Educate yourselves and the masses!!!

This is a discussion on Educate yourselves and the masses!!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First of all, thanx to Archie for introducing the term "hoplophobe" to me in another thread. Did a little digging a found an excellent article ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tangoseal

Thread: Educate yourselves and the masses!!!

Lightbulb Educate yourselves and the masses!!!

First of all, thanx to Archie for introducing the term "hoplophobe" to me in another thread.

Did a little digging a found an excellent article on the education of the unreasonable fear of firearms by a psychiatrist.

Great read.

Let me know your thoughts as I will probably become more active in the future of educating those I'm in contact with and value the opinions of the members of this forum. (most of 'em, )

http://www.gunlaws.com/Hoplophobia%20Analysis.htm
    Last edited by kerberos; February 10th, 2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added link
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

2. Remove Ads

You should never try to break down a defense mechanism by force. Remember that defense mechanisms protect people from feelings they cannot handle, and if you take that protection away, you can cause serious psychological harm. And because defense mechanisms operate unconsciously, it won't do any good to show an anti-gun person this article or to point out that he's using defense mechanisms. Your goal is gently and gradually to help the person to have a more realistic and rational view of the world. This cannot be done in one hour or one day.

As you reach out to people in this way, you need to deal with both the illogical thought processes involved and the emotional reactions that anti-gun people have to firearms. When dealing with illogical thought processes, you are attempting to use reason and logic to convince the anti-gun person that his perception of other people and his perception of firearms are seriously inaccurate. The goal is to help him to understand that armed citizens and firearms are not threats, and may even save his life
    Section of article I've found most interesting so far, still digesting
    Last edited by kerberos; February 10th, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Excellent find. Thanks for sharing! I just started reading, and will come back to it when I get some more time, but it looks like good stuff.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Great info....many of my liberal friends (I am tea party conservative) have an unreasonable fear of guns. I have asked them to explain it and they cannot.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    Great info....many of my liberal friends (I am tea party conservative) have an unreasonable fear of guns. I have asked them to explain it and they cannot.
    Plant the seeds... they will grow.
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

I will try to make this brief. The article is based on certain premises which are mostly ignorance or fear on anti-gun people. Her conclusions are logical for those premises. But most of the folks that don't like guns do not fall into any of those categories. (I said most). They fall into:
    1. I know the gun won't go off on its own but responsible and experienced gun owners mess up and kill themselves or others. (this is true. We all tell ourselves we can never make a mistake but on this forum members have admitted to ND's and AD's and have learned from them. But those instances could have gone the other way)
    2. Most of the anti's I know are aware the cops will not be there in time. They are not ignorant of it. And thy are aware of violent crime. They understand where they live and they take all the precautions CC's do (SA, walking in groups, stay out of bad areas et al) . The choose to take a calculated risk that it won't happen to them. Some people on this forum think I am nuts because I don't carry in my house. It is a calculated risk I take.
    3. A lot of the anti's I know do not like guns in the house because of suicide attempts. A valid concern. Not all folks show signs of suicide and a lot take a very logical approach to it. It is in the news all the time that during a divorce, financial woes, personal reasons, an arguement, someone will take their life. A lot of these might have been prevented if a gun was not readily available. Don't flood me with what ifs and here are other ways to kill yourself. I know. But it is a lot easier in the spur of the moment to blow your head off than it is to fashion a noose in front of somebody. I am talking when someone is present and has the possibility to stop a suicide. I know some will bring up they were weak or what ever, but that is a personal judgement on the act and the individual killing themselves, not an answer to why somebody would not want a gun in a house.
    4.There are some pure pacifists out there. Some really believe they should not take a life. They are not nuts. Saying so is to question anybody's faith or beliefs. And it ain't none of your business or concern to try to change them.
    5.As far as gun related murders most anti's I know realize there will be murders with guns and other weapons. What they want is a perfect society where guns do not exist. They realize that this is not ever going to happen. So when I hear someone say that if there were no guns this would not have happened (Columbine type shooting) they are correct. But they know that BG's will always have guns.

In short, her premises are the sterotypical rabid anti. Not the regular day to day folks that just plain do not care for guns and don't understand why I can't take a picture of something instead of shooting it (targets, I don't hunt). I can't understand why they like opera.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I don't like guns because I can't afford all the guns I want therefore I hate them.
    suntzu and kerberos like this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Links