, a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies.
    The sentiment might be close, but definitely modified for the "Wow" factor.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It is quite ironic that many who post here alternate between quoting Washington and quoting Jefferson; whichever suits their argument at any given moment. Or they quote Federalist writing when it suits and anti-Federalists and Jacksonian stuff when it suits.
    Wasn't it the combination of the ideas of these two factions what made our country great?

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Who cares about his slaves........Jefferson freed none also and he authored the big document.....So what.
    They were great men in their own right......most self educated and wise.

Why does everything have to revert back to Political Correctness..........grow up you pantywaists.
    You must be one of those deep south "boys" and I do mean boys who think slavery was OK..... political correctness has NOTHING to do with OWNING other humans. Expand your mind.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Wasn't it the combination of the ideas of these two factions what made our country great?
    Well, yes and no. Aren't we still fighting about it? At least the fight these days is between Fox and MSNBC; no duels between Hamilton and Burr.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Facebook is not a source!!! Never will be. I do wish Geo. had said it, but as you can see from the real quote, the Facebook "source" is quite a stretch.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    From his "First Annual Report to Congress" speech.

The link
    First Annual Message to Congress by George Washington

The sentiment might be close, but definitely modified for the "Wow" factor.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end, a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies. "

I put in bold something which has nothing to do with guns, and everything to do with national defense (and our economy).

Much of Washington's writing is prescient, and still applicable.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Ok, so I looked it up. Guess I should have done that in the first place, but... still. I like what it said. Too bad he really didn't say it.

http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html
    Good job. Thanks.
    Andrew Jackson

What a great, interesting and educational discussion. Thanks guys
    (2Co 11:3 KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Clone..............anyone ?
    How 'bout Barbara Bush............they could pass for twins.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links