Special treatment for retired Commonwealth Attorneys

This is a discussion on Special treatment for retired Commonwealth Attorneys within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; [Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL] [First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL] ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveH
  • 2 Post By mlr1m
  • 2 Post By sdprof
  • 2 Post By dugo

Thread: Special treatment for retired Commonwealth Attorneys

VIP Member

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL]

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

ACTION ITEM

Tonight Delegate Scott Lingamfelter's bill HB 929 passed out of subcommittee. VCDL opposes this bill because it lets RETIRED Commonwealth Attorneys carry concealed handguns everywhere they go, including places that a concealed handgun permit holder can't carry, such as on K-12 school grounds! Also their names, addresses and other personal information can't be given out by a Circuit Court Clerk like it can for a CHP holder.

HB 929 creates an unacceptable double standard. Lawyers who retire from the Commonwealth, and who have no firearms training, are given extraordinary concealed carry privileges, that are denied to CHP holders who have had firearms training!

The government loves to arm itself while denying the same level of protection to the citizens it is supposed to be serving.

I, for one, am tired of it.

It's not that we want retired Commonwealth Attorneys disarmed. Quite the contrary, they absolutely should be allowed to carry a gun for self-defense and a CHP will do the job nicely. Their lives are not less valuable than your life or mine, BUT their lives are also NOT MORE valuable than your life or mine.

Delegate Lingamfelter is usually good on guns, but this bill is simply wrong.

Let's tell our Delegates to OPPOSE HB 929. Click on the link below:

VCDL's "Write Your Legislators" Tool

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
    QKShooter likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

How will this work? Will they be issued some kind of badge to carry?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member

Updated

I don't know.

I suspect some sort of ID card, or maybe the fact they were retired CAs would be loaded SP data-base in the field that shows CHP, active LEO, wants & warrants, etc when LEO do a check of DL.

I'll do some checking and see what I can find out.

-----

Did some checking.

The attorney for the subcommittee inferred that some that sort of card would be issued even though they would be exempted from the application process but was vague as to the details.
    Last edited by DaveH; February 3rd, 2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: follow-up on question
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Done! Thanks Dave!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

DC
    I couldn't believe this one when I got the email.

You bet I sent that email out.

Why wouldnt a retired "commonwealth" court officer (read lawyer here) get the same privilage as law enforcement in the jurisdiction regarding CC ??..probably would be a good idea to run these worthys thru the "commonwealth" police weapons training as a prerequesite to LE like armed status...AS IF a retired AG wouldnt get all the rythm they needed for whatEVER.... .02

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    Why wouldnt a retired "commonwealth" court officer (read lawyer here) get the same privilage as law enforcement in the jurisdiction regarding CC ??..probably would be a good idea to run these worthys thru the "commonwealth" police weapons training as a prerequesite to LE like armed status...AS IF a retired AG wouldnt get all the rythm they needed for whatEVER.... .02
    Couldn't agree more!

See my earlier comment #3 at Legislative Update 2/3/12 - mixed news
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Remember Animal Farm: All animals are created equal. Some are just a little more equal than others.

This seems like it's cut from the same cloth as the proposed bill in CA last year to let congress members, state assembly members and some other officials be automatically deemed to have met the "need" requirement to get a CA CCW permit.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Biggest secret in the District of Columbia...what elected US representitive officials have special US marshall permits so they can "defensive carry" in the jurisdiction...every once in a while news of this perkolates to the surface...kinda like the gay congress men that "bash" and pose anti-gay of late... .02

This is why IO have always been against any special laws that allow the government to award a chosen few special rights. I was against it when it only applied to police as well.
    The rules and laws should apply equally to everyone.

Michael
    DaveH and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    Biggest secret in the District of Columbia...what elected US representitive officials have special US marshall permits so they can "defensive carry" in the jurisdiction...every once in a while news of this perkolates to the surface...kinda like the gay congress men that "bash" and pose anti-gay of late... .02
    Marshal Service may have "deputized" congresscritters in the past, but this memo from DOJ would seem to have put a stop to that.
    http://www.justice.gov/olc/depmar.htm
    CaptSmith and DaveH like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    Here is a thought - how about lifetime carry permits for former jury members? Seems fair if a former CA can have one. Just another example of those in authority thinking they are special somehow. The rules need to apply to everyone equally.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Here is a thought - how about lifetime carry permits for former jury members? Seems fair if a former CA can have one. Just another example of those in authority thinking they are special somehow. The rules need to apply to everyone equally.
    Sounds like a plan.

Dangerous convicted felons do threaten to get even with jury members, as well as Judges, prosecutors, etc.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Sounds like a plan.

Dangerous convicted felons do threaten to get even with jury members, as well as Judges, prosecutors, etc.
    Actually, I think prosecutors are usually thought of by defendants more as "a part of the machine" than as individuals. Because it is less personal with prosecutors, defendants do not regularly target them for revenge. There are some exceptions, of course, but outside of television, it is rare that prosecutors are targetted.

(Most likely targets are witnesses, who are both accessible and "personal". I believe it is defense attorneys next. A defendant has a face-to-face relationship with his/her lawyer, so a dissatisfied defendant may take it more personally with them. Even that is relatively rare, though. 'Course, police may be in a different space -- they can be "personal", but they may be thought of as more "dangerous" than others.)

While prosecutors may undergo some extensive background checks, there is no truly solid reason to think they are any more responsible with guns than "regular" folks who get carry permits; and, their "need" is not (usually) inflated to the point that they should have any special dispensation as a matter of course.

I like VCDL's position that rather than taking rights away from prosecutors, the state should give more to CCW holders. Should be equal.

BUT, even if prosecutors did need "special" priviledges by virtue of their public positions, beyond what "regular" CCW citizens have, then they should be responsibly trained -- AND to a higher standard than "regular" CCW citizens. If "extra" priviledges are needed, related to public positions, they should invoke corresponding "extra" responsibility. (Somevody said put 'em through police training. Sounds reasonable to me.)

AND, to think prosecutors somehow magically transcend the need for training, just because they are good behind a desk and can talk in court, is ivory-tower fantasy.

Basically, I agree, though, that this looks too "special". Former prosecutor, by the way. Doesn't mean I'm necessarily right, but I've got a perspective.

(All of this doesn't mean you don't feel like watching your back, of course. I was acquainted with one instance, and ... well ... you never know.)
    Last edited by dugo; February 29th, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
    sdprof and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Yup. Could be.

Links