More illegal gun purchases by reporters

This is a discussion on More illegal gun purchases by reporters within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 What? Please cite your source of your information. it does depend on state this is florida rules I know some states ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: More illegal gun purchases by reporters

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    What?

Please cite your source of your information.
    it does depend on state this is florida rules I know some states are still using 45 acp (police hand book)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    swmft - not to bust the chops of a new member/poster, but your ideas surrounding what constitutes a "police" vs. "bad guy" gun are...amazingly off base, in just about every way imaginable.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Let's play pick apart the anti second amendment propaganda in the news!

A veritable treasure trove of unbiased reporting. :) Objective comments, smart aleck comments, pointing out factual inconsistencies are all appreciated.

unbiased video here - Rossen Reports: Anyone can buy guns, no questions asked - TODAY Rossen Reports - TODAY.com

unbiased link to website - Rossen Reports: Anyone can buy guns, no questions asked - TODAY Rossen Reports - TODAY.com

Closed captioning of: Loopholes in law make buying deadly weapons easyAdvertise | AdChoices>>> back now at 7:40, this morning we're kicking off a new series called "rossen reports." these stories come out of a new unit led by jeff rossen . we begin with a hidden camera investigation exposing how easy it is for anyone, even criminals, to buy guns. jeff, good morning.

>> good morning to you. and some say this is a major loophole in the law. at gun stores you have to get a background check before you can buy a weapon. but online , in most states, anyone from law-abiding citizens to dangerous criminals, even terrorists, can get just about any weapon they want, no questions asked. our investigation shows the deals going down in broad daylight in suburban mall parking lots . they are some of the most lethal weapons out there. and we were able to buy all of them in a single day. with no background checks , no questions asked. it's this easy. hundreds of thousands of guns for sale, on hundreds of websites. we responded, and set up meetings at popular shopping malls .

>> how much was it that we agreed on?

>> 500.

>> we bought everything. from this police-grade pistol. to this semi automatic assault rifle .

>> what if you went and shot somebody with it?

>> we did it over and over again. our buyer even hinting he's a criminal.

>> no paperwork, no background checks . probably couldn't pass the darn thing, anyway.

>> within hours we bought eight guns.

>> good god.

>> even this 50-caliber weapon, so powerful, it could take down a helicopter.

>> the people you just sold it to could be terrorists and you sold it no questions asked.

>> yeah.

>> remember, at a gun store , a background check is required. but online ? nothing. and believe it or not, in most states -- it's completely legal.

>> is this like a candy store for criminals?

>> it's a weapons bazaar for criminals.

>> nbc hired former ntf adviser to help with our investigation.

>> somebody even with a murder conviction can log on, email someone, meet them in a parking lot and buy an ak-47.

>> 34 people are murdered ever are i day in gun violence , with many of the weapons traced back to private sales just like these.

>> no one should have to die like that. these two women lost their best friend killed by a stalker. this canadian man who crossed into the u.s. bought a gun online in seattle and then shot her 11 times. as she got into her car.

>> no legitimate gun store would have sold this man a gun because he's not a u.s. citizen , he wouldn't have passed a background check . yet he was able to easily buy one online .

>> there's not a doubt in my mind, had this man not been able to buy a gun online , she would still be here.

>> what kind of dangerous weapons could we buy? to find out, we went online and responded to gun ads in phoenix, arizona. within minutes, we had meetings set up. our gun buyers, two arizona security experts we hired. posing as husband and wife. this man is about to sell us a tactical assault rifle. modified to use bullets for an ak-47.

>> come over here real quick and i'll give you the money.

>> we were watching from nearby vans as our buyers paid cash for the guns. no questions asked.

>> hi, jeff rossen with nbc news, you just sold an assault rifle to a couple of people who you have no idea who they are. or what they could do with that gun. they could go rob a bank or hurt somebody. does that ever weigh on you?

>> it does, it does, but at the same time i'm not going to be responsible for what they choose to do with it.

>> for our next meetings, we took it up a notch. telling the seller, point-blank, we probably can't pass a background check . will they still sell us the guns then? we're about to find out. this man is peddling a glock 23 . with hollow-point bullets, made to inflict serious internal damage.

>> we're not going to do any paperwork, no background checks , i probably couldn't pass it, anyway.

>> i shouldn't be selling it to you.

>> well anyway, i appreciate it.

>> we shake on it. he told you he couldn't pass a background checks , did that raise any red flags for you?

>> slightly, but in this economy, when you need the money, you need the money.

>> it's all about the cash. people could get hurt, doth that matter?

>> yes.

>> it didn't matter to you.

>> i need the money.

>> the twists and turns are just beginning. this seller shows up with a tactical shotgun and assault rifle and his 7-year-old son. remember, our buyers could be dangerous felons.

>> i appreciate the fact no paperwork, no background check . 'cuz i probably couldn't pass it anyway, man. now watch as he hands the cash to his boy. jeff rossen with nbc news. how are you?

>> i'm not interested in talking to you.

>> we're just doing a story about online gun sales. he said he couldn't pass a background check and you still sold him the weapon. but the most scary transaction of all came after dark, in this pharmacy parking lot . the online ad was for this 50-caliber sniper rifle . the most powerful gun legally sold in the u.s. bullet range? five miles, it can pierce armored vehicles , even bring down a helicopter.

>> this is set up.

>> but the seller is so laid back, you would think he's hawking a used bicycle.

>> enjoy it, i know you're going to like it.

>> once he got the cash, the gun was ours, no questions asked. but we had some for him. this is the gun of choice for the drug cartels worldwide this gun can take down a helicopter.

>> it can take anything. it's a 50-caliber, i understand.

>> you know how powerful this weapon is.

>> oh, yeah.

>> doesn't it concern you that you have no idea who these people are, they could be dangerous felons, terrorists.

>> i never thought about it, to be honest.

>> and it's happening nationwide. in new york, mayor michael bloomberg led another investigation, buying guns online in 14 states. even after their buyer said they couldn't pass a background check .

>> i don't know what it takes, how many people, who has to get murdered before congress is going to stand up and say enough of this?

>> so what's the government doing about did? it turns out there's a bill that would close this loophole. and require background checks for all gun sales. even online . but that bill has been sitting in committee for nearly a year.

>> maybe your report will motivate people to act.

>> new york senator, chuck schumer is sponsoring the bill.

>> with all due respect, as congress continues to debate this and play politics, authorities say criminals, dangerous criminals in many cases are buying guns online .

>> the nra is one of the most powerful lobbies in washington and despite the overwhelming evidence, that we should do something, which your report buttresses, the odds of us being able to do something are not high.

>> the nra says it opposes the bill because it has many serious flaws. but wouldn't comment about online gun sales. in the past, the nra has fought background checks for any private sales. but victims say, until the law is changed, more innocent people will die.

>> all they care about is profit. profit over lives. and it's wrong.

>> keep in mind, this is legal. and lots of people in this country support private gun sales without background checks . they say it's not about making money or profit, it's about their individual rights . as for the eight guns we bought, we turned them over to the phoenix police department , where matt, that police department will actually destroy them.

>> i mentioned going into the story, it's the first story coming out of this new unit that you've set up. what's the goal of the unit?

>> we know how important these stories are, investigative journalism is incredibly important. we want to focus on consumer investigations, the world of finance, politics, the sky's the limit. we want to do more of these and dig in with hidden camera investigations and whatever else.

>> we've got a website set up so people can get to you and give you story ideas?

>> today.com, it's called rossen reports, click on it and send us whatever ideas you have. nothing is too small.

>> jeff rossen , great story, thanks very much.

I loved the fact that the SKS showed in the video was modified to take the same round as the AK....
    l1a1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pappou68 View Post
    Amazing. I don't see why any law abiding citizen would oppose a background check. You need one for a CCW permit or license. Again, the moral majority are worried about individual rights. If it keeps BGs weapons purchases down, let them check all they want to. I also don't mind being scanned B4 a flight if it helps keep me safer in the air. Lets face it, the BGs don't care about laws or people's safety so why not really crack down on them. One word-@#$#$** lawyers that will defend anyone accused of anything for a buck. Enough already!
    Same reason the press would oppose a background check in order to get a license to publish an article. Or a minister would object to a background check and licensing to preach from a pulpit.

It's not just the "moral majority" (and exactly who are they, by the way?) who are "worried about individual rights," it's Free Americans. Here's a quiz for you: Do you believe that our Constitution serves to grant us certain rights, or does it put limits on the power of the Federal government? If you chose the former, you're in error and you need to go back to American History 101 and understand exactly what purpose the Constitution serves... starting with the context and political climate in which it was written.
    azchevy, Dadsnugun, SFury and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Saying one is a felon doesn't make one a felon, so selling a firearm to someone who legitmately isn't a felon isn't illegal. In fact, the reporter never said he couldn't pass a background check; he only suggested he probably couldn't pass one.

But reporters will do almost anything to sell a story.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Looks like somebody's got an agenda.

Wonder how much money MAIG "donated" to "uncle Jeff" for some good ole fashioned unbiased reporting.

Jeff Rossen is a Media scum, who just like the most of them will sell out to the highest bidder.

I got no use for this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

GAWD....
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    I guess it maybe open to interpretation. They told the seller when buying a Glock that they would not be able to pass a background check. That tells me that they can not legally own a gun, but the seller sold it anyway.
    What was actually said was "I probably couldn't pass a background check", and was said in a joking manner.

Would I sell a gun to someone who said that to me? No. But the fact that someone else did doesn't necessarily make it an illegal sale.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pappou68 View Post
    Amazing. I don't see why any law abiding citizen would oppose a background check. You need one for a CCW permit or license. Again, the moral majority are worried about individual rights. If it keeps BGs weapons purchases down, let them check all they want to. I also don't mind being scanned B4 a flight if it helps keep me safer in the air. Lets face it, the BGs don't care about laws or people's safety so why not really crack down on them. One word-@#$#$** lawyers that will defend anyone accused of anything for a buck. Enough already!
    Maybe it has to do with the fact that the average Joe Blow can not request a background check. If I want a background check done on you to sell you a gun, it has to be done through a FFL. Are you willing to pay the extra cost for the back ground check when doing a private sell?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    The "investigative report" is bogus to start with. They start it with talk of "on-line" gun sales. You cannot buy or sale guns on-line. You can advertise guns for sale on line, but you can't buy them on line. You can order a gun from a gun dealer on line, but must take delivery from a FFL dealer and accomplish the federal paperwork before taking possession of it. The whole article is nothing more than the media trying to use scare tactics on a subject that the uninformed have no knowledge about.
    l1a1 likes this.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The "investigative report" is bogus to start with. They start it with talk of "on-line" gun sales. You cannot buy or sale guns on-line. You can advertise guns for sale on line, but you can't buy them on line. You can order a gun from a gun dealer on line, but must take delivery from a FFL dealer and accomplish the federal paperwork before taking possession of it. The whole article is nothing more than the media trying to use scare tactics on a subject that the uninformed have no knowledge about.
    And unfortunately most people don't know that you have to go through an FFL and do the paper work. This article will accomplish what I assume is it's goal and cause hysteria.

Like the old song goes, You got that right! We need to start an organization. The Coalition to Prevent Crappy Journalism!

VIP Member
    I looked through the entire transcript, and while the tone and agenda is very slanted, I did not find one demonstrably untrue statement in the entire piece.

Mike - Not to get into an IPM (internet p*ssing match) Here's what I see...

To start - police-grade pistol. What is that?

semi automatic assault rifle Aren't assault rifles select fire?

what if you went and shot somebody with it? [B]What ifs? A lot of em here./B]
    tactical assault rifle. modified to use bullets for an ak-47. It was an SKS which was chambered for 7.62x39 before the AK was even invented.

they could go rob a bank or hurt somebody. What ifs

a glock 23 . with hollow-point bullets, made to inflict serious internal damage. Do we have any documentation of the bullet designers intent?

keep in mind, this is legal. I'm not certain but I believe it is against the law to knowingly sell a weapon to someone you believe is prohibited from buying

our buyers could be dangerous felons They could also be child predators but Chris Hansen would be doing the reporting then

Here is the smoking gun, Huge boldface lie....

jeff rossen , great story

This is not journalism any more than strapping a model rocket engine to a Chevy pickup with a full tank and a loose gascap for an investigative report into how a Chevy Truck will burst into flames when involved in a collision is.

Carry on. :)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links