Missouri- Alert Your Reps. Vote No Blair's Law!

Missouri- Alert Your Reps. Vote No Blair's Law!

This is a discussion on Missouri- Alert Your Reps. Vote No Blair's Law! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New Bill making it a class D Felony & up to 4 years in prison for ANY type of negligent discharge inside city limits of ...

Thread: Missouri- Alert Your Reps. Vote No Blair's Law!

Exclamation Missouri- Alert Your Reps. Vote No Blair's Law!

New Bill making it a class D Felony & up to 4 years in prison for ANY type of negligent discharge inside city limits of any municipality.

I'm all for holding people accountable for injuries and death stemming from a negligent discharge. But this law does not specify causing injury or death.

I think 4 years in prison and a class D Felony for negligently shooting your television when cleaning a gun is a little bit excessive.

You may think you are immune to having a negligent discharge, but you'd be deluding yourself. Every human is capable of a moments inattention and no one is immune from that.

This Bill stems from an incident of wanton recklessness in which people shooting a gun randomly into the air to celebrate New Years struck and killed an 11 year old child in Kansas City.

Now comes the knee jerk reaction to something which righteously should have stiff consequences. However, to lump every negligent discharge into the category of wanton recklessness is a little off the mark in my opinion.

Blair’s law aims to halt needless tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by kansascity.com
    On Wednesday, House Minority Leader Mike Talboy introduced what’s being called “Blair’s Law,” a bill that would make it a felony to negligently discharge a firearm within the limits of any municipality. A violation would be a class D felony, punishable by up to four years in prison.

“When innocent bystanders are wounded or tragically killed, as in this case, the perpetrator can be punished under existing statutes,” said Talboy, a Kansas City Democrat. “Blair’s Law would make the act of negligently discharging a weapon a crime in itself and hopefully serve as a deterrent to those who would irresponsibly fire weapons in populated areas.”

Read more here: Blair’s law aims to halt needless tragedy - KansasCity.com
    As far as I'm concerned this is a reckless bill aimed at unreasonable punishment for an act which in most circumstances fails to kill or injure. It's a slippery slope in my opinion. YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yep, this will save lives....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

RTFB:
    A person commits the crime of unlawful use of a weapon if, with criminal negligence, he or she discharges a firearm within or into the limits of any municipality.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    That seems to be a little more palatable as the statute is actually written.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Never trust a news article or press release to give the real content of a legislative bill.

In this case, the poor reporting probably will work against the bill, as it's obviously riling up lots of folks against it.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Sponsored Links