Both Houses have passed repeal of Virginia's OGAM law

This is a discussion on Both Houses have passed repeal of Virginia's OGAM law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bklynboy Not that I ever believe the Brady Bunch, but I seriously doubt that 66% of registered Virginia voters support keeping the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Both Houses have passed repeal of Virginia's OGAM law

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    Not that I ever believe the Brady Bunch, but I seriously doubt that 66% of registered Virginia voters support keeping the ban
    I'd like to know what they are talking about.

It might be an eye of the beholder thing. Could it be a poll not too long ago that found a majority did not want more restrictive laws? IIRC, the most common answer was no change w/ better enforcement of current laws.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

Also included a pic of 18 handguns wit the caption, "Other than gun traffickers, who needs this many handguns at once? Call Gov. McDonnell and urge him to veto HB 940."
    Do I/we need more than one handgun? The contents of my safe are not based upon need. They simply reflect my hobby and the various tools I enjoy using. Sheesh, this rhetoric convicts these folks of there (political comment censored). Talking with anti's often feels like telling Napoleon he is not Napoleon.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

VIP Member

Update: Va. Tech families to talk with Gov. McDonnel

Va. Tech survivors lobby to keep 1-gun-a-month law | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Va. Tech survivors lobby to keep 1-gun-a-month law
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © February 25, 2012
    RICHMOND

The parent of a Virginia Tech student wounded in the 2007 campus massacre says he's hopeful after appealing to Gov. Bob McDonnell to keep the state's one-gun-a-month law in place.

Andrew Goddard said McDonnell listened intently Saturday during a conference call with the families of Virginia Tech survivors and victims. He said the governor promised to get back to the group next week.

SNIP
    Actually he will get back to everyone "next week."

This was sent to him early enough in the session that he has to deal with it -- sign or veto. No dodge w/ a pocket veto, as with later bills.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

RT “opinions” in today’s paper

A number of RT “opinions” in today’s paper decry “gun” bills in passing.

The following focuses on influencing the OGAM bill:

Wilder silent as his legacy takes a bullet - Roanoke.com

Christina Nuckols: Wilder silent as his legacy takes a bullet

By Christina Nuckols | The Roanoke Times

Former Gov. Douglas Wilder has his own unique sense of timing.

Six days after the state Senate voted to repeal Virginia's law limiting individuals to the purchase of one handgun a month, Wilder surfaced to make his first public comment about this year's effort to quash one of the major legacies of his gubernatorial term

SNIP

Wilder surely knows that he's the only one capable of saving the handgun law now. McDonnell desperately wants to be on the ticket running against the country's first black president.

His chance at being chosen as the Republican vice presidential candidate wouldn't be helped by a confrontation with the nation's first elected black governor. Wilder is a master at inflicting maximum injury on his opponents, and McDonnell doesn't have the stomach for that kind of smash-mouth combat.

So now it's up to Wilder. If he lets this moment pass, he'll have to live with the fact that he let one of his major legacies slip away. I fear it won't be the only victim if pistols are once again sold by the bushel in the commonwealth.

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Where did they get this idiot, Christina Nuckols. She makes Dan Casey look like the poster boy for the NRA, GOA and every other pro-gun group rolled into one.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Contact the Governor

If you would like to have your voice heard on repealing the One Handgun a Month law, you can send a message to Governor McDonnell by clicking here:

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/Ab...ctGovernor.cfm

For the subject put: Please SIGN HB 940 and SB 323!

For the message: Please SIGN HB 940 and SB 323 to repeal the One Handgun a Month law. This law has done nothing but burden law-abiding gun owners.

or compose whatever you want.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Repeal signed!!!!

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL]

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

YES! Governor McDonnell just signed the repeal of One Handgun a Month into law!

CAUTION - CAUTION - CAUTION!

The One Handgun A Month repeal does NOT GO INTO EFFECT UNTIL JULY 1, 2012!!!

So, until July 1, if you don't have a CHP or fall under one of the current exceptions, do not buy more than one handgun per month.

Congratulations, Virginia!

Our thanks to Governor McDonnell for signing the bill. Also our thanks to Delegate Lingamfelter and Senator Carrico for introducing the bills and shepherding them to fruition, and to the following legislators for their pro-gun vote:

Senators:

Black, Blevins, Carrico, Deeds, Edwards, Garrett, Hanger, Martin, McDougle, McWaters, Newman, Obenshain, Reeves, Ruff, Smith, Stanley, Stosch, Stuart, Vogel, Wagner, Watkins

Delegates:

Anderson, Bell, Richard P., Bell, Robert B., Byron, Cline, Cole, Comstock, Cosgrove, Cox, J.A., Cox, M.K., Crockett-Stark, Dudenhefer, Edmunds, Fariss, Farrell, Garrett, Gilbert, Greason, Habeeb, Head, Helsel, Hodges, Hugo, Iaquinto, Ingram, Joannou, Johnson, Jones, Kilgore, Knight, Landes, Lewis, Lingamfelter, Loupassi, Marshall, D.W., Marshall, R.G., Massie, Merricks, Miller, Minchew, Morefield, Morris, O'Bannon, O'Quinn, Orrock, Peace, Pogge, Poindexter, Putney, Ramadan, Ransone, Robinson, Rush, Scott, E.T., Sherwood, Stolle, Tata, Villanueva, Ware, R.L., Watson, Webert, Wilt, Wright, Yancey, Yost, Mr. Speaker (Howell)

Voting ANTI-GUN:

Senators:

Barker, Colgan, Ebbin, Favola, Herring, Howell, Locke, Lucas, Marsden, Marsh, McEachin, Miller, J.C., Miller, Y.B., Norment, Northam, Petersen, Puckett, Puller, Saslaw

Delegates:

Albo, Alexander, BaCote, Brink, Bulova, Carr, Dance, Englin, Filler-Corn, Herring, Hope, Howell, A.T., James, Keam, Kory, LeMunyon, Lopez, May, McClellan, McQuinn, Morrissey, Plum, Rust, Sickles, Spruill, Surovell, Torian, Toscano, Tyler, Ward, Ware, O., Watts
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Blood will run in the gutters and ditches and VA rivers will run backwards.

GM
    Sounds good to me. Good luck!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I would like to point out something that I hope is not lost on the folks on the inside of the beltway:

This is a great example of effective leadership uniting both a house and a senate to accomplish a goal, even a controversial one.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

So does that mean everybody has to buy one handgun a month

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    This is excellent news. Silly laws like that do not accomplish anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links