Convicted felon? Want to carry a gun? Get elected sheriff.

This is a discussion on Convicted felon? Want to carry a gun? Get elected sheriff. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Convicted felon runs for sheriff in WV - Law Enforcement News ** February 01, 2012 Convicted felon runs for sheriff in WV Jerry Weaver is ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By tangoseal
  • 4 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By paramedic70002
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn

Thread: Convicted felon? Want to carry a gun? Get elected sheriff.

VIP Member

Lightbulb Convicted felon? Want to carry a gun? Get elected sheriff.

Convicted felon runs for sheriff in WV - Law Enforcement News

February 01, 2012

Convicted felon runs for sheriff in WV
    Jerry Weaver is on ballot after serving time for buying votes

By Zack Harold
    Charleston Daily Mail

CHARLESTON, W.V.

SNIP

Weaver, 62, of Hamlin, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to buy votes in 2005, landing him in federal prison for a year. He is now running for sheriff.

SNIP

And, while he is a convicted felon, Weaver could carry a firearm while on the job.

According to U.S. Code, felon gun restrictions don't apply to the "transportation, shipment, receipt, possession or importation" of guns or ammunition for use by the United States, any department or agency of the federal government, any state or any subdivision of a state.

SNIP

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I see no issue with this if he served his punishment and paid his due to society as the Judge and Jury determined after trial.

I am sick at the fact that non-violent citizens who are charged with a felony lose their privilege to vote and their right to self defense. After all it is the same crony law makers who determine what a felony is. Truly violent felonies are a different matter and depending on the nature of that violence they should have a voice and a right to at least be screened by a panel for regaining privilege and right after serving their payment to society. I will not pick a certain crime because that is a tangent for another discussion.

Just my 2cents of an opinion. If the sheriff candidate has true remorse for his crime against our citizens then he should be allowed to regain his right and privilege but he SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED public office again. That I highly disagree with in any case concerning criminal politics.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    I am sick at the fact that non-violent citizens who are charged with a felony lose their privilege to vote and their right to self defense.
    I'll disagree.

Let's pretend for a moment that Bernie Madoff - who was convicted of stealing a minimum of $18 billion from his clients - was released on parole or had completed his sentence. His felonies were absolutely non-violent. But there is no way this scum, who ruined thousands of lives, should ever be allowed to vote or to enjoy the privilege of firearms ownership for defense or any reason. Same for drug dealers who simply execute "business transactions" without violence.

We could discuss which crimes qualify as felonies, but fundamentally, if you are convicted of a crime that carries a sentence of more than a year in jail, I firmly believe that part of the punishment includes the surrender of certain civil rights.
    wmhawth, kb2wji, NY27 and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    I dont see how that's gonna work.

Most people that get elected as a Sheriff have to attend some sort of LEO academy in order to get certified.Usally they have a year to do so.

To go to an LEO academy, one must pass a background check, which he wont pass as a convicted felon.

Most state laws prevent convicted felons from carrying guns, or even holding a public office.

With that being said, RUNNING for Sheriff is a far cry from being elected as Sheriff and its more than likely that it wont be an issue unless he does get elected...if its even possible to do so in that state.

So, we shall see.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Felons can petition to have their voting and gun rights restored. It is dealt with on a case by case basis.

As far as I'm concerned, if you go through the process and are successful, more power to ya. If your petition is rejected, then I believe you have to play by the rules.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I've never heard of a Sheriff getting un-elected if he failed to complete Sheriff training. An election is an election unless there's a resignation, recall or death, at least in VA.
    MisterFleas and DaveH like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    He might not get unelected but he would not meet the criteria for using the NCIC database or even the State database.
    He would be Sheriff in name only, he wouldnt be able to do much legally.
    Of course, if he had qualified people that worked for him, it might not matter much.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

quote from the article "If Weaver were elected sheriff, his deputies would be considered his employees and, therefore, could not carry weapons."

So if he gets elected he would render his whole department useless under WV law. How stupid can people be to even let him run in the first place?

Remember Marion Barry?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I've never heard of a Sheriff getting un-elected if he failed to complete Sheriff training. An election is an election unless there's a resignation, recall or death, at least in VA.
    Yup. There are/have been Sheriffs who never completed an academy program.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'll disagree.

Let's pretend for a moment that Bernie Madoff - who was convicted of stealing a minimum of $18 billion from his clients - was released on parole or had completed his sentence. His felonies were absolutely non-violent. But there is no way this scum, who ruined thousands of lives, should ever be allowed to vote or to enjoy the privilege of firearms ownership for defense or any reason. Same for drug dealers who simply execute "business transactions" without violence.

We could discuss which crimes qualify as felonies, but fundamentally, if you are convicted of a crime that carries a sentence of more than a year in jail, I firmly believe that part of the punishment includes the surrender of certain civil rights.
    And your very own US government is Angelic and Godlike in everything they do, yet the Citizens of this country are completely ruined for life for a non violent felony..... I think you are living under a Vail of Lies or you believe in double standards.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Sometimes people do things out of desperation and as a result break the "Law of the land"some offenses are misdemeanors and some are felonies,I believe it comes down to the nature of the crime,any previous convictions,and if the person has changed and become a responsible productive member of society.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

So he gets accused, convicted and sentenced for ELECTION FRAUD............and is running for OFFICE? Has he no shame? That takes some steel, even in WV By God. I for one, hope his constituents show him the door immediately.

Well folks, NEVER underestimate the power of the West Virginia voter. They will put people into office that absolutely have no business whatsoever of being there.

Case in point. Back in the 1990's, my county, Cabell, had a Sheriff that died of pancreatic cancer while in office. He was on the ballot for re-election and when his death occured, it was too late to remove him from the ballot. He got re-elected and was dead. The County Commission had to appoint one and they picked a 90 year old former Sheriff to replace the newly-elected deceased one. Got us on the front page of the Enquirer.

We also have a Mason Co. Sheriff now who is in a vat of hot water over misuse of county vehicles, getting drunk and shooting over the head of a youth. The County Commission is wanting to remove him from office, yet, he is back to work and put his name on the ballot for the primary to get the nomination to run for Sheriff. He also "demoted" his Chief Deputy over this "scandal" because he would not back the tainted Sheriff.

Weaver has a good chance of getting voted in as Sheriff of Lincoln Co. WV, it's the mentality of the voters to vote ONE party only, no matter how bad the candidate is or what he/she has done or is convicted of. Or dead for that matter.

I know. I work the polls and it amazes me why and how people vote. Many of those same people might also be packing guns too!
    DaveH likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Links